• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All things offseason

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year, I'll be watching Kaaya from Miami and Kelly at Ole Miss.

That's one guy I was directed towards when I inquired about who the college QB's coming out next year - Kaaya. I'll have to find a way to watch him. Actually, I was pointed towards more read option/zone read guys.....no thanks.

Another guy who I just started finding out about is Josh Rosen, but as I understand, he can't go to the NFL next year. A lot of people believe he's 'the next one' and if true, sign me up.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There were articles last season too. I remember reading a couple. I think this topic keeps getting revisited because Baalke keeps using it on players like Smelter that don't pan out.

ok, my bad.

i remember arguing with a few guys ( i can only remember Crimson right now) last year, and just couldn't believe they were defending Baalke?! they were likely arguing with me just to argue with me, so anyway i'll TRY to lay off this topic. It is too obvious now with Thomas and Smelter gone, just that these articles keep coming up now.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, if he does this again next draft, he'll have no way to justify it. Even trying to use Carradine as proof, won't cut it.

The results aren't even gray, it is a clear cut proven failure.

BTW - For me, not including Redmond on this list. Yes, he is close but it wasn't 100% for sure he'd 'redshirt'.
I agree its been a failure. Im still ok with doing it in late rd picks. 5th , 6th or 7th rd picks. I wouldn't use it in the top 4 rds.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree its been a failure. Im still ok with doing it in late rd picks. 5th , 6th or 7th rd picks. I wouldn't use it in the top 4 rds.

You admit it has failed but STILL want to continue doing it, why?

Are you STILL expecting to get a steal in Round 4? Lattimore and Smelter isn't enough proof for you?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You admit it has failed but STILL want to continue doing it, why?

Are you STILL expecting to get a steal in Round 4? Lattimore and Smelter isn't enough proof for you?
because those late rd picks rarely ever pan out so why not take a chance and hope u hit a home run one of these times. I mean look at our practice squad this year. we have 3 of our draft picks(this year draft) on it from this draft. So what is the difference. I don't see a difference.

I never said 4th rd. I said 5th,6th and 7th.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
because those late rd picks rarely ever pan out so why not take a chance and hope u hit a home run one of these times. I mean look at our practice squad this year. we have 3 of our draft picks(this year draft) on it from this draft. So what is the difference. I don't see a difference.

I never said 4th rd. I said 5th,6th and 7th.

my error, you did say Round 5 and lower.

A 5th rounder can be a good PK, a good long snapper, a good Punter, a good punt returner. A 5th rounder can become a solid back-up. Even if they hit the PS, a player on the practice squad means he just missed out on the 53, but he has potential to make the 53. a player on the PS could be called up at any time, into the next game.

An IR player is totally nothing in his first year, and isn't making much progress acclimating to game speed. Then he doesn't play in his second year either, or is catching up with game speed. He is still on the team because of his draft status, but takes a spot from someone else. That someone else is picked up by another team. Then in his 3rd season, the IR player is cut anyway.

we can't even get a base on balls, and you're STILL thinking home run?! A doctor just explained the odds of these guys even recovering to their norm, and you're still thinking home run?! drafting nothing still gets you nothing.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, my bad.

i remember arguing with a few guys ( i can only remember Crimson right now) last year, and just couldn't believe they were defending Baalke?! they were likely arguing with me just to argue with me, so anyway i'll TRY to lay off this topic. It is too obvious now with Thomas and Smelter gone, just that these articles keep coming up now.
Lol, hard to lay off topic when they keep coming up with new stories. If Baalke would stop, eventually it would go away. And he needs to stop
ok, my bad.

These articles keep coming up because Baalke continues to employ the strategy and we are also starting to see some of those players he drafted (Smelter and Thomas) not pan out. If he quit doing it, the articles would stop.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Lol, hard to lay off topic when they keep coming up with new stories. If Baalke would stop, eventually it would go away. And he needs to stop

These articles keep coming up because Baalke continues to employ the strategy and we are also starting to see some of those players he drafted (Smelter and Thomas) not pan out. If he quit doing it, the articles would stop.

Yeah, after getting yet more zero's in Brandon Thomas and Smelter, can't imagine he'll continue doing it. So yes, this should be it already cause how many more articles do we need? :-)

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, after getting yet more zero's in Brandon Thomas and Smelter, can't imagine he'll continue doing it. So yes, this should be it already cause how many more articles do we need? :-)

Little OT, but dang I was really hoping to see something out of Smelter...guess the injury was too much to come back from?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Little OT, but dang I was really hoping to see something out of Smelter...guess the injury was too much to come back from?
He was dealing with a hamstring injury, not the knee injury he originally sustained. I suspect there was more to it liked he just sucked overall and showed nothing.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He was dealing with a hamstring injury, not the knee injury he originally sustained. I suspect there was more to it liked he just sucked overall and showed nothing.

as the doctor pointed out, they can't even replace the cartilage right. it is no wonder a HIGH percentage of these guys don't get back near their pre-injury abilities. they suck because they're knee ISN'T 'good as new'. they can't run anymore.

who is the most recent example...Jaylon Smith. the Cowboys think they got a fantastic steal, but we'll see if he even plays again?

Pre-injury they're a 1st or 2nd round talent, and Baalke keep thinking that AFTER the injury. Post injury they're really 'flyers' at best, but he thinks he's getting a steal in Round 3 or 4. Not only is it NOT a steal, you've lost that draft value.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Or there is that suck factor as well. I don't even think I've seen him play at all...haven't really watched a full preseason game due to TV scheduling where I live. The only time I've seen any body of work it was from his highlight reel after we drafted him.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or there is that suck factor as well. I don't even think I've seen him play at all...haven't really watched a full preseason game due to TV scheduling where I live. The only time I've seen any body of work it was from his highlight reel after we drafted him.

I saw him play a little. He looked slow and if he can't out muscle people he wasn't going to be any good.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
U do know if Tank blows up here Baalke will say thats why he takes chances on IR players.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did tank even do anything in the game? I saw armstead and buckner more than him
Overall i guess you can say everyone that played on D did something. D was outstanding. Now did he stand out no. Buckner graded out as the best pass rusher.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall i guess you can say everyone that played on D did something. D was outstanding. Now did he stand out no. Buckner graded out as the best pass rusher.

Often times the 49ers were only rushing three people during obvious passing downs. I normally hate that strategy. Maybe it was used to drop back more people into coverage and confuse Case Keenum. But I hope that isn't an ongoing strategy.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Often times the 49ers were only rushing three people during obvious passing downs. I normally hate that strategy. Maybe it was used to drop back more people into coverage and confuse Case Keenum. But I hope that isn't an ongoing strategy.
I don't know if any one notice but Pitt did the same thing. I think against bad QBs we can do this.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josh Gordon in rehab again and his NFL comeback is on hold. Again. The guy just can't stay clean.