• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

As a member of the ACC, am I supposed to be glad that Duke won?

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it also shows that conferences are awarded for tournament performances, and that it breaks down to awarding each university in the conference. THerefore, ND benefits (financially) from Duke's tournament performance.

So based on the article, each Duke win earned ND an additional $17,368. Which is less than what 6 football season tickets will generate (between the 20's). Or cover 1/4 of a year's athletic scholarship expense.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do whatever you want. I root for the Pac for the reasons I listed above.

ND pocketed almost 87k for Duke winning it, not counting the money the got from all the other wins by the ACC.

The ACC had the best record in the dance of any conference at 17-5. More than 1/3 of those wins were from Duke. Hell, the Pac was 2nd which to me takes me aback because of my thought on the quality of our conference this season. I don't think P12 was the second best conference, but definitely better than I thought. Everyone in the ACC could definitely be stoked about the tourney wins and the money, same as the Pac. There's also the attention garnered by viewership, which, believe me speaking from the west, is a big deal. Your games are more likely to be televised. Gameday, online attention, Sportscenter, all of it.

The nation perceives your conference to be the best, because you proved it. We might be forced to rethink the B12 or the BE like some of the rankings showed. When the BE put 11 teams in the dance in 2011, 9 of them didn't make it past the 1st weekend. But one of the two who did was UCONN and they won it all.

I hate Duke too, but they also aren't in my conference. I hate UW, UCLA, ASU, and Oregon, but I want them all to do well in March. Makes the Pac look good, which helps AZ look good; and, be better.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because I don't think that I am.

Exceptions to the " Im glad a team in my league won the national title" argument are as follows: Bitter rivals of team that won ( ie UNC-Duke, OSU/Michigan?michigan State, Nova/Gtown etc etc) OR teams that recently joined said winning conference ( Maryland/B10, ND/Louisville/ACC, Missouri/A&M/SEC etc)... special exemptions COULD be argued for fans of teams in the ACC to root against Duke/UNC, fans in B10 to root against MSU, fans in P12 to root against UCLA/Zona etc... HOWEVER if you do not meet any of these qualifications then YES you should be happy when a team from your league wins the title because it helps your leagues rep which in turn can aid them in getting more bids in future years. As an Iowa fan I cheer for all B10 teams come tourney time ( even MSU ) but I certainly DO NOT cheer for Iowa State. LOL

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll try to work on it, but $87K doesn't seem like much to determine who to cheer for. If some athlete wants to play for an ACC team, maybe it's better if you're the best ACC team, or maybe even the only one in the tournament. For that reason it seems like it makes more sense to root against all the other ACC teams in the tourney.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2006-2013 (2014 too) was definitely a dark time for the ACC.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exceptions to the " Im glad a team in my league won the national title" argument are as follows: Bitter rivals of team that won ( ie UNC-Duke, OSU/Michigan?michigan State, Nova/Gtown etc etc) OR teams that recently joined said winning conference ( Maryland/B10, ND/Louisville/ACC, Missouri/A&M/SEC etc)... special exemptions COULD be argued for fans of teams in the ACC to root against Duke/UNC, fans in B10 to root against MSU, fans in P12 to root against UCLA/Zona etc... HOWEVER if you do not meet any of these qualifications then YES you should be happy when a team from your league wins the title because it helps your leagues rep which in turn can aid them in getting more bids in future years. As an Iowa fan I cheer for all B10 teams come tourney time ( even MSU ) but I certainly DO NOT cheer for Iowa State. LOL

Fuck Iowa

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't get this logic. As a Gophers fan, why the hell should I be happy if Wisconsin, IU, Iowa, Ohio State, Purdue etc win the title? Generally the only B1G school I root for is Michigan and that's because I really like Belien. I could have given two shits about them before he got there. Those schools winning it all won't help the Gophers get better players, the Gophers being a better program will.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In basketball, more than many other sports, conference perception is important. Since teams are chosen for the tournament as opposed to earning their bids ( with the exception of auto bids ) it is good to have your league have a strong national perception. It helps with bids, it helps with recruiting and it helps with attracting better coaches.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In basketball, more than many other sports, conference perception is important. Since teams are chosen for the tournament as opposed to earning their bids ( with the exception of auto bids ) it is good to have your league have a strong national perception. It helps with bids, it helps with recruiting and it helps with attracting better coaches.

68 teams make the tournament. If you're good enough and your resume is good enough you'll get selected no matter what conference you play in. But still cheering for them to win the title? That's absurd IMO. The ACC will still annually be a top 5 conference, whether Duke won or lost. The B1G will still annually be a top 5 conference whether Wisconsin won or lost that game. The B1G seems to be doing just fine for not having won the title since 2000. There were years where they were perceived as the best conference as a whole. Just didn't happen to have the team that won it all. Like the SEC has won 3 of the last 10 titles and they are routinely considered the worst P5 conference over that time frame.

FantasyBelowZero

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get this logic. As a Gophers fan, why the hell should I be happy if Wisconsin, IU, Iowa, Ohio State, Purdue etc win the title? Generally the only B1G school I root for is Michigan and that's because I really like Belien. I could have given two shits about them before he got there. Those schools winning it all won't help the Gophers get better players, the Gophers being a better program will.

I don't think you should be happy per-say. It does benefit the conference in the rankings in following years, and proves the strength of the conference, but I don't think that we as fans have to be "happy" about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
68 teams make the tournament. If you're good enough and your resume is good enough you'll get selected no matter what conference you play in. But still cheering for them to win the title? That's absurd IMO. The ACC will still annually be a top 5 conference, whether Duke won or lost. The B1G will still annually be a top 5 conference whether Wisconsin won or lost that game. The B1G seems to be doing just fine for not having won the title since 2000. There were years where they were perceived as the best conference as a whole. Just didn't happen to have the team that won it all. Like the SEC has won 3 of the last 10 titles and they are routinely considered the worst P5 conference over that time frame.

If I'm watching the NC game and I don't have a dog in the fight, but a team from my conference is playing, I'll take it. All things being equal, I'll take the conference recognition and whatever else comes with it. That's not absurd. If you hate the team in your conference that is playing, then you don't have to root for them. That's not absurd either.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm watching the NC game and I don't have a dog in the fight, but a team from my conference is playing, I'll take it. All things being equal, I'll take the conference recognition and whatever else comes with it. That's not absurd. If you hate the team in your conference that is playing, then you don't have to root for them. That's not absurd either.

Nobody is recognizing the ACC for winning the title. Everybody is recognizing Duke for winning the title. This is basketball, not football, it's not like this will help the ACC get more teams in the tournament next year. If the ACC runs off 7 in a row like the SEC did in football, then sure they'll start getting recognition as a whole, but that isn't likely to happen. And if they somehow did, it still wouldn't help them in the next season in terms of getting more bids to the tournament. Wisconsin winning the title isn't all of the sudden going to help Rutgers, Northwestern and Penn State recruit better.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you should be happy per-say. It does benefit the conference in the rankings in following years, and proves the strength of the conference, but I don't think that we as fans have to be "happy" about it.

That doesn't mean anything in basketball though. The previous year has no bearing on how the tournament will be seeded or selected for the following year. This year is a perfect example. Uconn out of the AAC won the title last year. This year you could argue SMU was underseeded based on their resume, and Temple or Tulsa didn't make it as bubble teams.

And while the ACC did perform the best in the tournament, there was nothing to suggest they were the best conference during regular season, however.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody is recognizing the ACC for winning the title. Everybody is recognizing Duke for winning the title. This is basketball, not football, it's not like this will help the ACC get more teams in the tournament next year. If the ACC runs off 7 in a row like the SEC did in football, then sure they'll start getting recognition as a whole, but that isn't likely to happen. And if they somehow did, it still wouldn't help them in the next season in terms of getting more bids to the tournament. Wisconsin winning the title isn't all of the sudden going to help Rutgers, Northwestern and Penn State recruit better.

Again, I don't think that it directly helps any ACC teams get into the tourney next year. But I do think that it helps conference exposure, I think it plays a part in recruiting, and maybe sponsorship opportunities for the conference tourney or other TV deals, aside from the actual money that conferences make from wins in the tourney. I'm not saying that it completely alters a conference in those ways. I'm saying that it doesn't hurt, and it doesn't mean absolutely nothing. It helps, to whatever extent. IF that extent is not good enough for you to root for Duke, then by all means, don't do it.

If the Pac had 3 teams in the S16 this past year and AZ won it, all teams in the conference get money from the wins. I think ESPN/CBS carries more P12 games (even if only P12 games that AZ plays) which is better exposure for both teams. West Coast recruits who want more exposure will better consider a team in the P12 instead of going further from home, or as opposed to a team from the MWC that might be home for them, because of some increase in P12 exposure. Sponsors are more likely to orient toward games or events in which the defending champs are playing (reg season or conference tourney), and maybe national sports channels are more apt to cover P12 basketball highlights and analysis. Gameday, etc., is more likely to come out to cover a game that isn't necessarily in Tucson, even if AZ plays. Hell, maybe P12 arenas sell out more when AZ comes to town because they are defending champs (or the conference tourney). Maybe these are intangibles and don't immediately point to a major change just because AZ wins it. But saying that it does absolutely nothing for the conference is dismissive. It may not be the scale that you think would be acceptable to root for Duke, and that's fine. I'm not telling you that you have to root for Duke, or insinuating anything because you don't. But a P12 team winning it all means something to the P12.

TangoBlue

I'd cabeceo that cutie!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ACC has 6 of the last 15 National Titles(Duke 2 of the last 6)
The ACC has 9 of the last 25 National Titles(Duke 5 of the 25)

You're welcome jonvi.:lol:

Douggie,

True but.....and also with admiration I can say you did some of the finest cherry-picking I've ever seen....lol Enjoy Duke's championship. We'll get ya this fall though!

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Douggie,

True but.....and also with admiration I can say you did some of the finest cherry-picking I've ever seen....lol Enjoy Duke's championship. We'll get ya this fall though!

My buddy tango, if you cannot cherry pick in a bragging conversation then what the hell good is it to even talk about it? Tough luck with the Wisconsin game. I felt sure it would be a Kentucky vs Duke final.

TangoBlue

I'd cabeceo that cutie!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My buddy tango, if you cannot cherry pick in a bragging conversation then what the hell good is it to even talk about it? Tough luck with the Wisconsin game. I felt sure it would be a Kentucky vs Duke final.

Me too Douggie, but I knew that game was a loss for UK in the first 5 minutes... when you see Tyler Ulis defending Kaminsky on a switch......well...you have horrifying visions of a Mississippi Leg Hound sniffing and hunching on your new "hardly worn at all" pantslegs.

But Alas and alack...poor Yorick I knew him well.