• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gov. Brandstad asked if he was going to address the pink locker room at Kinnick.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it's a few weeks old but it's still funny that people expect him to change it.

515d526601b56.preview-620.jpg

{Caption: The visitor's pink locker room at the University of Iowa could create a legal liability for the school, according to lawyers. (File photo)}

DES MOINES — Gov. Terry Branstad is steering clear of an ongoing controversy over the pink visitors’ locker room at the University of Iowa’s Kinnick Stadium.

The visitors’ locker room at the football stadium — first painted pink in the 1980s and repainted a slightly brighter sheen in 2005 — was assailed during a recent workshop at the Governors Conference on LGBTQ Youth as conveying a “sexist and homophobic” message intended to use “pink shaming” to deride their opponents and try to “get in their heads” before the game and during the half-time break.

Asked at his weekly news conference Monday whether he thought university officials should end the practice and paint the football locker room a different color, Branstad took a pass.

“I am not going to comment on the color of the locker rooms that they paint at the University of Iowa,” Branstad said. “Hayden Fry did that years ago, and this is not for the governor to try to micromanage what they paint the locker rooms. That’s just not something that I’m going to comment on. I don’t think it’s worthy of the governor interfering with.”

Within the administrative hierarchy, Branstad noted that the state Board of Regents has autonomous oversight of the University of Iowa, along with two other state universities and two special schools, and that administrators in turn have control over the policies of the athletic department.

“So I’m going to go down and try to tell the football coach what color he’s going to paint the locker room? The governor should not be doing those things,” he said.

Branstad dodges pink locker room mess : Iowa Hawkeyes Football

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How could a guy whose team plays on a blue field complain about this? I think it's great.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still trying to figure out how the LGBT community is trying to say that Hayden Fry was trying to make the opposing team feel gay.

Trying to make them feel like a little girl? Bugging the other team to the point where it's hard to focus? Making females a weaker gender? Yes. I can see those things. Hayden Fry said those things in the 1980s and a few years ago when it became a big issue. But not making feel gay.

I would say it's more sexist than racist.

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best way to handle this is to go into Kinnick and kick ass.

Of course, the way the Hawkeyes have been disappointing their fans lately, maybe they should threaten them with a new locker room paint job in the home lockers if they don't step it up.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just have your team wear some pink on the field like maybe shoes and then kick their asses and leave the shoes behind as a reminder.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
99EricCrouchTrucksIowa.gif

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I guess we can conclude that there is a gay football player in the big 10 that is complaining.