• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Another pink locker room protest, this time at Fry Fest.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) — University of Iowa professor Kembrew McLeod has dressed as a robot to heckle Bill Clinton and Michele Bachmann. Now he’s targeting his own school over its controversial pink visitors’ locker room at Kinnick Stadium.

McLeod is organizing what he jokingly calls the “Million Robot March” to protest at an annual event Friday honoring former Iowa coach Hayden Fry, who had the locker room painted pink in 1979.

McLeod is calling for the school to ditch the pink, which he says amounts to a school-sanctioned taunt that exudes homophobia and sexism. He said previous protests haven’t been successful, so he’s taking an absurd approach to draw attention to the issue.

Fry has said pink is calming and meant to make Hawkeyes’ opponents passive, and it has become part of Hawkeyes lore.

Iowa professor organizes protest over pink locker room | Hawk Central

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still wonder where homophobic part comes in. I see sexism. Fry did say back in the 80s that he did it because little girls like it and it makes football players feel like little girls (or something like that). I don't think homosexuality was thought of until a gay UofI professor tried getting it changed around a decade ago.

It's now a tradition more than it is a psychological thing.

BearDownUA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he wants the attention more than he wants the color of the locker room changed

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they budget enough money to repaint it, A brighter and bolder shade of pink