• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers biggest Draft Bust

Who is the biggest 49ers draft bust

• Jim Drunkenmiller QB

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Kentwan Balmer DT

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Taylor Mays S

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Rashawn Woods WR

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • RW McQuarters CB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reggie McGrew DT

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kwame Harris OT

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • JJ Stokes WR

• Other

• Total voters

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless Alex Smith leads us to the playoffs then he's gotta be number 1 regardless of the bad situation he was put in. As of now I'm going Stokes because of the high expections that were put on him that he didn't live up too.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm going to take a slightly different approach. Instead of basing on who had the worst career or who pissed me off the most, I'm going by who hurt the team the most by not meeting expectations.

This eliminates Druckenmiller right away because we transitioned from Young to Garcia and didn't really suffer through bad QB play other than 1999 when Young got injured and Garcia wasn't ready, which likely would have happened with a rookie anyway.

Stokes is off the hook because Rice played at an elite level for another 5 years and we got Owens the following year.

It also eliminates Balmer because we were already horrible when we drafted him, and DL has been a strength the last few years.

My top 3 are McQuarters, Woods and McGrew. McQuarters because we desperately needed some solid CB play and he came up woefully short. McGrew because he was supposed to fill Stubby's shoes and got to play next to BY. The DTs made our defense click back then and with McGrew blowing chunks they couldn't. Woods because he was supposed to fill TO's shoes. We lost both starting WRs that year (TO and Streets) and we got nothing out of Woods.

Based on this, I would have to go
1. Woods
2. McQuarters
3. McGrew (at least we still had BY)

Lightyear49er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
took this from a series of articles on top 10 49er draft busts. this writer felt Stokes was No. 2 and can't argue. but posting this cause we long forgot what we gave up for Stokes.

also note, forgotten we had even traded up Jerry Rice?

In 1995, the San Francisco 49ers had the 30th that year but decided to move up to the 10th pick to select UCLA wide receiver J.J. Stokes. The 49ers dealt away their first round pick (No. 30), along with their third (No. 94), one of two fourths (119), and their 1996 first round pick. When the 49ers made the move they compared it to the draft-day trade ten years prior that netted them Jerry Rice. In that deal they gave up their first, second, and third round picks to move up. However, when 49ers fans look at the Stokes deal, it's that future number one that stings. If I recall correctly, that pick ended up becoming Ray Lewis. I realize the pick might have been different for the 49ers in 1996, but it's still worth noting.

This is why I went with Stokes, because of what we gave up to get him vs what we got out of him. Even worse is he was drafted the same spot Crabtree was and they are like college clones! Crabs will be on this list someday. :embarassed:

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to take a slightly different approach. Instead of basing on who had the worst career or who pissed me off the most, I'm going by who hurt the team the most by not meeting expectations.

This eliminates Druckenmiller right away because we transitioned from Young to Garcia and didn't really suffer through bad QB play other than 1999 when Young got injured and Garcia wasn't ready, which likely would have happened with a rookie anyway.

Stokes is off the hook because Rice played at an elite level for another 5 years and we got Owens the following year.

It also eliminates Balmer because we were already horrible when we drafted him, and DL has been a strength the last few years.

My top 3 are McQuarters, Woods and McGrew. McQuarters because we desperately needed some solid CB play and he came up woefully short. McGrew because he was supposed to fill Stubby's shoes and got to play next to BY. The DTs made our defense click back then and with McGrew blowing chunks they couldn't. Woods because he was supposed to fill TO's shoes. We lost both starting WRs that year (TO and Streets) and we got nothing out of Woods.

1. Woods
2. McQuarters

Maybe we shouldn't draft players from OSU. hopefully Hunter can turn things around for my fav. Nfl team drafting players from my fav U.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was so happy when the Niners traded up I was thinking Earl Thomas... and then it was.. Anthony Davis...

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was so happy when the Niners traded up I was thinking Earl Thomas... and then it was.. Anthony Davis...

I would have been furious if they traded up for a fucking safety. Especially if they followed up with a guard.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

1. Woods
2. McQuarters

using this approach, likely have voted for Rumph?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
using this approach, likely have voted for Rumph?

When we drafted Rumph, Plummer was coming off a promising 7 INT season. Rumph wasn't drafted with the intent of being the #1 CB IMO like McQuarters (and Rumph) were.

I have to stick with Woods because we lost both starting WRs a month before we drafted him.

Although Rumph definitely belongs in the discussion. I just forgot about him.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To add to Woods, even though I don't have to, another disappoint coming from him was the fact we kept trading down and down for him....

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
To add to Woods, even though I don't have to, another disappoint coming from him was the fact we kept trading down and down for him....

The board had a fit when we traded down instead of drafting Wilfork.

taughtmepatience

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#1) Mike Rumph. He was plain terrible... Period.
#2) Rashaun Woods. He might have been the worst, but at least we traded down.
#3) Kentwan Balmer. Desean Jackson was right there and we passed for this tool.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wasn't on the board back then, but I literally went from :rockon: to :scared:
every time I saw our name appeared on the clock followed by the trade down announcement....

I think I ended up being :wacko: when it was said and done.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

When did you start calling me "The Board?" :)

freaak

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's got to be Dexter Carter. Spent a first round pick on a return man who did nothing else, and sucked at it!

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wasn't Drunkenmiller stronger than some LBs and faster than some WRs? I can't remember. Woods was out of the league after 2 seasons, I think he went fishing or something.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty soon Alex Smith will top all of those names and Ant Davis will be right there with him.

As far as the current list is concerned, in terms of contributions to the team, I'd probably have to go with Druckenmiller - what, he had a 29.2 % passer rating, and the only TD I remember him throwing was in the Rams game following the SB year.