• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Air Canada threatens to pull NHL sponsorship

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"sprechen sie dick" was always a hit at Oktoberfest

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trying to be difficult, but that's a very loaded statement.

AC has issues with the NHL's ruling that Chara didn't really violate "company policy" except for a basic 2 minute interference penalty. They're taking issue with "company policy" essentially.

Poor wording on my part but the difference is still there. In other industries sponsors do not dictate company policy just because they advertise with them.

If they don't like how the NHL is running things they can choose not to be associated with them, I just think it is complete B.S. to threaten the NHL with pulling your sponsorship if they don't discipline they way that Air Canada wants them to.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor wording on my part but the difference is still there. In other industries sponsors do not dictate company policy just because they advertise with them.

If they don't like how the NHL is running things they can choose not to be associated with them, I just think it is complete B.S. to threaten the NHL with pulling your sponsorship if they don't discipline they way that Air Canada wants them to.

I agree with you that it's B.S., but I disagree that there is a big difference here.

Meh....agree to disagree and all of that.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Air Canada is a great brand, as is the National Hockey League," said Bettman. "And if they decide that they need to do other things with their sponsorship dollars, that is their prerogative, just that it is the prerogative of our clubs that fly on Air Canada to make other arrangements if they don't think Air Canada is not giving them the appropriate level of service."

Wow, Bettman has balls.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In related news air chief is pulling its support of the new york rangers due to to many injuries to Marion Gaborik :D

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahahahahaha... no, fail. Not funny.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, Bettman has balls.

Bettman is a lot of things, but I don't think anyone has ever questioned his ballsy-ness.

Afterall, he was the first commish ever to take the drastic step of canceling an entire season.

And he's shown a distinct willingness to piss-off lifelong hockey fans, who we all know can be a bit crazy.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to know what his reaction would have been if instead of it being Air Canada speaking out ... the corporate partner speaking out was Delta/United/American?

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to know what his reaction would have been if instead of it being Air Canada speaking out ... the corporate partner speaking out was Delta/United/American?

Is this a comment on his hatred of Canada or the fact that those three airlines are all way bigger than AC?

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i know the NHL has the hammer here ... they are paying way more to air canada in their travel deals for all the canadian teams (and some american teams) as puckhead pointed out than air canada is sending their way in advertising/sponsorship dollars ... but is this the way you treat a corporate partner, Gary?

of course, I dont think Air Canada was in the right to be so bold as to take a public stance and some heads at air canada might end up rolling but why not blister them behind the scenes in a private meeting and try and get them to retract or minimize their comments than publically basically tell them to shove it and take their ad dollars elsewhere

why burn a bridge with a corporate partner? yah i guess they can go to Westjet for their future Cdn travel needs but how smart will it be to have only one vendor to negotiate with?

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Is this a comment on his hatred of Canada or the fact that those three airlines are all way bigger than AC?

methinks a comment on the propensity for Bettman to bend over backwards for American interests.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Move the Senators to Kansas City and offer them exclusive naming rights?

United and American probably wouldn't be interested since they both have their names on NHL buildings already.

For Delta he could move them to Atla...oh, right.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

hatreds a strong word

as dash has pointed out numerous times ... bettman didnt fight anywhere near as hard to keep the jets in winnipeg as he has been in trying to keep the coyotes in the desert

based on that I just would have been interested to see what he would have said

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hatreds a strong word

as dash has pointed out numerous times ... bettman didnt fight anywhere near as hard to keep the jets in winnipeg as he has been in trying to keep the coyotes in the desert

based on that I just would have been interested to see what he would have said

Gotcha.

That's why I was asking though too, because I'd guess that, based on their size, the three American airlines are contributing more than AC is as well, especially American and United since they have their names on buildings.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, they are all already in cities with teams so they really killed my joke beofre it even took off.

2rub7eoeem-t.jpg