• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Arizona @ UW

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
finally, the end of the crap preseason and on to conference games.

Game is at Husky Stadium Saturday 9/28/13 at 4pm pacific. TV on fox (channel 13/113 in the NW)
UW is favored by 8.5

Last season UW had the worst loss of the season in a 52-17 beating on the road in Tucson. Matt Scott and Ka’Deem Carey both had huge games while Keith Price was shaky and the defense was clearly gassed before the end of the 3rd quarter.

This year Scott is gone and now they turn to a freshman QB named BJ Denker. Carey is still there and so far against 3 really bad teams has picked right up where he was last year. He has 299 yards over two games this season with a 7y per carry average. Their big play maker on defense is Tra’Mayne Bondurant who has 19 tackles and 3 picks so far this season.

It's no secret what Arizona is going to do on offense. You are going to see a fast flying uptempo no huddle option based offense that at times rivals Oregon's for the most dangerous in the conference. At least it was with Scott in the backfield. Denker is a left hander who probably won't destroy most teams in the air as he has just over a 50% completion record against very bad teams so far, but he is a real run threat in the zone read who already has 224y on 40 carries. What makes them dangerous even with a young QB is all of the options they run out of their base offense. Once the QB reads the zone exchange if he keeps it he can roll out and decide to run or throw on the second tier option.

UW has faced nothing but some form of uptempo all year so far and has been doing it in practice since last spring camp, however nothing they have seen to date could prepare them for the speed of this offense and the running of Carey. Still, with Scott gone and this being the first real action by their new QB no one quite knows what to expect from them in this game. There is no doubt the defense has come a long way since their last meeting. Sark said it was that game last year that compelled them to go to the uptempo themselves. Yes, the duck fans all believe it was Oregon that drove them to it, but it was really what Rich Rod was running and how it worked against UW. If they can put any contain on both Carey and the QB and stay focused for 4 full quarters it could be a long day for them on Lake Washington.

Keith Price has been a different QB so far this year and the newly sped up offense has excelled beyond expectations thus far, but again against sub par defenses. Junior RB Bishop Sankey was impressive last year despite Price's struggles and a make shift O line. There is every reason to believe he can do it again in this revamped offense against a Pac12 defense not known to be among the leaders in run stopping. With all of the added targets in Mickens, Ross, Smith, and others along with KW and ASJ Price has plenty of weapons to use to show his ills of last year against quality teams are really gone. Arizona normally plays their corners back in a cover 3 sort of look which should let Kasen be a much larger part of this game than he has been so far in the OOC and they really don't have anyone that can keep up with ASJ or Sankey in passing situations.

You just get the sense that this could be a high scoring day for both teams unless either defense can rise to the challenge of stopping the incredible weapons of the other team. On paper UW should have an advantage on both fronts. A home game always favors your defense and a 5th year senior QB with so many weapons should be able to feed on what hasn't been a stout defense in prior years.

The question is if UW needs to drive and score late will Price carry this team? In two years as a starter he has set the career passing TD mark as a UW QB, but name a game he carried this team to a victory. You have never felt to this point in his career that he is a clutch leader in the tough games. Until he has one of those victories there will always be that question. He appears to have left the bad decisions and fumbles of last year behind him, but against who?

UW needs big days from all of their skill players and we need to see a complete effort from the defense, but my focus will be on #17. If he comes through and it totally clutch I think we finally stop talking about last year, if not the questions about him as the starter will continue despite being 3-1 to start the season.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott was inconsistent we rattled him pretty good. All you had to do is put pressure on him it was int city.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn nice write up. Should be a good game. North and South clashing in the conference opener. Im expecting a shootout with the winner taking it by 10 or less. GL to the Huskies.

BEAR DOWN

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great as usual Wiz. Can't add anything really.

Unfortunately I'll be missing it. Deer season opens Saturday and I'll be up beating the brush. Going to record it though and try not to log on to SportsHoopla or any sport site when I get back. Hard to do though lol

Go UW!

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
34-17 UW. That's my call.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...31-30 UW!

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...31-30 UW!

If our defense gives up 30 at home I'm not sure we win that game, but more important that won't bode well for the coming gauntlet of doom stretch of games. They need to be a lot more improved than that if everyone's goals are to be met.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If our defense gives up 30 at home I'm not sure we win that game, but more important that won't bode well for the coming gauntlet of doom stretch of games. They need to be a lot more improved than that if everyone's goals are to be met.

Yea but there run defense is horrid, but they have an explosive offense expect a shootout!

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea but there run defense is horrid, but they have an explosive offense expect a shootout!

They have a frosh QB in his first conference game and it's on the road in a very tough place to play. They may have ran a vanilla offense over their OOC given how bad those teams were, but this kid will not have ran the whole playbook in a live game before. They are likely to rely even more heavily on the run which will allow UW to use their jumbo package most of the game with some man cover in the back. Carey will get some yards and their QB may escape contain a few times, but if UW keeps them from breaking many for long plays it is a very manageable game. I just don't see this QB beating them through the air and any team in the Pac that can't do either run or pass is in for a long day.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have a frosh QB in his first conference game and it's on the road in a very tough place to play. They may have ran a vanilla offense over their OOC given how bad those teams were, but this kid will not have ran the whole playbook in a live game before. They are likely to rely even more heavily on the run which will allow UW to use their jumbo package most of the game with some man cover in the back. Carey will get some yards and their QB may escape contain a few times, but if UW keeps them from breaking many for long plays it is a very manageable game. I just don't see this QB beating them through the air and any team in the Pac that can't do either run or pass is in for a long day.

Containment is key what do you guys play 3 or 4 down d line? If The dawgs are smart on there option crap and I do see a couple of ints. Blitz a lot on 3rd and longs. I also don't think Uofa has the Wrs they had last year so your corners should be able to lock them up. Containment and d line depth is crucial in beating Uofa. However though there qb is just a runner which can create confusion on option reads for defenses but to be honest Scott could run and throw, Denker is a better runner but he has one of the weakest arms in the PAC.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Containment is key what do you guys play 3 or 4 down d line? If The dawgs are smart on there option crap and I do see a couple of ints. Blitz a lot on 3rd and longs. I also don't think Uofa has the Wrs they had last year so your corners should be able to lock them up. Containment and d line depth is crucial in beating Uofa. However though there qb is just a runner which can create confusion on option reads for defenses but to be honest Scott could run and throw, Denker is a better runner but he has one of the weakest arms in the PAC.

Hau'oli Kikaha plans to deliver warm Hawaiian style greetings to Denker this Saturday. Lot's of Aloha spirit coming his way.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where you are getting Denker as a freshman. He's a senior, JC transfer, and he was Scott's back-up last year. He played the whole game against Colorado last year going 12/14 136yds and 2TD. Don't get me wrong, he is nowhere near Scott, nor is he even a particularly good QB (imo), but he's not a freshman. He's a pretty good runner because (among other things) he wasn't in high school last year.

I still think that AZ has a ways to go before beating UW, especially in Seattle. Denker can't pass, and if he doesn't start tomorrow, then it's only a matter of time until UW's rush D floods the box and stops the run game. Even bubble screens would help. And Denker running is probably the biggest threat on an AZ pass play, so there is a chance that it could get interesting. I just think UW takes it. Beast of luck to ya, not trying to sharp-shoot you, just thought you would want to know. Certainly an understandable mix-up, Denker is known to look like a rookie from time to time.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where you are getting Denker as a freshman. He's a senior, JC transfer, and he was Scott's back-up last year. He played the whole game against Colorado last year going 12/14 136yds and 2TD. Don't get me wrong, he is nowhere near Scott, nor is he even a particularly good QB (imo), but he's not a freshman. He's a pretty good runner because (among other things) he wasn't in high school last year.

I still think that AZ has a ways to go before beating UW, especially in Seattle. Denker can't pass, and if he doesn't start tomorrow, then it's only a matter of time until UW's rush D floods the box and stops the run game. Even bubble screens would help. And Denker running is probably the biggest threat on an AZ pass play, so there is a chance that it could get interesting. I just think UW takes it. Beast of luck to ya, not trying to sharp-shoot you, just thought you would want to know. Certainly an understandable mix-up, Denker is known to look like a rookie from time to time.

Having just gotten back from the game, I can say I am shocked to hear that Denker isn't a Freshman... he is terrible... not even trying to talk S#it here, he's just bad.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having just gotten back from the game, I can say I am shocked to hear that Denker isn't a Freshman... he is terrible... not even trying to talk S#it here, he's just bad.

No offense taken, he's a dumpster fire. Good Game.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Denker was terrible last night, he doesn't look like a pac-12 QB to me.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denker was terrible last night, he doesn't look like a pac-12 QB to me.
Fun fact: Denker wasn't recruited by any Division I, II, or III school in the nation at QB. Rich Rod? :wtf: