• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers are having trouble selling tickets

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Location isn't an issue. There's a huge fan base in the south bay. The problem is the team sucks. If the team didn't suck they wouldn't have a problem.

I disagree that location doesnt matter. Yeah, its still in a populated area, but being away from the city center reduces ticket sales to people who go to games on short notice and people who are in town for vacation. And ticket sales like those are huge for losing teams.

@Pattersonca65 is right. They never had this kind of attendance issue when they were playing at the Stick. And that included some very dark years. When they played in SF, anyone in the city could just wake up Sunday morning and take public transportation to a game if they felt like it. And if they were travelling from another area of the bay, they could make a day of it in SF. Now fans that live in SF proper wont make the trip because the commute is a pain, and fans who live in surrounding bay cities wont go through the trouble they may have gone through to see a game in SF because outside of the game there is no other real draws for a day in Santa Clara.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that I'm back in the states, I plan to see some games. Easiest one will be The Patriots at 49ers. Not a horrible drive from here and the Patriots stand a pretty good chance to win.
Tickets should be pretty cheap and readily available......
To bad the Pats vs Seahawks is in NE.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Location isn't an issue. There's a huge fan base in the south bay. The problem is the team sucks. If the team didn't suck they wouldn't have a problem.
Really, it is the owner who sucks who hires a GM who sucks who hires a head coach who sucks, unless that coach is successful and is building a following at which in that case the owner and GM fire the successful head coach so that they can continue to suck.
It's that simple.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Pattersonca65 is right. They never had this kind of attendance issue when they were playing at the Stick. And that included some very dark years. When they played in SF, anyone in the city could just wake up Sunday morning and take public transportation to a game if they felt like it. And if they were travelling from another area of the bay, they could make a day of it in SF. Now fans that live in SF proper wont make the trip because the commute is a pain, and fans who live in surrounding bay cities wont go through the trouble they may have gone through to see a game in SF because outside of the game there is no other real draws for a day in Santa Clara.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, because the place was a complete dump and there's no way they could justify the ticket costs that they're looking for right now. Going to the stick to watch a crappy Giants game worked. If things got boring you could always just throw a bottle at the Crazy Crab. Paying 200+ to watch a shitty 49ers team play doesn't. Fans aren't the problem. Pricing out fans is.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I've renounced my ties to that area because of the bs that goes on down there but listening to you people try to analyze it is boring. The south bay is loaded with 49ers fans. San Jose (you know, the city right next to Santa Clara) has a bigger population than SF. You don't think that the fact that the team was loaded with idiots constantly getting in trouble has something to do with the fact that people don't want to pay the ridiculous price that the 49ers are asking? You can get away with that crap when the team doesn't suck. When it does then people are going to put up the middle finger.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The dumbest thing they could have possibly done was build a stadium in Santa Clara. That is nowhere near San Francisco.

When I lived in the Bay Area, I used to attend a few games at the stick here and there even though I hated the team. The whole experience of going down to the warf grabbing some great street seafood and a few cold ones wrapped in a paper bag was an experience in its own right.

Santa Clara is not a football town by any means. The reason they can't sell tickets these days is because of where the team is located. They had a waiting list for season tickets througH some horrible years when they were at the stick.

They need to start hosing some high end wine tastings or start winning if they want to sell tickets in Sant Clara.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you won't support your team unless it's a playoff contender. You're a typical 49ers fan.

Define support. If your idea of support is paying bloated ticket prices to go to a stadium whose security is piss poor and whose overall fan experience is a C at best for a product that is shit because one man is a fucking imbecile, then FUCK YES, I don't support my team.

I still watch from 450 miles away, I still follow all things Niners, I just refuse to pay money to go to a second rate experience with a team doomed for failure because of an owner's stupidity. You are a Cowboys fan...you of all people should know this.

elw4corps

Go Green, Go White
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So a team in Califorina stinks and the fans aren't buying tickets. This can't possibly shock anyone. It's exactly why no team should have moved to LA. It's not just Cali though, Florida is the same way. Front Runners/Bandwagoners.

dude eat a dick. The stadium sucks if you are sitting on the left hand side of the stadium you are roasting alive in the sun. The stick regularly sold out even during some really dark days, the ticket prices are ridiculous to watch a piss poor product and it is an hour away from San Francisco. You can support your team in multiple ways besides attending games in person otherwise what do you say to a fan who lives on the east coast but is a niner fan.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still can't understand how they let Harbaugh walk.. 49rs fans should be pissed at the ownership... How do you take what's working so well and just say ... @$^#@ it ....

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not buying the change of location of the stadium for a second as an excuse. It's not like they built it out in Santa Cruz or Modesto. If anything, the location is more accessible to the Bay area masses in that location, then it's previous location considering the population base of San Jose and all the money located in that corridor of downtown SF, down to San Mateo, right through silicon valley row.

They were filling the stadium just fine two years ago.

This is about a crappy cheapskate owner, a crappy GM, and fanbase whose way more bandwagon than it used to be. It also doesn't help that they jacked the prices of tickets and seat licenses sky high.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that I'm back in the states, I plan to see some games. Easiest one will be The Patriots at 49ers. Not a horrible drive from here and the Patriots stand a pretty good chance to win.
Tickets should be pretty cheap and readily available......
Where are you in CA?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franchise has delivered 5 SB titles and this little lull has people questioning their allegiance?

This is really a what have you done for me lately fans base on that side of the Bay.

On the flip...the team looks lost in terms of identity right now...the 49ers can't go into '16 w/o some stability at the QB position. I look for them to go QB in the 1st round and start fresh...new HC, new QB...if np trade develops, keep Kaep one more season since the money is guaranteed.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team got gutted and they chased their successful coach out of town. Why would the fans be excited?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree that location doesnt matter. Yeah, its still in a populated area, but being away from the city center reduces ticket sales to people who go to games on short notice and people who are in town for vacation. And ticket sales like those are huge for losing teams.

@Pattersonca65 is right. They never had this kind of attendance issue when they were playing at the Stick. And that included some very dark years. When they played in SF, anyone in the city could just wake up Sunday morning and take public transportation to a game if they felt like it. And if they were travelling from another area of the bay, they could make a day of it in SF. Now fans that live in SF proper wont make the trip because the commute is a pain, and fans who live in surrounding bay cities wont go through the trouble they may have gone through to see a game in SF because outside of the game there is no other real draws for a day in Santa Clara.

I don't have the local angle on this myself, but I have family in the Bay area and he saying the stadium is a factor for a small percentage of the fanbase...but it's not really the problem...the SF city dweller walk up gate fan might not be going to the new venue for some of the reasons you mentioned.

The people plopping down the money for the PSLs can get to the games and according to the article, those are the most disgruntled fans...that kinda tells me, it's the product on the field. Looking at the cost of a PSL...you could buy a small home in GA for the cost of some of those...but, if I were nutty enough to buy it to begin with...I'd stick it out...why sell low?

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So a team in Califorina stinks and the fans aren't buying tickets. This can't possibly shock anyone. It's exactly why no team should have moved to LA. It's not just Cali though, Florida is the same way. Front Runners/Bandwagoners.
Too many other things to do in these places on a nice Sunday in Nov, Dec. I live in Florida, I watch the Eagles every week, but I feel really guilty staying in on such nice days.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking come January first, Levi's stadium is going to be like a home game for the Seahawks.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers fans have always been front runners and won't support a losing team. Rams fans belong in the same category.

Can't possibly put Rams fans in that same category, unless you're only discussing St Louis fans in general. Rams haven't been in front enough in the past 30 years to be front runners.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't possibly put Rams fans in that same category, unless you're only discussing St Louis fans in general. Rams haven't been in front enough in the past 30 years to be front runners.

Speaking of that, I'm curious. What is the attitude of the average St.Louis Ram fan now that the team is in L.A.? Will most still be supporting the Rams, or are most fans so pissed they'll be rooting for KC or some other team?