• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Daily Thread: 9-28-17 Well Red Sox tried to lose the game, Indians just win

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dirt, youre eye-talian...

interesting...

Legend has it that in the 1920s three mobsters ran afoul of Al Capone's gang. As street justice would have it, they came across a man with a baseball bat, and they paid for their indiscretions with their lives. The man wielding the bat allegedly was Tony Accardo, aka "Joe Batters."

Accardo, who rose to become boss of the Chicago mafia in the 1940s and '50s, is Joey Bosa's great-grandfather on his mom's side.

Not shocking

Bosa strikes me as a little nuts

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mentioned earlier I wouldn't be shocked if Houston won the series, but the Yanks don't take care of business

Asking to win out is a huge task
Since Cleveland has the tiebreaker, it's essentially like they have a 2-game lead. Plus, they are playing a team that just spent the night celebrating a playoff berth, that's locked into their playoff position, and it's a noon game. So we could go into tonight's game with the magic number being just 2 for Cleveland to clinch homefield.

If Cleveland wins this afternoon, Houston has to know their chances of getting the top seed is pretty slim. So more than likely, they are playing the Red Sox in the first round. Even if they were to win 3 out of 4, the Indians would have to get swept by Chicago in order for them to get a shot at Twins/Yankees. Plus, they may want the Red Sox as opposed to the Yankees.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since Cleveland has the tiebreaker, it's essentially like they have a 2-game lead. Plus, they are playing a team that just spent the night celebrating a playoff berth, that's locked into their playoff position, and it's a noon game. So we could go into tonight's game with the magic number being just 2 for Cleveland to clinch homefield.

If Cleveland wins this afternoon, Houston has to know their chances of getting the top seed is pretty slim. So more than likely, they are playing the Red Sox in the first round. Even if they were to win 3 out of 4, the Indians would have to get swept by Chicago in order for them to get a shot at Twins/Yankees. Plus, they may want the Red Sox as opposed to the Yankees.

Let me ask this nugget

Do you think there is any motivation for Houston, beside the top seed, to force a situation where Sale needs to pitch on Sunday, which of course, if Houston faces Boston, would limit the amount of times they would be facing him?

For the record, I personally doubt it...If Cleveland clinches by Saturday, I could see Houston sitting everyone over the weekend, at least in some combination of ways

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me ask this nugget

Do you think there is any motivation for Houston, beside the top seed, to force a situation where Sale needs to pitch on Sunday, which of course, if Houston faces Boston, would limit the amount of times they would be facing him?

For the record, I personally doubt it...If Cleveland clinches by Saturday, I could see Houston sitting everyone over the weekend, at least in some combination of ways
It's possible but I think the motivation would be more to try to wear Sale out over anything. Even if he pitches Sunday, he would go on full rest for Game 2 and then full rest for Game 5 if necessary. If he doesn't pitch Sunday, he goes Game 1 on Thursday, and then possibly short rest for Game 4, but I think more likely would pitch Game 5 if necessary on an extra day of rest.

But, you have to ask yourself if the benefit of forcing your opponent to not rest outweighs the benefit of you resting players. I think most teams would lean towards resting their guys.

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hadnt realized this Peacock fella is having such a good year

Some New Yorker told me this would be an easy series and that MLB was trying to help the Sox. What an idiot, huh?

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the reason being that resting your guys is a guarantee. If they go all out on Saturday to try to force Boston to use Sale on Sunday, they could be in a lose/lose situation because if they still lose, they'll have exhausted their team unnecessarily while still allowing Sale to get extra rest.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some New Yorker told me this would be an easy series and that MLB was trying to help the Sox. What an idiot, huh?

Well, at the end of the day, as the baseball world scratches its head at a Red Sox/Reds series in late September, as it turns out, that is the series that may very well decide the AL East

Well Done MLB

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, at the end of the day, as the baseball world scratches its head at a Red Sox/Reds series in late September, as it turns out, that is the series that may very well decide the AL East

Well Done MLB

Did the Yankees get to play the Reds this season?

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well Done MLB
:hug:

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF the Yankees can beat the Twins

Indians
Stros
Sox
Yanks
Nats
Cubs
Dbacks/Rockies
Dodgers

Thats a pretty damn good slate of teams this postseason

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, lonnnnnnng before they had their bags packed for the winter break

Yankees get to play a last place team to end the season. Sox have to play a first place team. Thanks a lot MLB.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yankees get to play a last place team to end the season. Sox have to play a first place team. Thanks a lot MLB.

For the record, due to the imbalanced schedules, the Yankees have the 3rd toughest schedule in all of baseball in 2017

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, due to the imbalanced schedules, the Yankees have the 3rd toughest schedule in all of baseball in 2017
Red Sox will play 50 games against teams with winning records this year. Yankees will play 48.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson v Colts
Cousins v Chiefs

Which one?

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more thing up for grabs. Homefield in the World Series is still in play. As we know, it is determined by best record this year as opposed to the All Star Game. The number is the magic number for the team to clinch homefield in the World Series against that opponent.

Dodgers
Indians: 1 (Dodgers own tiebreaker due to head to head record)
Astros: 1 (Astros own tiebreaker due to intradivision record)
Red Sox: clinched
Yankees: clinched
Twins: clinched

Nationals
Red Sox: 1 (Nationals own tiebreaker due to intradivision record)
Yankees: clinched

Cubs

Diamondbacks
Yankees: 1 (Diamondbacks own tiebreaker due to intradivision record)

Rockies
Twins: 1 (Rockies own tiebreaker due to head to head record)

Indians
Nationals: clinched
Diamondbacks: clinched
Cubs: clinched
Rockies: clinched
Brewers: clinched
Cardinals: clinched

Astros
Nationals: 2 (Nationals own tiebreaker due to head to head record)
Diamondbacks: clinched
Cubs: clinched

Red Sox
Diamondbacks: 4 (Diamondbacks own tiebreaker due to intradivision record)
Cubs: 1 (Red Sox own tiebreaker due to head to head record)

Yankees
Cubs: 4 (Yankees own tiebreaker due to head to head record)
Rockies: 1 (Rockies own tiebreaker due to intradivision record)

Twins
Brewers: 4 (Twins own tiebreaker due to head to head record)
Cardinals: 3 (Twins own tiebreaker due to intradivision record)

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My heart pumps a profound sadness throughout my entire being when I think of the injustices the New York Yankees have suffered at the hands of major league baseball.

How you find the strength to carry on, I'll never know.