• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Any intriguing QB's in 2016 Draft Class that we Could Possibly Land Post-Round one?

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My comments about how bad the bears have been is simply showing that there is no plan for the future. We were that bad and still have nobody in the wings to be a franchise quarterback
because they were getting ready to be a perrenial playoff team. There was no point since he was never going to be playing. They were not drafting him to take over immediately, Rodgers had nothing to do with the team being 4-12 or 8-8.

"getting ready to be a perennial playoff team"? Thats' what you wrote? Okay... So the GB Packers KNEW Everything was going to work out 5 years after they drafted Rodgers??? They were "getting ready"?

THAT'S MY WHOLE POINT!!! There is NO way to know if this mythical high pick QB will be the future of the team... Instead of planning for the distant* future. (*and yes 3-4 years IS the distant future in the NFL) A SMARTER move that COULD help them immediately, as in 2016 season, is a top Defender or Olineman.
GB lucked into Rodgers falling in that draft, they saw a top 5 talent fall to a low 20's pick and had a QB who was 36 and generating retirement talk. It was a good situation for them to do that at the time. BUT it didn't help the team in the short term. The 3 of 4 QB's still playing today are ALL #1 picks and one is a miracle G.O.A.T that EVERY GM and coach past on multiple times for 6 rounds. (nobody knew he would be that "Tom Brady")

"Rodgers had nothing to do with the team being 4-12 or 8-8" Sure... but the player they could have taken instead would have played AND have given them an extra win or even pushed them into the playoffs instead of going 8-8. That's what I saying for the Bears. Who already have a capable player at the position you want to sit.

My argument is simply...the TEAM can become good even next year, with some key draft picks and FA signings. You want to wait 3-4 years...at the one in a billion possibility they draft the next Aaron Rodgers?

Let's say the decision is between the #1 rated ILB or 3-4 DE... or #3 rated QB in a weak QB class... We don't know if either is going to be any good. BUT That ILB is going to play and likely start, or play in a rotation and Special Teams Vs your guy who sits. My draft pick HELPS the team get better now.

No plan for the future? Building a solid roster of talent in many positions is the future. When they do replace the QB position, that guy, 3-4 years from now will have a much better chance at success with a stacked roster of talent around him. (*and won't need the sit and learn time)

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand how many on this board are obsessed with replacing Cutler. He's only 32. Not 42. QB's can play well into their mid to late 30's now.

Drafting a QB at #11 or even the 2nd round is idiotic. It's a wasted pick. You can get a bona-fide playmaker for a number of different need positions at those spots. Positions that could rebuild the team much quicker than a huge question mark QB that wouldn't even play the next 2 years. Would you rather have the 3rd, 4th...6th best graded QB? or the #1 ranked ILB, DLineman who will play year one?

For one........He's not gonna last forever.
2....You guys have said it yourself about taking forever for us to find that so-called qb we've all been looking for.
So why would we wait till jay is no longer useful before we start that search again.(so no.its not a wasted pick)
you also have stated that you believe the bears are gonna be better next season.if this is true,we may never get a chance to see who we can get at such a high pick.
Hell,looking back,I believe Mariota fell to us last season and we passed on him.I thought he did very well for his first season.....Damn,he could`ve been someone we could've used here in the near future,very near future.

And far as the defense.........theres always freeagency.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread made me cover my ears...

Don't want our Bears reaching for any QB, non will be there at #11 worth an 11 because if they're worthy of an 11 pick, they will be picked before our pick. Second round? Possibly, if one grades out. Later, who knows, anyone's guess.

I just read this morning Paxton lynch was the no.14th pick in a mock draft..........Id be all for that pick at 11........albeit it was Yahoo,but nonetheless......

And not into college football so if anyone has seen him play,Id like to hear some inside info what they think of him.

C

cubzzzfanincali

yeah, sure, if Pace's guy think the guy is there, of course take him, if not, don't. If I were you, though, I wouldn't be stunned to see them grab a guy even in the later rounds. Most of the better franchises draft at least one QB every couple of years. The position is simply too hot of a commodity, and there are a handful of later round guys that have benefitted franchises as solid backups, as later trade bait, and in rare cases as decent starters. Fales in not Pace's guy, I don't think Pace HAS to pick a better guy, but he might. And obviously if the scouts think they see a QB with a chance at becoming better than Cutler, there are a lot of pretty obvious reasons why they would do that too. Is that guy there? I don't know, and none of us do, but I am sure they are scouting the quarterbacks.

OK, on to a great day of football! Too bad it doesn't involve us. Here's hoping someday this franchise finally turns it around and we will be rooting for the Bears someday on this day.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joey,

Serious question, lets take all the replacement of Jay out of this and say when Cutler decides he does not want to play anymore, how do you get a quarterback ready to play in this system? Go year to year getting best available player, but then have the biggest hole on the team to fill? Do you want to have a third best quarterback on the board one year in training, or continue to try the 8th or 9th best in the 6th round?

all I am saying is we want a plan for the future. We want someone more competent than a Jimmy Claussen to be a backup here. Jay will be hurt over the next three years, at least take a play or quarter off. Just take all the replacing Jay cutler in the immediate future out of the equation if you can, he pulls a Jordan and says my contract is done, I want to go play baseball, what is the solution?

And to answer your question, yes, Green Bay knew what they had in Aaron Rodgers. Thats why they took him in the first round with Favre in uniform. You gotta look ahead, as painful as it is, and be ready for the future. We see a first round pick has just a good a chance of being a pro bowl player or injured immediately like Clowney or White. I think the one thing we can all agree on is we do not want a rookie quarterback starting for this team, so that means they need to be picked and here learning.

I know you read what you think I think when you read my posts, everything in the tone of fuck jay. But its seriously a move for the future of the Chicago Bears. If your top DT is taken, your top 2 DE are taken, top OT is gone (even though I would prefer a left tackle taken with the first pick to protect Jay this year) if your QB is there late in the first, take him in the second or attempt to trade up to get him.

C

cubzzzfanincali

all I am saying is we want a plan for the future. We want someone more competent than a Jimmy Claussen to be a backup here. Jay will be hurt over the next three years, at least take a play or quarter off. Just take all the replacing Jay cutler in the immediate future out of the equation if you can, he pulls a Jordan and says my contract is done, I want to go play baseball, what is the solution?

This nearly made me spit out my coffee. These computer monitors aren't free, you know, what were you trying to do here?

I don't understand why this is seen as a dilemma. Even teams with elite QBs draft new QBs every couple of years. And Jay Cutler, he has somehow earned a level of protected status that even Brady, Manning, and Rodgers don't have? Give me a break. Whether it is to "replace" Jay or simply to "back up Jay", it's not a bad idea to draft a QB if it is a potentially good QB. The only ones who would reflexively see this as a bad move are those so insecure about Jay that they are worried it threatens his status with our team. God forbid.

On a completely, utterly, absolutely unrelated note to that, one other comment you made above struck me.

"You gotta look ahead, as painful as it is, and be ready for the future."

Why is looking ahead to the future "painful" for an organization that has basically sucked for a decade? We have gone to the playoffs one year, for two games, since the Super Bowl. It should be fun, and cause for eventual optimism, to look ahead, rather than dwell on the past and mistakes that have resulted in a team languishing out of championship contention every year.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"You gotta look ahead, as painful as it is, and be ready for the future."

Why is looking ahead to the future "painful" for an organization that has basically sucked for a decade?

Not painful for the organization, painful for Joey to have a bear team without Jay Cutler.

If Cutty was 28 its a different story, only a rare few keep their starting gigs into their late 30's.

But you seem to get the rest of it, hell, I mentioned how McCown was a perfect backup for Cutler because he gave him nothing to worry about. He did not compete with cutler and even after playing a game with 500 some yards of offense against Dallas, he grabbed his clipboard when Jay returned. No controversey, no you better win or we will run the backup out there, yeah, level of protection no quarterback has.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AI... Okay... I do agree that you need to slightly plan ahead. And your post is reasonable and understanding. Now...I slightly disagree to the time frame your suggesting. Taking Jay out of it...I'm simply looking at his age and contract length. I feel it's too early to use a high pick on that position... same as if we were talking about any other position. I'm also looking at the other needs of the team, and feel that the team can be better served using high picks on other positions at this time.
Each team has to look at drafts based on what they have. IF they have drafted well and they have many major positions covered- at least one each of: QB, LT, #1WR, RB, TE... DE/OLB, DT, LB, CB, S. Than you can start to fill spots based on future. But the Bears don't. And I think you can reasonably see that. IMO you use your top 2 or 3 picks each year to fill those spots first... And that's what I'm asking for. Of course they may (and should) use Free Agency to fill some of those spots too. By the time the Draft get's here we may have 2 new Dlineman, a new CB and some other spots. IF that's the case than I can see them MAYBE taking a flier on a 3rd round QB. But not before. (and a 3rd rounder is better than a scrap heap retread or undrafted FA)

Age of Qb's going to be different that say age of RB's or LB's... A 28-29 year old at those positions I can see drafting a new one even if the current one is still good. I also think you need to look at the contract cost and length of the current player and injury history/surgeries. Team fit...is he a team leader? All that stuff. (That's why the Forte question is tough for me too)
Grrrr....should have posted this before Cali butted in. Oh well.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And no... I'm not clasping to Jay Cutler. And No... Cali's wrong, Only teams with OLD star QB's draft new ones- NE and Denver only. Who else? The Saints took Greyson in the 3rd round...
Arizona? Green Bay? Steelers? Chargers? Have they drafted new QB's? Nope. All guys around the same age as Cutler. (or older)
You show me a top five talent that falls to the Bears first round pick at #24 next year after they make the playoffs I'll sign off on drafting him. If the options are what they are now...no thanks, I'll take BPA at a need position.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And no... I'm not clasping to Jay Cutler. And No... Cali's wrong, Only teams with OLD star QB's draft new ones- NE and Denver only. Who else? The Saints took Greyson in the 3rd round...
Arizona? Green Bay? Steelers? Chargers? Have they drafted new QB's? Nope. All guys around the same age as Cutler. (or older)
You show me a top five talent that falls to the Bears first round pick at #24 next year after they make the playoffs I'll sign off on drafting him. If the options are what they are now...no thanks, I'll take BPA at a need position.

Packers took Brett Hundley from UCLA in the third round, one of the top 6 mentioned last year, some said best NFL talent behind Mariota and Winston since UCLA played an NFL offense and he was the starter from 2012-2014. He is a guy alot of Bears fans were hoping was going to be picked.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the Bears have drafted 6 QB's and traded for another since they Drafted Rex Grossman. 7 QB's in 12 years. The theory of "always draft one..." is there.
Hundley in the 3rd... sure. That was a decent spot for him...3rd round. Do you honestly believe that the Packers drafted him with the idea he would be Rodgers eventual replacement? In what.... 6 years? Or is it more likely they saw value in the 3rd round, thought they could develop him as a backup, and flip him for higher/more draft picks in the future... IF Rodgers suffered a season ending injury they would be covered, BUT My question will always be: Could a 3rd round WR instead have helped more this year? Would he have given them an extra win? a win over Arizona?

C

cubzzzfanincali

Packers took Brett Hundley from UCLA in the third round, one of the top 6 mentioned last year, some said best NFL talent behind Mariota and Winston since UCLA played an NFL offense and he was the starter from 2012-2014. He is a guy alot of Bears fans were hoping was going to be picked.

The Packers are a very typical example. Since Rodgers was drafted, they've picked 5 quarterbacks, including 2 separate ones in 2008 (Brohm, a 2nd rounder, and Flynn, a 7th). That's an average of one every two years.

110 QBs have been drafted in the last 10 years, an average of 11 a year, or 4.5 per team, which works out to just under once every two years.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the Bears have drafted 6 QB's and traded for another since they Drafted Rex Grossman. 7 QB's in 12 years. The theory of "always draft one..." is there.
Hundley in the 3rd... sure. That was a decent spot for him...3rd round. Do you honestly believe that the Packers drafted him with the idea he would be Rodgers eventual replacement? In what.... 6 years? Or is it more likely they saw value in the 3rd round, thought they could develop him as a backup, and flip him for higher/more draft picks in the future... IF Rodgers suffered a season ending injury they would be covered, BUT My question will always be: Could a 3rd round WR instead have helped more this year? Would he have given them an extra win? a win over Arizona?

Yeah, well I think Green Bay could have used another player this year, but in the bears case you are not talking about one win to get to the playoffs, but they were three behind and do not have a guy developing either. Hell, when we were talking Mariota I brought up if the Packer fans thought Green Bay wasted a first round pick when they chose Rodgers to sit. But in their case, you cant say it didnt work out, his first year they did not make the playoffs anyway. The other part of this is Rodgers and Cutlers personalities. Hell, I would draft a kid every year to see if we could find one that Jay likes and opens up to. I know Cutler is maturing, so he might end up seeing that shutting out the backups is not a way to get to the playoffs. I dont think any of us realistically saw the bears making the playoffs with the entire coaching staff being new.

But say they dont pick another QB this year, we are back to having to sign some washed up or never been that might be absolutely wrong for the team instead of McCown that knows his role. See, we might sign McCown again if we do not draft a quarterback. :lol:

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Cutty was 28 its a different story, only a rare few keep their starting gigs into their late 30's.

Well... that's not true. Plenty of not so special QB's play into their late-30's. It's actually pretty common.

The reason most QB's are done by their early 30's, is because they weren't every any good at all and no one wanted them when they got to the other side of 30.

Hence, Josh McCown. It wasn't that he physically could not play NFL QB. His phone just stopped ringing. Then, once it rang. It resulted in playing another five seasons, to this point (11 and 12 mostly as a backup).

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, I would draft a kid every year to see if we could find one that Jay likes and opens up to. I know Cutler is maturing, so he might end up seeing that shutting out the backups is not a way to get to the playoffs.

Lol... Cutler was good friends with McCown, and talked to Hanie constantly when he played in 2011.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, sure, if Pace's guy think the guy is there, of course take him, if not, don't. If I were you, though, I wouldn't be stunned to see them grab a guy even in the later rounds. Most of the better franchises draft at least one QB every couple of years. The position is simply too hot of a commodity, and there are a handful of later round guys that have benefitted franchises as solid backups, as later trade bait, and in rare cases as decent starters. Fales in not Pace's guy, I don't think Pace HAS to pick a better guy, but he might. And obviously if the scouts think they see a QB with a chance at becoming better than Cutler, there are a lot of pretty obvious reasons why they would do that too. Is that guy there? I don't know, and none of us do, but I am sure they are scouting the quarterbacks.

OK, on to a great day of football! Too bad it doesn't involve us. Here's hoping someday this franchise finally turns it around and we will be rooting for the Bears someday on this day.

Weird to think 5 years ago, we were rooting on the Bears in the NFC Title game.

Getting ready for the Bears/Pack NFCCG seems like it was a lifetime ago, at this point.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This whole argument seems like it could be ended rather simply.

The Bears absolutely don't need to feel pressured into taking a QB, by any means. However, if Pace and his scouts believe they really have someone there. Then go for it. We've seen the Pats do it twice with Mallet and now Garropolo.

The problem, is like what Cubz said. The league is always so desperate for the position. The demand is so high, that franchises won't just reach at their spot in the draft. They'll trade UP to reach for a QB, out of panic that they will all be gone by the time it's their turn.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol... Cutler was good friends with McCown, and talked to Hanie constantly when he played in 2011.

Yes, that was the point rich, the two that knew their places are good backups for cutler, you add Campbell and Claussen who thought they were competing with the starter and you have troubles. It goes back to the point of how "comfortable" the general managers have made Cutlers time here that was brought up earlier. I use the term McCown carried Jays jock referring to him knowing his place and making sure Jay does not feel threatened.

The point I am bringing up, is has cutler matured enough to know he will be training his own assassin and will he work with him. Will it be Favre and Rodgers as pole opposites on the sidelines and should we care if it is since we know that QB will be called a wasted draft pick.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, that was the point rich, the two that knew their places are good backups for cutler, you add Campbell and Claussen who thought they were competing with the starter and you have troubles. It goes back to the point of how "comfortable" the general managers have made Cutlers time here that was brought up earlier. I use the term McCown carried Jays jock referring to him knowing his place and making sure Jay does not feel threatened.

The point I am bringing up, is has cutler matured enough to know he will be training his own assassin and will he work with him. Will it be Favre and Rodgers as pole opposites on the sidelines and should we care if it is since we know that QB will be called a wasted draft pick.

There you go being all sensitive.

ONE dude on this board insinuated this, and now it's the consensus opinion? Come on...