• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Any intriguing QB's in 2016 Draft Class that we Could Possibly Land Post-Round one?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most here would agree. That headed into 2016, we should likely be looking to improve on defense or up front on offense in the first round this upcoming season.

With Cutler much more than likely returning for 2016, but on the last year of his guaranteed money. In a make or break year for him. It could be a good idea to bring in a younger guy, to sit underneath him for the rest of Cutler's years as a Bear. Who also, is a backup plan for 2017.

Now, I know some here like David Fales, who we selected in 2014's 6th round. I think at some point, I'd be intrigued as to what he could do in real NFL game action. However, I'm just rather far from being sold. Ideally, when a long time QB retires or moves on. You would like to go into the off-season, with an idea of who your guy is going forward. Especially with Fox, who would be going into his 3rd year. You don't want to be coming off two years that you spent rebuilding the rest of the team. Then all of the sudden, you're going to likely lose an entire season. Because you're going to start over at quarterback.

I don't want to necessarily make QB a priority in the draft, where we put ourselves in a position to potentially reach for one.

My way of approaching it come draft day would be; "Okay, we have Cutler for 2017. Who had a solid first year under Gase. We have a young backup in Fales that we've been bringing along. Let's make bolstering the defense and offensive line our top priorities. BUT... if a guy we really like falls to us, that we think could really be something. Maybe we feel people are sleeping on him. Let's pounce on him."

Probably worth mentioning, if Alshon walks. WR also becomes a priority in the first few rounds. Most likely.

Who is a QB that could be that guy? I don't follow college football closely, and unlike the past handful of seasons. There aren't big names that just leap out at you, and you constantly hear about. AKA... Marriota, Winston, Manziel, Bortles, Luck, RGIII, etc... So I really couldn't even tell you who the top prospect is. Much less, who the projected 2nd, 3rd and 4th round guys are.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't follow college football outside of ND so I can't reply about the QBs. But a few other comments. 1. AJ is staying. We lose BM and AJ in back to back years, would not fly. It won't happen. And if it did then yes it would have to be addressed early in the draft. 2. As I said in the other thread, we really need to see Fales in action. Just to get a peak would be great. Give us some ideal to priority of QB to be groomed need.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
watched a pretty exciting game last night with Osweiller and that AJ Mccarron everyone said would never make it in the nfl last night.

This is a pretty decent site if you just want to look at rankings but no mock draft ideas. You have your pick of size guys thats for sure.

WalterFootball.com: 2016 NFL Draft: Quarterback Rankings

It would be nice for Fales to get some snaps this week. Yeah, I know, he was out there and nobody wanted him, but its the constant knock on guys we try to develop, so you gotta wonder if they even want to.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
watched a pretty exciting game last night with Osweiller and that AJ Mccarron everyone said would never make it in the nfl last night.

This is a pretty decent site if you just want to look at rankings but no mock draft ideas. You have your pick of size guys thats for sure.

WalterFootball.com: 2016 NFL Draft: Quarterback Rankings

It would be nice for Fales to get some snaps this week. Yeah, I know, he was out there and nobody wanted him, but its the constant knock on guys we try to develop, so you gotta wonder if they even want to.

Well, every once in a very rare while. A 6th round pick or later pans out into a good QB. However, an overwhelming majority wind up being a Caleb Hanie. A QB we all wanted to see in game action, at one point.

And no one thought McCarron would make it? I speak with very different people than you do then. I remember so many people saying they were hoping McCarron would fall to their team, and that he was a huge steal.

What's his contract like? Dalton is locked up there for a while in a big money contract. If he's a free agent this off-season or next. Let's just go get that kid. If Cutler doesn't work out, he looks like he could be a damn good QB one day soon.

And @noonthirtyjoe Yeah, seeing Fales in game action is an intriguing idea, but barring Cutler getting hurt or a hugely one sided game this week (which I don't see). It's not happening any time soon.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver may have to resign Osweiller to actually HAVE a qb next season, but I can certainly see McCarron moving on rather than sitting behind Dalton. Someone will pay him to start, he has earned it in my book.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver may have to resign Osweiller to actually HAVE a qb next season, but I can certainly see McCarron moving on rather than sitting behind Dalton. Someone will pay him to start, he has earned it in my book.
Us, I hope. Move Jay and bring in the kid. No disrespect to Jay either but youth is what we need to go along with this rebuild.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[QUOTE="richig07, post: 7769358, member:
And @noonthirtyjoe Yeah, seeing Fales in game action is an intriguing idea, but barring Cutler getting hurt or a hugely one sided game this week (which I don't see). It's not happening any time soon.[/QUOTE]
I agree but don't the coaches need to do what is best for this team overall? We need to see him before we spend a valuable draft pick. Even if he flops we learn something we need too.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kid from MI State is predicted to be the 3rd or 4th QB off the board and the first to go in round 2.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[QUOTE="richig07, post: 7769358, member:
And @noonthirtyjoe Yeah, seeing Fales in game action is an intriguing idea, but barring Cutler getting hurt or a hugely one sided game this week (which I don't see). It's not happening any time soon.
I agree but don't the coaches need to do what is best for this team overall? We need to see him before we spend a valuable draft pick. Even if he flops we learn something we need too.[/QUOTE]

@noonthirtyjoe

Yeah, apart of me says you're right, and that giving Fales the second half wouldn't be a bad idea. Another part of me says that this is all still a work in progress, and Cutler should get as many reps in Gase's offense as possible. Gase and him are still in the phase of feeling each other out a bit. Tinkering with what works. This isn't a bad game for Gase and Cutler to perhaps experiment with some things they maybe haven't pulled out yet.

Regardless, I just can't see it happening outside of a blowout. Best case scenario, Cutler lights it up first half and the Bears lead by a few scores and insert Fales for the second half. However, especially with the injuries we've accumulated, we're by no means a few scores better than Detroit. Nor visa versa.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I'm not saying "we must draft a QB in the first round", that would be silly. But I think it would be foolish to just categorically rule that out. I'm no expert on the college quarterbacks coming out this year, none of the rest of you really are, and pre-draft journalists also frequently wind up looking like total idiots on the subject when you go back and look at what was said years later. The reason why is that evaluating college quarterbacks is obviously very hard.

Considering that it is the single most important position on the team, if you are a GM, and you are a good GM, you don't currently have an elite QB, and your guys think they see a guy who has a legitimate chance at being an NFL star QB, you absolutely, definitely take him. Period.

If Ryan Pace decides to draft a QB in the first, I won't complain at all. I also won't complain if we don't. This team has zero elite players - none. At any position. (assuming of course White doesn't turn out to be one...we shall see). You are not in contention for a Super Bowl if you have zero elite players. So when the Bears turn comes up, I really don't care what position it is, if the scouts see a guy they think is it, they should take him. Regardless of where he plays. We can second guess the pick 2 or 3 years afterwards if that is warranted.

I didn't start criticizing Emery until year 3. Until then, like with any GM, you have to give it a little time and see how things pan out. I realize you can't be endlessly patient, but we can't be too reflexive either. Hell I was a Cutler supporter for 6 years before the repeated smashing of my head with a frying pan finally sank in.

C

cubzzzfanincali

OK, on further thought, let me correct an impression what I just wrote may have left. Yes, I did criticize some aspects of Emery's GM moves, no doubt, but I did not think it was warranted to have a discussion of him getting fired until year 3. I did not think Emery was a very good strategist in the draft, and while most of his picks completely sucked, and were obviously huge busts, he did pick Alshon, which was a pick I detested at the time. In general, I thought Emery was better in the free agent market than in the draft. I'd still say that is true, but we were still left with a roster that was basically devoid of any superstar talent outside of maybe Kyle Long. Even AJ isn't a top tier WR...he's somewhere in the second rank, but he isn't elite. And that's it, that's all we got out of the Emery years.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, on further thought, let me correct an impression what I just wrote may have left. Yes, I did criticize some aspects of Emery's GM moves, no doubt, but I did not think it was warranted to have a discussion of him getting fired until year 3. I did not think Emery was a very good strategist in the draft, and while most of his picks completely sucked, and were obviously huge busts, he did pick Alshon, which was a pick I detested at the time. In general, I thought Emery was better in the free agent market than in the draft. I'd still say that is true, but we were still left with a roster that was basically devoid of any superstar talent outside of maybe Kyle Long. Even AJ isn't a top tier WR...he's somewhere in the second rank, but he isn't elite. And that's it, that's all we got out of the Emery years.

If he could stay on the field, he would be considered elite.

He is the best, "go-up-and-get-it" receiver in the NFL.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When healthy AJ is top shelf, IMO. And that pick saved Emily's draft. Shea Mac in the 1st and AJ in the second?????

C

cubzzzfanincali

I think you guys need to watch a lot more football not involving Chicago if you think AJ is elite when healthy. I like him, he is a very good receiver, but if you think he is even in the Top 10, you need to turn on a few other teams. Just my advice. Happy New Year everyone.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When healthy AJ is top shelf, IMO. And that pick saved Emily's draft. Shea Mac in the 1st and AJ in the second?????

I mean, he's really good when on the field... however... Let's separate ourselves from the team for a second. Do you really look at Alshon like you would look at DeAndre Hopkins, Julio Jones, OBJ, AJ Green, Antonio Brown... etc...??? Sorry, he is second tier to me.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@ Cali and Rich. Ya I've seen every one of those guys play over and over. To me AJ is right there with any of them. I have AJ knocking on the top 5 and top ten easy. His numbers per snap lead all the NFL in 15. ALL. He just did not play enough snaps this year but his time on the field showed how important and good he is. The future is bright and when teams have a second legit WR (White) to worry about, look out. The guy is a pure stud and our only elite player. And you guys left out the best WR in the game today from your list. Marshal.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he could stay on the field, he would be considered elite.

He is the best, "go-up-and-get-it" receiver in the NFL.

Don't even think he sniffs Calvin Johnson, DeAndre Hopkins or Julio in that category. Not even close.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't even think he sniffs Calvin Johnson, DeAndre Hopkins or Julio in that category. Not even close.

I never said elite. I never he was a top 5 or 10 or any of the shit you two are fucking whining about. But he is very much in the argument regarding what I did refer to him as....the best "go-up-and-get-it" receiver in the NFL.

It's my opinion, but I've heard a few pundits mention it as well.

But then again, my football IQ is vaaaastly inferior to you two wizards.:rolleyes2:

C

cubzzzfanincali

You said "If he could stay on the field, he would be considered elite."

No, dude, I don't agree at all. And if you are trying to squeeze out of this statement, why don't you just say you got carried away, instead of acting like you never said it.

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jake Rudock from Michigan as a 6th or 7th rounder. Worked with Harbaugh for a year so has the skill set. Would be a project type of player but most late rounders are