• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A-Gon

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red Sox Place Adrian Gonzalez On Trade Waivers: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

About 4.5M for the rest of this year and 21M per until '16 and 21.5M for '17 and '18.

I do not think we have the flexibility, so it aint happenin'. I doubt the G's would take him on a waiver claim.

But it would be fun to see him in the mid of the order...

Panda / AGon / Posey / Pence

fun :)

I mentioned this, tongue firmly in cheek and hands held up in prayer and hope, about a month ago. It ain't happening, but one could dream, right? Solid "D" at first. Solid average. HR power undiminished by the stadium. Hits well with RISP. I'd certainly have AGon at this price than Pence at a few mill less.

What if he made it through waivers? What if we claimed him? LAD gets Victoria and HanRam, and we get Moped and AGon? Winner!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mentioned this, tongue firmly in cheek and hands held up in prayer and hope, about a month ago. It ain't happening, but one could dream, right? Solid "D" at first. Solid average. HR power undiminished by the stadium. Hits well with RISP. I'd certainly have AGon at this price than Pence at a few mill less.

What if he made it through waivers? What if we claimed him? LAD gets Victoria and HanRam, and we get Moped and AGon? Winner!

We both agree that the $$ do not line up for the Gs...

So that said, lets just throw shit around for a bit...

Belt / Brown / Crick?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We both agree that the $$ do not line up for the Gs...

So that said, lets just throw shit around for a bit...

Belt / Brown / Crick?

Well, with AGon, Belt is history. Not sure the Red Sox need fielding, but they definitely need pitching.

Maybe to make some $$$ work out we can offer Crick and Zito and Belt? I'd sure hate to move Crick, he looks like a young(er) MadBum. But to get AGon? Why not. It's not my money.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, with AGon, Belt is history. Not sure the Red Sox need fielding, but they definitely need pitching.

Maybe to make some $$$ work out we can offer Crick and Zito and Belt? I'd sure hate to move Crick, he looks like a young(er) MadBum. But to get AGon? Why not. It's not my money.

Actually, no way Belt would clear waivers, so he is out of the deal, except as a PTBNL.

Adding Zeets is interesting, but a no-go. We are in a pennant race, and do not have an organizational #6 to step into the rotation.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, no way Belt would clear waivers, so he is out of the deal, except as a PTBNL.

Adding Zeets is interesting, but a no-go. We are in a pennant race, and do not have an organizational #6 to step into the rotation.

That's why I am not a GM. Until Sabey-Sabes makes a mistake. And then I am omniscient!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OK, then how about throwing in Melky and Mota as well? Or do a three way trade, and have the A'ssssssssss toss in Colon?

It would at least take the heat off of Bobby V and give the Bostonians something to murmur about.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, then how about throwing in Melky and Mota as well? Or do a three way trade, and have the A'ssssssssss toss in Colon?

It would at least take the heat off of Bobby V and give the Bostonians something to murmur about.

We could probably make the $$$ work going forward. Melky was going to make at least $12-14 mill in 2013. We might have to do without Pence as well, and move Belt to LF, but that would clear more than enough.

SF Giants Payroll 2013 with A-Gon

Starters

Timmy $22.0 fixed
Cain $20.0 fixed
Zito $20.0 fixed
Vogey $5.0 fixed
Bum $0.75 fixed

Starters Subtotal $67.75

Bullpen
Lopez $4.25 fixed
Affeldt $4.0 FA
Romo $2.5 FA
Casilla $2.5 FA
3 others $3.0 FA/Pre-Arb

Bullpen Subtotal $16.25

C/IF

Buster $2.5 Arb-1
HSan $0.5 Pre-Arb
A-Gon $21.0 fixed
Theriot $1.5 FA
Craw $0.5 Pre-Arb
Panda $5.7 Fixed
Arias $1.0 Arb-1

C/IF Subtotal $32.7

OF

FA OF-1 $6.0
Belt $0.5 Pre-Arb
Pagan $8.0 FA (1st yr of 3/25?)
Blanco $0.5 Pre-Arb
Other $0.5 Pre-Arb

OF Subtotal $15.5

Prelim Total $132.2 (for 24 players)

Assuming a 2013 budget of $135-$140mm, that leaves $5mm for other moves.

Pagan CF
Arias 2B
A Gon 1B
Buster C
Panda 2B
Belt LF
FA OF-1 RF
Craw SS
SP P

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could probably make the $$$ work going forward. Melky was going to make at least $12-14 mill in 2013. We might have to do without Pence as well, and move Belt to LF, but that would clear more than enough.

SF Giants Payroll 2013 with A-Gon

Starters

Timmy $22.0 fixed
Cain $20.0 fixed
Zito $20.0 fixed
Vogey $5.0 fixed
Bum $0.75 fixed

Starters Subtotal $67.75

Bullpen
Lopez $4.25 fixed
Affeldt $4.0 FA
Romo $2.5 FA
Casilla $2.5 FA
3 others $3.0 FA/Pre-Arb

Bullpen Subtotal $16.25

C/IF

Buster $2.5 Arb-1
HSan $0.5 Pre-Arb
A-Gon $21.0 fixed
Theriot $1.5 FA
Craw $0.5 Pre-Arb
Panda $5.7 Fixed
Arias $1.0 Arb-1

C/IF Subtotal $32.7

OF

FA OF-1 $6.0
Belt $0.5 Pre-Arb
Pagan $8.0 FA (1st yr of 3/25?)
Blanco $0.5 Pre-Arb
Other $0.5 Pre-Arb

OF Subtotal $15.5

Prelim Total $132.2 (for 24 players)

Assuming a 2013 budget of $135-$140mm, that leaves $5mm for other moves.

Pagan CF
Arias 2B
A Gon 1B
Buster C
Panda 2B
Belt LF
FA OF-1 RF
Craw SS
SP P

We'd probably have to trade Belt to land him. It's just not a fit.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do the Dodgers have enough to trade for him? I doubt a rich team like the Red Sox are looking for a salary dump.

I guess it's all in how much of the farm Secret Agent Ned is willing to mortgage. Considering, he may not even be around next season, if they don't make the playoffs, it might be worth the gamble in his eyes. I can certainly say that the Dodger love affair with Loney has gone sour and looks eerily similar to a possible ghost of Baseball Future tale given our own admiration/trade him relationship that Giants' fans have with Belt. Only time will tell.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else afraid the Dodgers may claim him?

Hopefully someone claims him before the Dodgers have a chance. I don't care if we get him; I just don't want the Dodgers to get him.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do the Dodgers have enough to trade for him? I doubt a rich team like the Red Sox are looking for a salary dump.

I'm sure they wouldn't just let him go for nothing, but the Dodgers did make all their moves without trading any of their top 5 prospects. I highly doubt anything happens, but it still scares me just a bit because the pieces line up too well...

Dodgers are done with Loney, Dodgers didn't acquire a 1B at the deadline but said they aren't done, Dodgers are wiping their ass with Benjamin Franklins, AGon on the market.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully someone claims him before the Dodgers have a chance. I don't care if we get him; I just don't want the Dodgers to get him.

It would certainly be an upgrade for them, and you can't deny A-Gon's numbers, but I have watched a few Red Sox games this year (begrudgingly). He has set his physique up for a long AL career. If that career can take place where he can smash doubles off of a big wall, go to the hated rivals house for some pop-up homers down the line and DH two to three times per week, he will continue to put up those numbers.

I don't think he is physically ready to take on the pitchers, ballparks and demands of the NL West. That may sound like hubris because the AL East is obviously more than a great test for good ballplayers and almost anyone is an improvement over Loney's .646 OPS, but A-Gon looks at least 20 lbs. overweight to me, it doesn't get easier to lose weight as we get older and he is due a gigantic chunk of change. Once you add in no farm depth for at least three years to the cost (no especially high draft picks either), it makes what seems to be a perfect fit, cause major flaws elsewhere. But hey, if the money truly is endless, go for it, LA. The Giants would be pretty fucked this year.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure they wouldn't just let him go for nothing, but the Dodgers did make all their moves without trading any of their top 5 prospects. I highly doubt anything happens, but it still scares me just a bit because the pieces line up too well...

Dodgers are done with Loney, Dodgers didn't acquire a 1B at the deadline but said they aren't done, Dodgers are wiping their ass with Benjamin Franklins, AGon on the market.

And the Dodgers did reportedly inquire about him prior to the July 31st deadline.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would certainly be an upgrade for them, and you can't deny A-Gon's numbers, but I have watched a few Red Sox games this year (begrudgingly). He has set his physique up for a long AL career. If that career can take place where he can smash doubles off of a big wall, go to the hated rivals house for some pop-up homers down the line and DH two to three times per week, he will continue to put up those numbers.

I don't think he is physically ready to take on the pitchers, ballparks and demands of the NL West. That may sound like hubris because the AL East is obviously more than a great test for good ballplayers and almost anyone is an improvement over Loney's .646 OPS, but A-Gon looks at least 20 lbs. overweight to me, it doesn't get easier to lose weight as we get older and he is due a gigantic chunk of change. Once you add in no farm depth for at least three years to the cost (no especially high draft picks either), it makes what seems to be a perfect fit, cause major flaws elsewhere. But hey, if the money truly is endless, go for it, LA. The Giants would be pretty fucked this year.

Good points. Also, he's not having a great year this year. Only 15 homeruns. Sign of decline? Maybe.

If the Dodgers were able to claim him or if he were to clear waivers, I presume the Red Sox aren't just dumping him and would ask for a lot back. The Dodgers have previously stated that they would not trade their top prospects. Probably still burned over guys like Carlos Santana and James McDonald. It's unlikely to happen, but the fact that the Dodgers seemingly have bottomless pockets scares me. Maybe they will reverse their stance about their top prospects in order to land AGon.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points. Also, he's not having a great year this year. Only 15 homeruns. Sign of decline? Maybe.

If the Dodgers were able to claim him or if he were to clear waivers, I presume the Red Sox aren't just dumping him and would ask for a lot back. The Dodgers have previously stated that they would not trade their top prospects. Probably still burned over guys like Carlos Santana and James McDonald. It's unlikely to happen, but the fact that the Dodgers seemingly have bottomless pockets scares me. Maybe they will reverse their stance about their top prospects in order to land AGon.

If he puts up the numbers that he has put up for the majority of his career, it would certainly be worth it. Few athletes are actually worth $21.5 million per year, but if money and prospects are no object...:flame:

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'd probably have to trade Belt to land him. It's just not a fit.

If it did get close to a deal, it better not be the notion of "gee, we just can't give up Belt" that stops it.

If we can somehow get him without gutting the club, I'd like to see it happen.

I think at this point, to get A-Gone only Cain and Posey are off the table. Add Bum to that list.

I respectfully disagree - I think it's a great fit.

Last edited by a moderator:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Oh boy.....Dodgers claim A-Gon. I guess we'll see to what lengths the new owners will go.