• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Any doubt PG-13 is in LA next summer?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think jimmy buss really screwed them- in he placed his own interests above the long term interests of the team. In retrospect it looks like the Deng and Mozgov signings were panic signings meant to try and jump start the Lakers into playoff contention in ordert o make Jimmy look better and maybe save his job.

I mean- right around the exact time he is fired- Mozgov goes to the bench indefinitely nad starts collecting DNP-CD's in the FIRST year of a four year deal.

Its plain as day that Jeanie and Magic would never have made those 2 moves- because they werent good for the franchise's long term prospects. Jimmy tried to save his ass- and i bet he was pissing himself with excitement in November until the bottom fell out and reality set in.

Now Jeanie and Magic will have to perform some real magic in order to clear those guys as soon as they can.

I don't believe there was any expectation of playoffs. Hell, the early season wins were a surprise to everyone. Those signings were meant to bridge the SF and C positions until the newly drafted Ingram and Zubac were ready to take over. The length of those deals was horrible though, and they did overpay. The quick trigger on Mozgov really made that signing odd.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Mozgov and Deng signings were misguided in theory (veterans were needed to balance the roster), they just overpaid in a market that was tough to read due to the increased money available. Everyone got more, but some were overpaid, like those two (and the length of the contracts is even more puzzling; I certainly assumed that there would be a team option in both deals). The Deng signing was a reaction to losing out on their first few wing targets (including Bazemore).

Yeah, I have more of an issue with the number of years than the actual money. These contracts would be a lot easier to take if, at the least, there was a team option on the final year or there was enough money left to chase a difference making FA.

I'm not big on conspiracy theories and I'm not sure Jim Buss is smart enough to come up with something like this, but those 2 contracts effectively did 2 things:

1.) They brought in a couple of solid vets that were known to have good locker room presence and who, if they could play at closer to their normal levels, could have led the team to the playoffs, thus saving Jim and Mitch's jobs. Not necessarily a bad thing.

2.) If it didn't work out where those players led them back to the playoffs, ultimately costing them their jobs, it kind of hamstrings the new regime's efforts to add a difference making FA for at least 1 off-season. Thus allowing Jim to say "See, the new guys aren't doing any better." Definitely a bad thing.

The other part of those signings that bothers me is that they happened so fast. I doubt there was a huge market for either of those players, so with a little more patience, they may have at least been able to sign them for fewer years and/or less money.

Clearly, they weren't the worst of the off-season signings, but they weren't that far away from the worst.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think jimmy buss really screwed them- in he placed his own interests above the long term interests of the team. In retrospect it looks like the Deng and Mozgov signings were panic signings meant to try and jump start the Lakers into playoff contention in ordert o make Jimmy look better and maybe save his job.

I mean- right around the exact time he is fired- Mozgov goes to the bench indefinitely nad starts collecting DNP-CD's in the FIRST year of a four year deal.

Its plain as day that Jeanie and Magic would never have made those 2 moves- because they werent good for the franchise's long term prospects. Jimmy tried to save his ass- and i bet he was pissing himself with excitement in November until the bottom fell out and reality set in.

Now Jeanie and Magic will have to perform some real magic in order to clear those guys as soon as they can.

100% spot on. I think that's exactly what he did. Again, I don't mind the money or the players he signed nearly as much as I do the years.

The Lakers weren't getting any "big ticket items" this past off-season and needed solid vets to mentor the young guys. Based on what I've read and heard, both have at least done a good job as mentors, including how they handled being benched. The problem is, they could have gotten them or comparable players on fewer years and/or less money.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Mozgov and Deng signings were misguided in theory (veterans were needed to balance the roster), they just overpaid in a market that was tough to read due to the increased money available. Everyone got more, but some were overpaid, like those two (and the length of the contracts is even more puzzling; I certainly assumed that there would be a team option in both deals). The Deng signing was a reaction to losing out on their first few wing targets (including Bazemore).

Now that we know how good Divac is in regard to trades, maybe we can get the Kings' next three 1st round picks for Mosgov.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't the Lakers get his bird rights if they trade for him? I'd look to move Russell and some other cash for him. I would want to hang on to that potential top 3 pick this year in order to replace Russell though. That is a dream scenario, I would much rather take my chances in a year and a half if the asking price for a trade is too high.

Lakers could gain a lot of leverage if he says he will only resign with the Lakers. Making a nifty little deal like that quite possible in the future.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that we know how good Divac is in regard to trades, maybe we can get the Kings' next three 1st round picks for Mosgov.

With a shrewd negotiator like Vlade? Hell no, he'll demand Deng too.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this is changing the subject of the thread, but is there a better player in the NBA, than Russell Westbrook? He had another great game tonight.

Westbrook put up 43 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists in a 109-106 Thunder win. It was Westbrook’s second straight 40-point triple-double, and his fourth straight overall.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this is changing the subject of the thread, but is there a better player in the NBA, than Russell Westbrook? He had another great game tonight.

Westbrook put up 43 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists in a 109-106 Thunder win. It was Westbrook’s second straight 40-point triple-double, and his fourth straight overall.
Dude is a machine.

Bron, KD might be better, technically.

But, there is no player I enjoy watching more!!!

Ps. Howdy, OT.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude is a machine.

Bron, KD might be better, technically.

But, there is no player I enjoy watching more!!!

Ps. Howdy, OT.
Yep, totally agree. Mecca how's my friend doing?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this is changing the subject of the thread, but is there a better player in the NBA, than Russell Westbrook?

I'd still put Lebron (dude's been averaging close to a triple double for just about his whole career) and maybe KD ahead of him. But damn, he's sure closing the gap. Might be better than KD.