• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 6) Miami Heat vs. 3) Philadelphia 76ers

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well of course Simmons can be stopped by really good defenders, just like every other player can be.
But I wasn't just making a general point that a great defender can sometimes get the better of a great offensive player...

... Rather, I was making a very specific point about how Simmons can (at least hypothetically, we'll see how the playoffs go) be contained using an unorthodox method that's only possible because of the hole in his game that is outside shooting. Namely:
  • Put a big on him who is both strong and athletic
  • Play off Simmons. Let him shoot if he wants to, and body him when he drives.
I've mentioned that the C's have had small-sample-size success doing this with Horford... and @bksballer89 has mentioned that the Heat have had small-sample-size success doing this with James Johnson. We'll see if it's an issue in the playoffs, of course.

However, my main point was that this sort of defensive tactic would never work if Simmons didn't have such a problem with shooting.
flyerhawk said:
The Sixers and Celtics haven't played since January. It will be interesting to see how they defend him if they both win their series.
We'll see... the C's have been ravaged by injuries... I think they have a decent chance against the Bucks, but the clear majority of folks see Boston losing, it seems.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I wasn't just making a general point that a great defender can sometimes get the better of a great offensive player...

... Rather, I was making a very specific point about how Simmons can (at least hypothetically, we'll see how the playoffs go) be contained using an unorthodox method that's only possible because of the hole in his game that is outside shooting. Namely:
  • Put a big on him who is both strong and athletic
  • Play off Simmons. Let him shoot if he wants to, and body him when he drives.
I've mentioned that the C's have had small-sample-size success doing this with Horford... and @bksballer89 has mentioned that the Heat have had small-sample-size success doing this with James Johnson. We'll see if it's an issue in the playoffs, of course.

Teams have been playing off of him for most of the season. It hasn't really stopped him much because that gives him space to make passes.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that Simmons will unaffected by playoff pressure en such. I just don't think he will be shut down.

We'll see... the C's have been ravaged by injuries... I think they have a decent chance against the Bucks, but the clear majority of folks see Boston losing, it seems.

I think the Celtics can and will win against the Bucks series but I also think that will be the end of the party for them.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sixers in 6.

Because they are the 6ers.

This is the most intriguing first round series. How will Philly's youngsters respond? When will Embiid return?

Philly is the better team, but inexperience could get them ousted in round 1.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heat in 7 :hope:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben Simmons was mediocre in the 2 games in Miami. Really good in the 2 games in Philly

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I've got Philly in six as well. We'll see what happens. Playoffs are a different beast though.

which is why I'm changing my prediction. adding in the Heat and So factor...

Philly's probably gonna win this, but they'll know they were in a series...

6ers in 7...

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philly in 5

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SIXERS in 5

The talent gap will overcome the experience gap quickly.

Unless the key 76ers players being ruled out, in which case I will still go SIXERS in 7.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the Heat at least bloody the Sixers nose a little bit and take it to 6.

Embiid vs. Whiteside should be thrilling TV. They each hate eachother.....and I am sure Embiid's face will be an attractive target for those swinging elbows that come lose every once in a while.

Plus, the Heat are a good home team, and the Sixers are young and without playoff experience, so the Heat should be able to make up for the talent disparity at least at home.

This should be a very interesting series.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PG- Dragic
SG- Johnson
SF- Richardson
PF- Olnyk
C- Whiteside

bench: Adebayo, J. Johnson, Wade, Ellington, Winslow

is that the 10 guys the Heat are most likely to play @bksballer89 ?

PG- Simmons
SG- Redick
SF- Covington
PF- Saric
C- Embiid (if healthy)/Amir Johnson

Bench: McConnell, Belinelli, Ilysova, Fultz, Holmes

It will be interesting......if the Heat can steal one of the first two games, since it sounds like Embiid might not be playing the first couple games, and then bring it back to Miami and get a lead in the series, it could be very interesting.

I just want to see the Embiid/Whiteside matchup so much.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sixers in 6.

Because they are the 6ers.

This is the most intriguing first round series. How will Philly's youngsters respond? When will Embiid return?

Philly is the better team, but inexperience could get them ousted in round 1.
inexperience and no Embiid. IF hte Sixers give up HCA it could get dicey for them. I guess this is obvious- but if the Sixers go up 2-0 its over--- esp. since Embiid might not play those first two games

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PG- Dragic
SG- Johnson
SF- Richardson
PF- Olnyk
C- Whiteside

PG- Simmons
SG- Redick
SF- Covington
PF- Saric

It will be interesting......if the Heat can steal one of the first two games, since it sounds like Embiid might not be playing the first couple games, and then bring it back to Miami and get a lead in the series, it could be very interesting.

Adebayo is a hit or miss TBH. Very hard to play all 4 of our bigs which is why I think one of them is gone this summer.....and it won't be Kelly or Bam.

But to answer your question, whenever Embiid returns, I think Spo will be forced to play Bam to defend Embiid when Hassan is on the bench....but until he is back in the sixers lineup, I'm expecting a 9 man rotation on Saturday

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PG- Dragic
SG- Johnson
SF- Richardson
PF- Olnyk
C- Whiteside

PG- Simmons
SG- Redick
SF- Covington
PF- Saric

McConnel’s playing time has been dwarfed since Fultz started playing. It’ll be interesting to see how much time he gets. I think they go 9-man and mostly leave McConnell off the floor.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McConnel’s playing time has been dwarfed since Fultz started playing. It’ll be interesting to see how much time he gets. I think they go 9-man and mostly leave McConnell off the floor.

Yeah. Fultz and McConnell are, at this point, not that far off offensively. But Fultz provides a LOT more defensive output than McConnell. Having a 6'11" wingspan really helps defensively.

Pretty good read about how the Heat will try and stop Simmons..

Who Can Stop Ben Simmons?

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm counting on the Heat to temper the hype. Its gotten a bit out of control, imo

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the Heat at least bloody the Sixers nose a little bit and take it to 6.

Embiid vs. Whiteside should be thrilling TV. They each hate eachother.....and I am sure Embiid's face will be an attractive target for those swinging elbows that come lose every once in a while.

Plus, the Heat are a good home team, and the Sixers are young and without playoff experience, so the Heat should be able to make up for the talent disparity at least at home.

This should be a very interesting series.

We've sucked on the road lately.
Heat need to find a way to split the 1st 2 games.
If that happens, my guess is that it goes all 7.

As far as swinging elbows, what year are you going back to?

Still waiting for that meltdown?
It's been 2+ full seasons.

Long list of players who have been ejected over those 2 seasons.
He's not one of them.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m a little shocked that the 76ers are -550 for this game. That’s crazy to me. I get it’s game 1 and the fans are going to be going wild and Philly is on a streak right now (not just the 76ers 16-game winning streak but the Eagles and Nova) but that’s a big line for a team of mostly young players that is missing one of its top 2 players.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like Embiid is definitely out for game 1. That might be the one for the Heat to steal HCA. A roster that is new to the playoffs, probably have a little too much adrenaline going.

If the Heat can take game 1, it may shake the Sixers confidence a bit too.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like Embiid is definitely out for game 1. That might be the one for the Heat to steal HCA. A roster that is new to the playoffs, probably have a little too much adrenaline going.

If the Heat can take game 1, it may shake the Sixers confidence a bit too.

Not for nothing - the 76ers beat the Heat without Embiid earlier this year. Different situation, different vibe, I don’t think Wade was with them then, but it may not be as big of a deal as some may expect. That -550 line has me feeling pretty good about the chances of taking Game 1.