• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ahh, so the Seahawks WERE screwed

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I posted this in the NFL section, but no one ever goes there, so might as well repeat it here
NFL.com news: Super Bowl XL referee regrets that mistakes 'impacted the game'

Saying "I'll go to my grave" with regret, NFL referee Bill Leavy reopened a Seahawks' wound that won't heal by acknowledging he made mistakes in Seattle's disputed, 2006 Super Bowl loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The veteran official began an annual training-camp rules interpretation session with the Seattle media after practice on Friday by bringing up the sore subject without being asked.

Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai

"It was a tough thing for me. I kicked two calls in the fourth quarter and I impacted the game, and as an official you never want to do that," said the veteran of 15 NFL seasons and two Super Bowls.

"It left me with a lot of sleepless nights, and I think about it constantly," Leavy said of the game in February 2006. "I'll go to my grave wishing that I'd been better."

naslundfan19

Boredom Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw that on the front page of Yahoo this morning. Some of the comments on it were just laughable.

HonusWagner66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wooooooooo

Last edited by a moderator:

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put in Leavy in front of the Pittsburgh media tomorrow and I bet he'd back track real fast.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every call, questionable or not, "impacts the game." There is a difference between impacting the game and impacting the outcome. But this bit of common sense will be overshadowed over the media and fans' sound bite opportunity.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Every call, questionable or not, "impacts the game." There is a difference between impacting the game and impacting the outcome. But this bit of common sense will be overshadowed over the media and fans' sound bite opportunity.

if a ref has been anguished, losing sleep over it, and "will go to his grave wishing he had done better",
it's a bit more severe than just a call or two that coulda gone either way.

too soon for 1* :D

naslundfan19

Boredom Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to make this an argument, because this is what, 4 and a half years ago. But the calls he regrets, if called correctly (IMO), turn a 21-10 Steeler lead, into a very likely 17-14 Seahawk lead in the 4th quarter. Then, who knows what happens?

PenVolution

woooooooo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't want to make this an argument, because this is what, 4 and a half years ago. But the calls he regrets, if called correctly (IMO), turn a 21-10 Steeler lead, into a very likely 17-14 Seahawk lead in the 4th quarter. Then, who knows what happens?

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, I agree with you...but your math is off, and I've seen this before...going on the scoring calls, if the Ben TD run had been called short, likely they would have kicked a FG, thus that's a 4 point swing, not 7. Also if the push-off hadn't been called, that would have been a TD instead of the FG they got, so that's another 4-point swing. 21-4=17 for the Steelers, and 10+4=14 for the Seahawks, not the other way around. Anyway...all of the calls were judgement calls, with the only blatently bad call IMO was the 15-yard illegal block call. If a team can't overcome 15 yards from a bad call, then they had other issues. :)

This Seattle article after the game sums it up better than I could:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2002795956_theplays10.html

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was the article in "Duh Weekly"?

naslundfan19

Boredom Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, I agree with you...but your math is off, and I've seen this before...going on the scoring calls, if the Ben TD run had been called short, likely they would have kicked a FG, thus that's a 4 point swing, not 7. Also if the push-off hadn't been called, that would have been a TD instead of the FG they got, so that's another 4-point swing. 21-4=17 for the Steelers, and 10+4=14 for the Seahawks, not the other way around. Anyway...all of the calls were judgement calls, with the only blatently bad call IMO was the 15-yard illegal block call. If a team can't overcome 15 yards from a bad call, then they had other issues. :)

This Seattle article after the game sums it up better than I could:

The Seattle Times: Seahawks: Explanations of six key plays

Oh, I agree dare. I was just going off the Locklear hold, then the Hasselbeck illegal block. Which, as you said was the only obvious, blatant bad call. I think the hold was bad, but I can see why people might disagree. (although I would disagree with them:)) But, it's over. Time to move on. Can't change it. Although I obviously wish I could.:)

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Human element is part of the game. The refs are human I believe. Its sucks that it happened in the SB let alone a regular season game. Besides, is this really something we all didnt know already?

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm giving Puckhead a couple of demerits for not marking this thread OT:

:D

ELYEAH82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if a ref has been anguished, losing sleep over it, and "will go to his grave wishing he had done better",
it's a bit more severe than just a call or two that coulda gone either way.

too soon for 1* :D

REALLY??? Tell that to Jim Joyce!!!!!!!!

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, this i can agree with...not as bad as the Cards fans that complain about the Harrison pick 7 in XLII. they complain about an illegal block (which was to the shoulder) ignoring the fact that the only guy CLOSE to getting to James was Fitz who ran OUT OF BOUNDS to get there...also illegal. props to fitz though, blazing speed.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Leavy is just stating what everyone already knew. The Steelers may have won the Super Bowl anyway, who knows, so I've never maintained that the officiating lost XL for the Seahawks, I've just always said they never had a legitimate shot to win it. I know the NFL said the calls were good, but actions speak louder than words and in a league that fines you for looking at the ref the wrong way, the fact they never fined Holmgren for his comments after XL spoke louder than any statement from the NFL ever could.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Leavy is just stating what everyone already knew. The Steelers may have won the Super Bowl anyway, who knows, so I've never maintained that the officiating lost XL for the Seahawks, I've just always said they never had a legitimate shot to win it. I know the NFL said the calls were good, but actions speak louder than words and in a league that fines you for looking at the ref the wrong way, the fact they never fined Holmgren for his comments after XL spoke louder than any statement from the NFL ever could.

there's a lot of stuff the NFL does that makes ZERO sense. i stand by my opinion with the Roethlisberger situation...him getting 6 games (and Goodell basically giving the inkling that he won't lower is) for being found innocent in the court of law is okay by me. however, in relation to that, how does a guy like Vince Young get none when he's caught on camera beating down a dude at a strip club? between that, their salaries, and the chance of a lockout upcoming, the NFL better watch themselves...dangerous road to be traveling down.