• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AJ McCarron

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am going to politely point in the direction of DVOA here:

Unweighted DVOA by year in KC just for fun; bolded being playoff years

2013: 9th
2014: 19th
2015: 6th
2016: 14th
2017: 30th

Weighted

2013: 14th
2014: 20th
2015: 2nd
2016: 14th
2017: 32nd

Only once did he have a bottom ten D- this past year; which was without Ford, Berry, while Johnson and Parker had fallen off a cliff; then overextending role players such as Daniel Sorenson.

Other footnotes:

2013 had both primary edge rushers in Hali and Houston get hurt in the later part of the year, and Houston again in the playoff game; fueling a... undesirable set of circumstances that led to critical failure against the Colts.

2014: bad run D, lacked CB's; Sean Smith was a 1 man crew there. PPG was mostly deceiving though the passrush may have masked issues. This was Houston's 20+ sack season. Derrick Johnson tore his achilles the first time this year. Their primary ILB was an entity called Josh Mauga after week 1. Ron Parker emerged, but at CB he was overmatched at times.

2015: Jaye Howard (this was pre-hip injury) broke out while several players broke out and mostly stayed healthy. Houston unfortunately had Ron Parker leg whip him and compromised his ACL. Hali begins to show additional age as Dee Ford flounders. Marcus Peters and Sean Smith played their only year together. Curiously, Houston plays a playoff game with a compromised (see stretched) ACL and is... a non factor against the Texans and Patriots predictably.

2016: Justin Houston misses most of the season and isn't quite the same but still pretty good when he returned. Hali looks done, but fortunately Ford emerges to cover slack. Derrick Johnson tears his achilles again late in the season leaving Ramik Wilson and special teamer DJ Alexander (Probowler!) at ILB; the latter was so bad in an upset loss to the Titans at home the Chiefs benched him for a creature called Terrance Smith. Steven Nelson quietly has a decent year in the slot, but is up and down. Sean Smith leaves for Oakland. Jaye Howard also has a hip injury. Allen Bailey also accumulates injuries. Terrance Mitchell weirdly looks dominant the past month of the season to hide issues at CB. Jaye Howard is later cut. Chris Jones looks like a stud however.

2017: Houston is back to elite form, but Ford and Berry are hurt immediately; with Ford not being effective when on the field, injury or not. Steven Nelson has a core muscle surgery and misses about half the season, does not look nearly as good as in 2016. Derrick Johnson fails to recover from a 2nd achilles tear, and looks very JAGish. Ragland emerges as a two down thumper, but plugs in a dam. Ron Parker has his most ineffective year as a Chief. At this point, there Chris Jones, Houston, and Peters along with a couple JAGS are not a defense make. Ragland is useful, however.

2013-2016 you can reasonable argue were good defenses independent of their PPG and yardage even if circumstance keeps them out of the top 10. 2017 and 2015 are completely indisputable in their terribleness and excellence (sans the playoffs where their megastar Edge was compromised) respectively.

The 15th ranked offense in 2016 had Spencer Ware. Ware was 10th in scrimmage yards despite missing 2 games with a concussion at 1,368 yards. In scrimmage yards per game, Ware was 8th. In YPC, Ware had a 4.30 YPC and a 4.62 career mark. The Chiefs were also... 21st in rushing attempts in 2016.

I think when you have to go through a rundown of the injury report over a span of four years. We understand where your heart lies on the matter. lol

Regardless of who was injured, they were not always a good D. Especially this past year.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol... Okay. Nevermind.

I had no idea you were so naive.

There's no such thing as 100 million dollar financial commitments being valued... there's no such thing as coaching staff's sticking with "franchise QB's" who they were previously committed to.

See the Seahawks with wilson

I don't get it... Is this where I am supposed to point out the numerous examples in my favor?

Also, Flynn's deal was a fraction of what Dalton's was.

To suggest McCarron did not play well enough to garner a lot of interest, is absurd.

2-1 Record
66.7 CMP%
854 Yards
6 TD's
2 INT's
97.1 QB Rating
When McCarron plays well against Zone, it'll be a first.

Reactions: GNG

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think when you have to go through a rundown of the injury report over a span of four years. We understand where your heart lies on the matter. lol

Regardless of who was injured, they were not always a good D. Especially this past year.
Saying they were a bad D or below average D is just as dishonest as saying it they were always a great D by citing their PPG. I do think they had some bad injury luck here and there- especially playoff time- think I am a homer, that's fine, but the evidence doesn't really support your theory. What I will say is Smith has had some really weird stuff happen around him in the playoffs; some his fault but mostly not his fault.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saying they were a bad D or below average D is just as dishonest as saying it they were always a great D by citing their PPG. I do think they had some bad injury luck here and there- especially playoff time- think I am a homer, that's fine, but the evidence doesn't really support your theory. What I will say is Smith has had some really weird stuff happen around him in the playoffs; some his fault but mostly not his fault.

I don't think you are a homer, that was not my assertion.

What do injuries have to do with it? Did he get great defensive support or no? Injuries have literally ZERO to do with that. It does not matter what Alex Smith COULD HAVE potentially gotten in support with a healthy D. It only matters what actually transpired...

but the evidence doesn't really support your theory

Dude, I don't have a theory. lol

You are 10x more wrapped up in this than I am.

Here's what happened...

- OP said Smith had a top ten D and run game every year that he made the playoffs in KC.

- I pointed out that it was false.

I am correct about that, and there is zero other way to spin it.

Calm down, big guy. I can see this is an argument you have had a lot recently. Your guns are locked/loaded. You're assuming a lot about my intentions.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you are a homer, that was not my assertion.

What do injuries have to do with it? Did he get great defensive support or no? Injuries have literally ZERO to do with that. It does not matter what Alex Smith COULD HAVE potentially gotten in support with a healthy D. It only matters what actually transpired...

but the evidence doesn't really support your theory

Dude, I don't have a theory. lol

You are 10x more wrapped up in this than I am.

Here's what happened...

- OP said Smith had a top ten D and run game every year that he made the playoffs in KC.

- I pointed out that it was false.

Calm down, big guy. I can see this is an argument you have had a lot recently, and you're guns are locked/loaded. You're assuming a lot about my intentions.
You pose a fair question, I would just argue with neutral injury luck, he has had good help on defense during his tenure as a Chief with 2014 being blah and 2017 being indisputably bad once Berry went on IR. Smith has had some pretty awful luck when it comes to the health of his teams in the playoffs, however. With that being said, this is kind of distracting from Smith the QB going forward.

Usually I am arguing defense was not carrying the offense when I bring that up if you're wondering. Maybe Reid was carrying the offense at certain points, but the offense no.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You pose a fair question, I would just argue with neutral injury luck, he has had good help on defense during his tenure as a Chief with 2014 being blah and 2017 being indisputably bad once Berry went on IR. Smith has had some pretty awful luck when it comes to the health of his teams in the playoffs, however. With that being said, this is kind of distracting from Smith the QB going forward.

Usually I am arguing defense was not carrying the offense when I bring that up if you're wondering. Maybe Reid was carrying the offense at certain points, but the offense no.

I don't think Smith is anything worth writing home about. However, I think that suggesting he has "proven nothing" in the NFL is just silly. He's a solid QB. Nothing more, nothing less. I 100% understand KC moving on from him, and I 100% get why other teams may feel like they can win with him.

He's the type of QB who would really need everything firing around him, in order to contend for a SB. However, worse QB's have made it to the big game. Arguably, this past season, a worse QB won the big game.

Most QB's during playoff runs have pieces around them... that's kind of how it goes. Smith never had anything really overwhelming going on around him with the Chiefs. It is always weird to me how when a QB has a poor supporting cast, people say -- "Well, of course he isn't winning! Look at his D and run game!"... Then, when he gets that supporting cast. People blame the QB for it -- "Of course he's winning! Look at his top ten D and run game!"

Huh? lol

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok whatever, investment or not you put the best product on the field, you give the investment first crack, but you compete, this is the NFL where they are here to win.........big contract guys get sat or cut, you see it...........but sure AJ is good, go get em

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if KC had a RB or Defense (hell, even a mediocre one), he might not have had to throw it 600 times a season and his stats wouldn’t be quite as good, but his record may have been better?? This can be spun so many different ways. Quit looking at the stat sheet and watch the games gk. KC and AS are equals....

They are nothing alike. Alex Smith is a check down Charlie that never had to carry an offense. KC has never had a run game to help and is always carrying the offense.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCarron looks like a career backup QB.

Odd thing to say so assuredly, about a guy who posted high-quality numbers in his only stint as a starter.

I suppose you thought the same about Jimmy G?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odd thing to say so assuredly, about a guy who posted high-quality numbers in his only stint as a starter.

No I didn't.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

so did matt flynn? aj was a 5th or 6th round pick, learning under dalton? what makes you think thats changed

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok whatever, investment or not you put the best product on the field, you give the investment first crack, but you compete, this is the NFL where they are here to win.........big contract guys get sat or cut, you see it...........but sure AJ is good, go get em

Name one 100+ million dollar QB who has ever been beat out for a starting job.

HINT: Cutler got benched for one game, to make a point. Started the following week, and then started for two more seasons. lol. That's the best example you'll find.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so did matt flynn? aj was a 5th or 6th round pick, learning under dalton? what makes you think thats changed

I don't understand what Matt Flynn has to do with this... Quite frankly, you have yet to make a salient point. I don't even understand the question.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HINT: Cutler got benched for one game, to make a point. Started the following week, and then started for two more seasons. lol. That's the best example you'll find.
and cutler was the best option...........in this case, dalton was as well...........meaning mcarron is worse than dalton, thank you for proving my point

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and cutler was the best option...........in this case, dalton was as well...........meaning mcarron is worse than dalton, thank you for proving my point

LMAO... wow. You're really off the rails, huh?

The Bears went... 5-11, 6-10 and 3-13 in the 3 years Cutler was under that 100 million dollar contract.

Yet, money had nothing to do with him remaining the starter? Okay.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Burt Favre got his ass dealt to the Jets.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mike Vick

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Drew Bledsoe

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kaep

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brees might be the only 100million QB to make it thru his deal.

Palmer and Fat Don mcNabb sure didn't.