• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alshon Jeffery, Coach speak & the Media?

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THIS ^^^ Thank You, Richig07 you get it.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know Joey, it sounds like you are taking both sides of the argument. not enough disclosure, but properly not disclosing what should have been disclosed to make it to your liking.

You are whining that White is going to miss 6 games (not this thread, one of the other ones you started with the same subject). If he had the surgery in May, he would have been ready to go now. Don't you see the point? He would have had 6 weeks rest and July, august and september to slowly build up his muscle again.

So I say, a rapid build of the muscle is what causes shin splint stress fractures, most probably over training for the damn combine. Why do you want to rush him back this year if he will need to build his muscles rapidly to make it back on the field? Do you see that point? August surgery, start building in October, november, december and the season is over. I am not trying to confuse people, but this is basically counting your fingers to figure out when it is going to be safe for him to play again.

I dont know, at least I stay on the same side of the discussion, but I guess if you post about both sides of an argument you cannot be wrong, well, other than to the people that remember you were on both sides..

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OMG... Cali, you were right... I have no idea what he's babbling about now. I'm done too. Lesson learned. Smh.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Resurrecting this thread based on what I heard today. Per Rotoworld:
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Bears are unsure if they'll use the franchise tag on free agent Alshon Jeffery, and there's "a chance" he hits the market.

The assumption all along has been that if the two sides can't come to a long-term agreement, then the Bears will simply slap Jeffery with the franchise tag. The expectation has been the 26-year-old won't even reach free agency. But Jeffery is coming off an injury-riddled contract season that was littered with soft-tissue calf and hamstring issues. He also had weight and conditioning concerns at South Carolina. Jeffery is still easily the top free-agent receiver.

Waddle & Silvy were discussing this today as well on ESPN1000. With a lack of quality free agent WR available, I sure hope that Rapoport's report was taken out of context and that the Bears DO plan on franchising Alshon if a long-term deal can't be reached.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Resurrecting this thread based on what I heard today. Per Rotoworld:

Waddle & Silvy were discussing this today as well on ESPN1000. With a lack of quality free agent WR available, I sure hope that Rapoport's report was taken out of context and that the Bears DO plan on franchising Alshon if a long-term deal can't be reached.

I am actually warming up to the idea of letting Jeffery walk.

The guy hasn't stayed on the field consistently, ever in his career.

Great when he's out there, don't get me wrong. I'll surely take him back at a reasonable price, and be happy about it. I just get the feeling he may walk, and that's okay too.

I feel like if he does, he'll end up in Dallas. Opposite of Bryant. Seems like a Jerry Jones type of move. That line, Witten (who is still a very valuable red zone/3rd down threat), Dez, Alshon and a renewed running game that should come with Romo's return? That offense could be scary.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say Alshon walks,then we have White(unproven of anything) ,Royal and Wilson to lead our wr corps.....that does not sound too promising.

No if he walks,not only do we replace AJ,but we also gotta replace MF.(I think,even tho I think they got their starter in Langford tho).

I think its a bad move myself to let him walk..........And if AJ is supposedly the best wr in freeagency this year,we are losing out.

We can`t afford to replace two offensive starters.....

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No freaking chance AJ walks. It would be the end of this GM and put us with Cleavland as the worst run organizations. I would freak out. Don't even get me started. Are you people nuts? Do you not remember it took us 100 years of football to get our first top WR. There is zero chance AJ walks. ZERO.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was not promising this year with Alshon. If he proved he could work thru his injuries and get on the field I might feel different, but dishing out 13 plus on Alshon could get 4 more workable bodies on the field.

NFL Media's Albert Breer collected the estimated tag figures, according to one team's calculations. The below estimates are based on an approximated $143 million salary cap -- $10 million above last season (the league has not yet disseminated to the team's the exact salary cap figures for 2015).

Quarterbacks: $18.51 million
Defensive ends: $14.78 million
Linebacker: $13.17 million
Cornerback: $13.05 million
Offensive line: $12.92 million
Wide Receivers: $12.8 million
Defensive Tackle: $11.17 million
Running Backs: $10.93 million
Safety: $9.6 million
Tight ends: $8.33 million
Kicker/Punter: $4.12 million

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy hasn't stayed on the field consistently, ever in his career.
I admit, last season was disappointing, but I looked at his game log on Profootball Ref...
Considering he's been in the league 4 years, he's played 51 of 64 possible games.
Not counting his rookie season, he's played 41 of a possible 48. And he did have a stretch of 37 straight games until he missed game 2 in 2015.
But more than that, the guy can catch. (I don't want another David Terrell.)
We can`t afford to replace two offensive starters.
Do you not remember it took us 100 years of football to get our first top WR.
^ ^ ^ Boom!
I do like what Mariani did with his opportunities. And I would be content with Alshon, White and Mariani. No need to make WR a priority.

Just hope all of this reporting is "speculative" and the Bears come thru.

Last edited:

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hopeful they get a long term deal done, but we have no idea what Alshon's asking price would be.
IMO- an injury riddled contract year is good news for the Bears. They can propose a slightly less than offer that guys like AJ and Dez got last year.
Alshon can think of the security that a long term deal brings him.
There has been word that Jeffery did some odd thing with his past contract where he "sold" a portion of his future contracts for a big chunk of cash.

Here's what Jeffery did:
The concept works like this: Fantex buys a portion of an athlete's future income and publicly offers stock on that sum with Securities and Exchange Commission approval.
The value of the stock, which is traded on the Fantex site, is linked to an athlete's performance. If a player signs a more lucrative playing contract or new endorsement deals, investors might buy shares and increase the value of the stock. Earnings also apply after an athlete retires for other appearance fees, business ventures or endorsements. Fantex takes a commission on each trade as investors buy and sell shares.
Fantex announced in September that it had purchased 13 percent of Jeffery's "brand value" for $7.94 million.

I'm not sure how that effects Alshon's current cash flow... the way I understand it- a portion of his paychecks go to FANTEX. While he gets the big $7.94M one time payment. Could this play in what he's expecting from Free Agency?

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, a franchise tag is probably the best for both parties, Bears get the out if he is a broken down player, AJ gets serious big money next year if he survives. Edit: Seriously, the Bears need to ink him to a solid contract.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know what that Fantex deal is, 7.94 was his total rookie contract.

I mean we are not in the position that denver is in, with Thomas and Miller both candidates for the tag, but if they are willing to let alshon walk, then its probably better to transition tag him and match an offer. There is just a pretty big chance he is gonna get some 3/40 type of offer, if there really is a team more desperate for a wide receiver than the bears.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I admit, last season was disappointing, but I looked at his game log on Profootball Ref...
Considering he's been in the league 4 years, he's played 51 of 64 possible games.
Not counting his rookie season, he's played 41 of a possible 48. And he did have a stretch of 37 straight games until he missed game 2 in 2015.
But more than that, the guy can catch. (I don't want another David Terrell.)

Eh... that's a tad misleading, IMO. Can you remember an extended chunk of time in Alshon's career when he wasn't banged up? The guy is always dealing with something, and has spent the majority of his career off of the practice field during the week. With the questionable/game-time tag on him heading into the weekend. He's played plenty of games where he has hobbled around, and been a pretty big non-factor.

Heck of a talent, and like I said. I want to see him stay. However, I am afraid he's going to be looking for a REALLY big payout. If all of us here realize the WR situation on the free agent market, than you can bet damn well his agent and him do too.

We're not in a position to be overpaying for players right now. I fear Alshon wants a Dez Bryant or AJ Green type of payout. I'd rather not give it him. However, someone will...

Blitzville

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh, let Marshall go... check, let Forte go... check, sign Jeffery to big contract and let him go either next season or the year after that check. At some point if you're a free agent AND looking for a team with longevity, the Bears look really good right now.

Well maybe with the exception of Cutler.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other issue with letting AJ walk is that the Bears are already thinking about letting Bennett walk, from what I have heard. You telling me this organization can overcome, Forte, AJ and Bennett all going ? Forte is a wash, I think they have the kids to back that up. AJ would be tough, but hey, they did it for a bunch of games last year. Bennett is the bigger toughy, there isn't anyone to back him up on the team other than oft injured Miller and with Celek grabbing a big contract for less production, I don't know if the Bears are willing to spend the money on Miller having to eat Bennett's Cap money to begin with.

If I was the O coordinator the thought of loosing the starting RB, best WR and Best TE would be rather concerning, particularly since you already have an unknown at the other WR position, no back up for TE, the need to find a back up Tackle, a Starting Guard and a big prayer that someone will look better at Center this year. Forgetting the Defense issues for a second. And the fact the Bears are going to HAVE to start to find a replacement for Jay.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kiper has three quarterbacks listed in his top 20.

Lose your RB, lose your TE, lose your WR, no sense in not thinking about getting the future QB in here.

If they get Jeffrey at their price, fine, I dont want them paying 14 million just because the class is weak.

This offense had tools at every position and no playoffs, maybe its time

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lose your RB, lose your TE, lose your WR, no sense in not thinking about getting the future QB in here.
If they get Jeffrey at their price, fine, I dont want them paying 14 million just because the class is weak.

Your logic is... that they've already "lost" our offensive playmakers... so your solution is to draft a player that will not play in his rookie year? You absolutely baffle me dude.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would like to see us draft one of the three,or one of the top two rbs.........

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your logic is... that they've already "lost" our offensive playmakers... so your solution is to draft a player that will not play in his rookie year? You absolutely baffle me dude.

Draft a player that will grow and mature with the rest of the next wave that we have in White and Langston. I know your logic is a certain QB will play forever, so equally confused on this end.

Defense is already in rebuild mode, sounds like a clean slate.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other issue with letting AJ walk is that the Bears are already thinking about letting Bennett walk, from what I have heard. You telling me this organization can overcome, Forte, AJ and Bennett all going ? Forte is a wash, I think they have the kids to back that up. AJ would be tough, but hey, they did it for a bunch of games last year. Bennett is the bigger toughy, there isn't anyone to back him up on the team other than oft injured Miller and with Celek grabbing a big contract for less production, I don't know if the Bears are willing to spend the money on Miller having to eat Bennett's Cap money to begin with.

If I was the O coordinator the thought of loosing the starting RB, best WR and Best TE would be rather concerning, particularly since you already have an unknown at the other WR position, no back up for TE, the need to find a back up Tackle, a Starting Guard and a big prayer that someone will look better at Center this year. Forgetting the Defense issues for a second. And the fact the Bears are going to HAVE to start to find a replacement for Jay.

Bennett is under contract for 2016 fwiw.