• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A+ offseason so far

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
galvis gone for a solid pitching prospect. a consistent 20 homer/.360 obp/.800 hitter in santana. a couple of solid pen signings. as is, the team looks.. pretty damn solid.

hernandez
herrera
williams/altherr
hoskins
santana
alfaro
franco
crawford

seems at least one of the outfielders is trade bait. don't know who.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm not sure which is making me laugh harder so far about santana; the people acting like the phils spent so much money (when it's absolutely nothing to them) or the people who say "it makes no sense." (as if they understand what's going on behind the closed doors of an organization from professionals who live and breathe it.)

fans are just flat out fucking stupid.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the contract is reasonable (and I would have loved to see the Red Sox do it), but I'm curious as to where he'll get at bats. You guys have a logjam in the OF and a very promising 1B in Hoskins. Santana has experience at 3rd, but he hasn't played there since 2014 and he was pretty bad there.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only thing I don't like so far is losing Tocci. I hope he doesn't stick in Texas.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess that means they are ok with Hoskins playing left field. I don't think Santana is good enough defensively to play anywhere but first. But maybe this is a sign that the new management is more concerned with OBP than batting average unlike ol' Rube.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm not sure which is making me laugh harder so far about santana; the people acting like the phils spent so much money (when it's absolutely nothing to them) or the people who say "it makes no sense." (as if they understand what's going on behind the closed doors of an organization from professionals who live and breathe it.)

But they are smarter than you!

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the contract is reasonable (and I would have loved to see the Red Sox do it), but I'm curious as to where he'll get at bats. You guys have a logjam in the OF and a very promising 1B in Hoskins. Santana has experience at 3rd, but he hasn't played there since 2014 and he was pretty bad there.
Phillies will probably trade Altherr for a pitcher and move Hoskins to left. Santana will play 1st base.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It makes no sense that the Phillies spent so much money

$20 million isn't what it used to be like when fatass got it for 5 years way back in 2011. An on-base machine like Santana is what the Phils will need to lift their runs scored from a paltry 680 to 800 and become a credible contender.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
galvis gone for a solid pitching prospect. a consistent 20 homer/.360 obp/.800 hitter in santana. a couple of solid pen signings. as is, the team looks.. pretty damn solid.

hernandez
herrera
williams/altherr
hoskins
santana
alfaro
franco
crawford

seems at least one of the outfielders is trade bait. don't know who.

I agree. Now, if they can have a 2018 where they each play up to their potential. And we still have Kingery om the way up. I think if Klentak can just add at least one solid starting pitcher, we shouldn't have any trouble making a good run next year.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WTF. It's fucking stupid to say the fans are fucking stupid.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is just a few comments from one article about galvis/santana..

- "Don't get the Santana signing at all ! Bottom line is, 1st base didnt need to be addressed ! If another deal isnt in the works, this Santana move is puzzling at best He hit .259 last year and your starting staff is below average!!!!!!"

- "$60 million is a lot to spend on a guy who has never hit more than 87 RBIs or a batting average higher than .268 in a season"

- "I realize he’s better than Joseph, it just still shocks me what $20million gets you these days."

- "Terrible senseless move.

Can you say Michael Saunders ?"

- "3 years for a declining player. Swell."

- "Absolutely agree. All I heard was don't sign over the hill 30 year old free agents. And, what do the Phillies do? The Phillies sign a out of shape 30 year old free agent to take the 1st base spot from a guy who is better than him. Can't make this stuff up."

- "Another prospect who will,never pan out how all the prospects for Hammels work out all out of baseball"

- "Completely disagree on the Galvis trade. This prospect is just that, a prospect and Galvis is a proven MLBer. I find it hard to believe that a AA Prospect is all Freddy was worth."

as i was saying.. the majority of fans are FUCKING STUPID. always will be. the 'hammels' one and how a mediocre player like galvis is worth so much more had me rolling.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i was a little disappointed losing tocci because of his defensive ability. but the reality is he's horrible offensively and his outfield position makes him even less valuable compared to the left side of the infield, where guys can hang around as a bench player because of their glove.

i think they kept waiting for him to bulk up and show a little pop. it just never happened. he doesn't walk. he strikes out way too much for someone with zero power. he isn't even a solid threat to steal. if he was forced to play in the majors this year, i think you'd get a tyler goeddel result.. .192 avg/.258 obp/.549 ops. i could actually see tocci being worse than that.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw the Santana news. I fucking love it.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Santana has a lifetime 123 wRC+ and he's been a very steady OBP guy (career .365, lowest was .351 in 2011). Don't worry what the idiots say, he's a good player. Steamer projects him to be a very solid hitter once again (.257/.374/.480, 124 wRC+).