• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Another year of proof, Franchise QB not required to win

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not disagreeing with you. I never thought Flacco was anything special. But Baltimore was forced to make that decision. He played one of the best QB postseasons in NFL history and was only 28 years old at the time. They couldn't let him walk. They had to pay the man & bank on him being the future. Joe just never lived up to it.
See, this is where I have a problem. This is a false binary, they absolutely had the choice to say fuck off and draft someone, trade, or tank. They didn't. Right now they have a SB defense and a bad QB holding them back; not dissimilar from before, but pulling off the Eli (and I do think Eli was better as much as I dislike him) is infinitesimally more unlikely than a "Flacco" so to speak.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes he is good, but he won the superbowl before he was dubbed "Franchise" and has yet to dominate back to it, even with a stellar defense.

Flacco again was deemed Franchise, ended up sucking up 29 million of a salary cap, thats, what 25% AFTER winning and never getting back.

results. Brady got results, Pay-a-ton got results,

Just bugs me when this need is there. Look at the final 4 teams with one franchise guy and three teams that might not even start them next season.

Thanks for responding everybody, I guess the current state of sports millionaires and owners wanting to put more of them in that position is bothersome for some people.

At least I deem drafted franchise guys a little different than trading for a "franchise" guy. At least the Wilsons, Wentz, Brady guys were not paid by other teams. And yes, I hope Trubisky gets there, its not his fault a GM gave up picks to a virgin GM to get taken.

The only "franchise" guy I see that's been traded is Brees and he's pushing 40. Teams just don't let them go once they have them. Payton got traded but that was the perfect storm with him coming off serious injuries and Indy having Luck sitting there.
You can look at the final 4 buy Minn and Philly have awesome D's which certainly helps. We also don't know if Philly wins 13 and gets home field if they had Foles all year.

Your point about the QB sucking up cap space is a good one but lets see if Flacco gets back, he still has time.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Russell Wilons IS a franchise QB
2. Of all the QBs on that list only one, Trent Dilfer and perhaps Peyton at the end, did not play well in their playoff run and Super Bowl.
3. Common sense would tell you the odds of a franchise QB playing well year after year in the playoffs is much higher than a journeyman who caught lightning in a bottle for a month and never came close to sniffing another Super Bowl And that's exactly what happened with every QB of the OP's list, they were one and done.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me guess you're a millennial? Responsible Adults know this as discipline.

Actually not a fan of Bill. But I can't believe the shit he is getting from this. It's the first thing Pederson said after winning. I know you guys hate the curfew by this is why we are here.

Bill is absolutely in the right here

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Foles and Keenum are really both franchise QBs, and Jeff Fisher is the worst HC ever?

Reactions: ill

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, this is where I have a problem. This is a false binary, they absolutely had the choice to say fuck off and draft someone, trade, or tank. They didn't. Right now they have a SB defense and a bad QB holding them back; not dissimilar from before, but pulling off the Eli (and I do think Eli was better as much as I dislike him) is infinitesimally more unlikely than a "Flacco" so to speak.
So your saying if you were Ozzie Newsome before the start of the 2014 season you would have said fuck off to Joe Flacco? After he just set the postseason on fire & won super bowl MVP?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So your saying if you were Ozzie Newsome before the start of the 2014 season you would have said fuck off to Joe Flacco? After he just set the postseason on fire & won super bowl MVP?
Yep. I don't remember the exact cap situation, so I might tag him. That's it. I would not be popular in Baltimore

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not? People on the hoop said NE should've gotten rid of Brady this year.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. I don't remember the exact cap situation, so I might tag him. That's it. I would not be popular in Baltimore

Why not? People on the hoop said NE should've gotten rid of Brady this year.

Pretty damn easy to say these things in hindsight. Back in 2014 I think the only people against his signing were rival teams just trying to make fun of B'more fans. IMO it was the right decision. Newsome would have likely lost his job had that deal not gotten done. Steve Bisciotti was outspoken about retaining Flacco at whatever cost. Even if Newsome thought it was a bad idea his hands were tied.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty damn easy to say these things in hindsight. Back in 2014 I think the only people against his signing were rival teams just trying to make fun of B'more fans. IMO it was the right decision. Newsome would have likely lost his job had that deal not gotten done. Steve Bisciotti was outspoken about retaining Flacco at whatever cost. Even if Newsome thought it was a bad idea his hands were tied.
Then I resign or threaten it and look for a payday from some other owner.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then I resign or threaten it and look for a payday from some other owner.
FWIW I think if Ozzie could build a better offense around Flacco he could be borderline top 12-15 QB. And with that defense, that's all he would need to be.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont think so. the eagles were the better team.
I just don't think the defensive backfield would have been in such disarray with Butler back there. The amount of missed tackles and blown coverages was astonishing. Very un Patriot-like.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't think the defensive backfield would have been in such disarray with Butler back there. The amount of missed tackles and blown coverages was astonishing. Very un Patriot-like.
they played bademosi and jordan richards.

take a guess and count the number of snaps they played in 2017. butler was on the field all year, from the bad start to the great finish. he had a few bad weeks at the end, and seemingly a bad practice...but...

who gets a big offer this off season? bademosi, richards, or butler?

thats your answer.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was an amazing game plan, amazing play calling, no fear throwing down field, running down the clock in the fourth quarter and moving the sticks when the team was behind by a point, incredible job by Pederson and his staff. Pretty sure that is a common point among all the non franchise guys that won the big game.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Realistically, coming off the year Joe had...9 out of 10 teams would buck up for him...the problem was they wrote a backend loaded contract.

Right now they have a solid DEF, but for the 1st time in a long time...the Ravens don't have many playmakers on either side of the ball....Brandon Williams is a beast, Weddle and Moseley are studs. Not much else.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here we go again, another year of Trend Dilfer, Joe Flacco, Doug Williams, Jim McMahon (yes I said it), Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypien, Brad Johnson and Russell Wilson showing the world a franchise quarterback is NOT A REQUIREMENT to win the super bowl.

Yes, this stems from years of hearing the bears NEEDED JAY CUTLER to be a franchise quarterback, or give away a shit load of picks to move up to get Trubisky, who they would have gotten anyway just to have the Franchise guy.

Flame away, but this is yet another reality check.

Yes, some team will give up two years of first round picks to get Nick Foles from the Eagles to make him a "Franchise" quarterback, and he will never see another super bowl.

Foles played well, he was a big part of that teams victory... I think no one knew the guy had it in him like that, he proved a helluva lot a people wrong, including me ... He especially impressed me on that drive after the Pats took the lead late, he was cool as can be, executed and did what he had to ... And when you look at the list you put up there, a lot of those QB's stepped up and played well when they had too ... I think we all know it's a team game, you have to have a complete team to win it all, but the QB can ruin the party if they do something stupid since they touch the ball every play ...

dann bunn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
depends on how a "franchise QB" is defined. teams frequently want to take borderline starters and roll with them under that label, which of course just leads to repeated failure.

manning, the lesser manning, favre, brees, mcnabb, brady, big ben, etc. you build a balanced team around a legit QB, you're going to consistently take care of business.
Well, don't leave out the obvious: Brady!

dann bunn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foles played well, he was a big part of that teams victory... I think no one knew the guy had it in him like that, he proved a helluva lot a people wrong, including me ... He especially impressed me on that drive after the Pats took the lead late, he was cool as can be, executed and did what he had to ... And when you look at the list you put up there, a lot of those QB's stepped up and played well when they had too ... I think we all know it's a team game, you have to have a complete team to win it all, but the QB can ruin the party if they do something stupid since they touch the ball every play ...
I saw him 3 years ago, and thought, This guy could be a great NFL QB. I didn't understand why it took so long for others to see it.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw him 3 years ago, and thought, This guy could be a great NFL QB. I didn't understand why it took so long for others to see it.

When he was playing for the Rams he had some good games against us, never showed tons of consistency but definitely had moments of good football...