• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Arizona @ Oregon

520GGATO

Southern Arizona Servin'
Hoopla Cash
$ 85.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More like Oregon "locked down" and blew yer azz out @ the end. Let's just tell the truth here.:scratch:

Yea, of course. Oregon played crazy good and couldn't miss. But that doesn't mean arizona didn't play like crap. They went back to there one-on-one bull shit on the offensive end.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can just as easy for most fan bases take the air out of them with something as small as a 7 point lead.

Out of there comfort zone in terms of a different gym, different city, with the added pressure of a road team going hard as he'll you because your a top 25 team and they are unranked. The ranked team has all sorts of pressure and the unranked team has nothing to lose.

Like I said they have an effect, it's just not as large as people like to think.

Fans themselves maybe a 5 percent advantage if that and the venue and pressure a good 10 advantage.

I don't know. I think that it all adds up. Take nothing away from Oregon, but their fans definitely helped rally behind them, and you could certainly tell that AZ got a little shook down the stretch. I think a lot of that has to do with confidence. And I think that playing in front of a sold out crowd who is loud as hell, helps you have more confidence in your shot, and that raises FG%s. I also think that playing in front of 10k opposing fans that are loud as hell rattles teams a little bit, especially when you see it helping the confidence of the opposing team (3pt%). It takes momentum away from you, and gives it to the home team. I think you are right on the hypothetical percentages, but I think it'a swing, so it matters even more. If these two teams played today in an empty gym, I think that AZ probably wins by like 10, because Oregon is a good team. But I think that anywhere but in Oregon, we could take them out of it. I think that playing in Oregon not only keeps them in it, but it also takes us out of it a little. And I think that's enough to sway an outcome. The travel and the different gym I think are pretty minor. I see teams (AZ to be exact) play well in neutral locations. I just think that when you have thousands of opposing fans screaming, you feel it at the line, and you feel it when the place erupts when they make big shots. I think the home players feel it too, and it drives their confidence through the roof.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, of course. Oregon played crazy good and couldn't miss. But that doesn't mean arizona didn't play like crap. They went back to there one-on-one bull shit on the offensive end.

Dude, don't expect for an OSU fan to know the finer points of basketball. Every time AZ loses, the other team just beats the shit out of them. And every time AZ wins, the other team just plays bad.

CoolStoryBro

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. I think that it all adds up. Take nothing away from Oregon, but their fans definitely helped rally behind them, and you could certainly tell that AZ got a little shook down the stretch. I think a lot of that has to do with confidence. And I think that playing in front of a sold out crowd who is loud as hell, helps you have more confidence in your shot, and that raises FG%s. I also think that playing in front of 10k opposing fans that are loud as hell rattles teams a little bit, especially when you see it helping the confidence of the opposing team (3pt%). It takes momentum away from you, and gives it to the home team. I think you are right on the hypothetical percentages, but I think it'a swing, so it matters even more. If these two teams played today in an empty gym, I think that AZ probably wins by like 10, because Oregon is a good team. But I think that anywhere but in Oregon, we could take them out of it. I think that playing in Oregon not only keeps them in it, but it also takes us out of it a little. And I think that's enough to sway an outcome. The travel and the different gym I think are pretty minor. I see teams (AZ to be exact) play well in neutral locations. I just think that when you have thousands of opposing fans screaming, you feel it at the line, and you feel it when the place erupts when they make big shots. I think the home players feel it too, and it drives their confidence through the roof.

I can't really argue with you there. All good points. The confidence boost a team feels at home with all those fans is absolutely meaningful. When they realize they can hang in there because of it, it just makes that much more of a difference. On a neutral court AZ all day. I guess it all adds up really on any given day at any given venue, those percentages can absolutely swing and the fans cane have a pretty decent Impact on the game for sure. Other times you can take those fuckers right out of it up early with a steady and consistent 5+ lead.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give credit to where credit is due Zona fans. Man up and take the loss. You're still probably a #1 seed in the tourney and this also puts another PAC team into the tourney.

520GGATO

Southern Arizona Servin'
Hoopla Cash
$ 85.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give credit to where credit is due Zona fans. Man up and take the loss. You're still probably a #1 seed in the tourney and this also puts another PAC team into the tourney.

Yes, oregon won and AZ loss. I agree with you. The good thing about this is that oregon is now in. The more the better.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How about you go back and read all of the comments from this board, and the board on AZ's page before we switched to this one for the game. The majority of us all knew that this would be a close one, that we could lose, and that with MKA rocking, and Oregon playing for a ticket, that they would be ready to win. They wanted it more, and they took it. What else are you looking for? I know you are new to CBB, but this is how it goes. It's tough to win on the road, against a good team. AZ knows that they have the #1 seed pretty much locked up, and Oregon is playing for their lives. They played amazing, and they won.

Good job. Obviously it doesn't mean that Oregon is better. AZ made a bunch of mistakes. Some of those were due to Oregon playing well, some were due to AZ not playing well. And some of those were due to it being a tough place to play. Can't do much when you play a team that shoots so much better from 3 than they do from 2.

Not going to win them all. Oregon is playing good basketball down the stretch. We all know this. We all know that they really wanted the win. AZ seemed to think that they could play for 30 minutes and coast. But Oregon made some shots, got their crowd going crazy, and AZ was on their heels. Game over.

Refs called a horrible game in general. Way too many fouls and turnovers for both teams. It was a difficult game to watch. Neither offense could get going. I think that Oregon was a little liberal with the fouls because they knew it would disrupt the offense, and that we are a bad team from the line. It worked, Oregon made shots down the stretch, punched us in the mouth, and won the game.

Other than that, not much else to say. I'd have more of a discussion with you, but I haven't seen you comment on a single basketball game this season, until the second half of their last game of the year. Once Oregon loses, you will be gone again. Congrats on the victory. Oregon is playing good basketball right now. Hopefully they can rep the Pac well in the tourney.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Typical Oregon fan only showing up for games against Arizona... where have you been all season brotha? :lol: Seriously though most of our fans have given you props. Read my original post on this game thread.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm wondering about you Arizona fans....Yes it was not a loss that anyone likes, however it was a loss that happens in the other teams' place. I have read some posts that lead me to believe that Arizona fans are throwing the towel in.....Are you serious????...Deja vous ....."whatever".....come on folks...it's not the end of the world..;...Lot's more to go.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona is a better team....bigger, faster...even last night. Oregon won on hype. Sorry mamba. Your boys did good, but Arizona is gonna kick the ducks ass if they play again this year. Oregon should have saved this W for the P12T.

The loss means nothing other than it was one loss.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona is a better team....bigger, faster...even last night. Oregon won on hype. Sorry mamba. Your boys did good, but Arizona is gonna kick the ducks ass if they play again this year. Oregon should have saved this W for the P12T.

The loss means nothing other than it was one loss.

Agree, then disagree. Yes we are better, but for some reason that team matches up well with us. They didn't shoot lights out in Tucson yet were beating us most of the game.

On the "shoulda kept it for the P12 tourney".... That win just got them into the NCAA tourney, no matter what happens in the p12 tourney, so it's their biggest win of the season by far.

Anyways we gonna run through Vegas there will be Cats fans EVERYWHERE that's our town next week!

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree, then disagree. Yes we are better, but for some reason that team matches up well with us. They didn't shoot lights out in Tucson yet were beating us most of the game.

On the "shoulda kept it for the P12 tourney".... That win just got them into the NCAA tourney, no matter what happens in the p12 tourney, so it's their biggest win of the season by far.

Anyways we gonna run through Vegas there will be Cats fans EVERYWHERE that's our town next week!

Took your ass off ignore just to see if you learned some humility. I see you have not. You like to show up on other threads and knock their teams and their fans with stupid/arrogant comments Maybe when you finally understand Arizona without Ashley is not a top 5 team and maybe when you learn something about how the game is played as it takes at least 8 very good players to make a team and Arizona is not that team.....sorry....... Miller is using a lot of "smoke and mirrors" to get that team to do well and he has done a magnificent job. Arizona recently had a few wins over "middle of the road" teams and you cite them as the 2nd coming...sorry it's not going to happen in spite of your adolescent comments on every thread on this forum. Have a nice day.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HAhaha, rune, I like how your first post says that AZ fans are throwing in the towel, and that we shouldn't. It's happens, like you said, and that we shouldn't be so broken up about it. Then, when an AZ fan comes on and says that he isn't broken up about it, you take it as egotistical, and say that Miller is smoke and mirrors, and that AZ isn't a top 5 team. Nice.

I, for one, am no really broken up about it. Oregon is playing very solid basketball, and it was a loss on the road to a team that just refused to lose. Having a tough venue to play in, certainly helped to propel them to the win. Not taking anything away from them, but they definitely had more to play for.

AZ has the #4 SOS, and that has improved from a month ago, when Ashley got hurt. So I think that "middle of the road teams" is a little inaccurate. We have beaten some teams close, and had a few losses, but we have also beaten the RPI #31 team by 28, at their house, where they are 16-2 this year (including a win over KU). We also beat Utah on the road, and even though they are struggling on the road, Utah was 19-2 at home. So AZ has proven that they can play very solid basketball without Ashley. They have also proven that they can struggle. Same as everyone. Even Florida has played some questionable basketball on the road (Vandy and Ol Miss). But those two teams are around the top 100 RPI, and not top 50. So it is what it is. Duke, KU, and Cuse all losing shows that "top 5" is certainly subjective.

So again, this is CBB. AZ is going to lose, especially on the road, and to teams that are playing out of their minds because they have so much to prove. It's not an excuse, it's just reality. ASU, Oregon, and Cal all wanted it more, and they played a better game. Those teams (especially ASU and Oregon) are solid teams though. And beating CU in Boulder is tough to do, with or without Dinwiddie. Good news is, AZ doesn't have to play so deep in enemy territory, for the rest of the season. Tons of AZ will be in LV for the P12 tourney, and they will be out en mass in SD and LA for the tourney. So I'm not worried about it. AZ fans will be among the first to call out our team's weaknesses. And we certainly have them like every other team. But again, teams have won it all without being 8 deep. And we have some guys that are getting pretty close to filling in good minutes on the bench. But over all, our starters are fine. They have not been pushed this year, and no one is logging more than 32 minutes per game.

If we play AZ basketball, we'll be fine. If we don't, we won't. Same as everyone else. I think that Miller gets them ready for a good P12 tourney, and we ultimately solidify a #1 seed in the West. From there, we play in SD and LA, and have a ton of support in those areas. We have played in big game after big game this year, against top 5 opponents, and shown that we can win. So I think they will carry that into the tourney. Ashley was certainly helpful for us, but he did struggle in our win @SDSU, he was average in the win against Duke, and below average in our win @ UCLA. So we can play without him. He was really the 3rd or 4th best player on the team. You act like he was our star.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HAhaha, rune, I like how your first post says that AZ fans are throwing in the towel, and that we shouldn't. It's happens, like you said, and that we shouldn't be so broken up about it. Then, when an AZ fan comes on and says that he isn't broken up about it, you take it as egotistical, and say that Miller is smoke and mirrors, and that AZ isn't a top 5 team. Nice.

Haha. This.

FORKWDEVIL

shut up and make me a sandwich
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon off bubble ASU in bubble as always.
To AZ, This Duck sighting took you to a 2 seed.

ASU needs to make it to the finals of the P12 tourney.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Zona is still a solid #1 seed, thanks to the huge drop-off in resume after Zona, Florida, and WSU. That fact that Nova, Virginia, Duke, and Kansas have a shot at a #1 shows how solid Zona's 1 seed is right now.

A loss to Utah or Washington in the tourney would put them in danger of dropping out of the 1st line. Anything else, they'll be a 1.

I also think that Zona winning the Pac12 tourney + Florida failing to win the SEC tourney = Arizona as #1 overall.

520GGATO

Southern Arizona Servin'
Hoopla Cash
$ 85.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AZ can't win 'em all. The season's not over yet. Still got a whole lot to be played. And Miller usually has his teams playing best when the tourney hits. AZ's gonna have a whole different mentality once the tourney hits. And we have all sseen what this team is capable of without Bash. I'm not worried.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, AZ is still a solid #1 seed right now. 28-3 with the #4 SOS, still #1 in RPI, BPI, Kenpom, Sagarin, etc. They're fine. If they win their first game, and probably their second, they'll still be the #1 seed in the West.