• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

#4 St. Louis vs. #5 Los Angeles playoff thread

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was trying to put her pic underneath of the one a few pages back. The one where the Blues dude had the disbelief look on his face from the bench. Couldn't get it to work though

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wuhwhat_medium.gif

BJx1PsPCMAE2S77.jpg_large.jpg

Arch City

Exce11ence in Baseball
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont hate being the guy who bitches about the refs. The refs suck both ways.
As far as being down on your team Stop it. Before the Kings added Carter they were right where the Blues are now.
That being said this series is not over. While I hope and believe the Kings can win, I see that the Blues have outplayed the Kings for over half the series. If the Blues win game 6 it might give them the swagger to go far

You're totally right. Jeff Carter may not be Wayne Gretzky or even Luc Robitaille, but he is the difference maker that the Kings needed to put them over the top. I remembered when the Kings acquired him, I wondered why in the hell the Blues didn't make a play for him. Of course, our ownership situation was in flux then, but we've heard that excuse in St. Louis for years now. Thankfully our player development has improved dramatically in recent years to the point where the Blues are now as competitive as they are young. Now I just hope our new ownership group will be more willing to go shopping in the FA market than the previous owners.

I feel like my team must have felt last night- down but not out. I won't give up on these guys, especially not after last night's game. Sure, there were mistakes made, but I saw a lot of fight in the Blues, especially after they found themselves down on the scoreboard early in the game. And yes, this is exactly where the Kings were before Carter ignited the offense. I think the Blues need a sniper and/or playmaker to take them to that next level, but I think they still have gas in the tank and hope for this series and beyond if they can simply play smarter, because they're certainly playing harder than they did against the Kings last year.

By the way, it's a bit uncomfortable for me in this series, because the Kings have always been my second favorite franchise. I had relatives on my mother's and father's sides of the family in Southern California when I grew up, so they used to send me stuff from the LA teams to the point where I had as much LA stuff as I had for the St. Louis teams I grew up watching. I cheered the Kings on in the 1993 Stanley Cup Finals, and I did last year as well. Besides, the Kings' success in the finals proved the Blues' series against them wasn't a fluke or a joke- the Blues played flat but lost to a Kings team that I felt was destined to win the championship after the way they played in that series.

Of course, the Kings' win leave the Blues with the dubious distinction of being the only surviving member of the Class of 1967 to not win the Stanley Cup. But I truly believe it's a matter of time for my team, and for many of the current players. It took years after ex-owner Bill Laurie essentially decimated the team, but now I think there's a solid core of young players in place, and as I said before, I think it may just take one or two proven performers to take this group to the next level. So I think we're in a good place here in St. Louis.

And even though I cannot and will not give up on my home team, I have to admit the Kings' experience is beginning to show, especially in these last couple of games. Good for them. It's been such a close series so far, so win or lose, I'm looking forward to one (hopefully two) great games of hockey in the next few days!

BTW...(1) I just realized I wrote a novel...and (2)...I am a huge Doors fan as well! :suds:

Last edited by a moderator:

Arch City

Exce11ence in Baseball
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can tell I'm still sleep deprived by the way I rambled in my previous post- I was responding to davnlaguna but the last observation I made was intended for Jims_Doors.

BTW, that's defenseman Barret Jackman in that video clip. Well played. Now get that disgusting creature in the photo underneath out of here! :laugh3:

Arch City

Exce11ence in Baseball
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barret Jackman is the man. I was a stay at home physical D man and Brendan Witt and Barrett Jackman have been favorites forever.

It's nice to see someone that understands the value of Barret Jackman. I get aggravated because he's often a target when local fans play the blame game. Sure, he may turn the puck over here and there and take boneheaded penalties at times, which makes him just like every other human that plays hockey, but I can't think of a time when he was consistently a liability to the team. Even in years when his plus/minus rating was down and his penalty minutes were up, he still put up points consistently as a stay-at-home defenseman, so I'm not sure exactly what some of these Blues fans expect out of him.

It's hard to believe he's been here in St. Louis for over a decade now. He may not get his number in the rafters (it was originally Bob Plager's) or even his proper due, but he's still crucial to this team in my opinion.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All Pancakes does is score big playoff goals.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, we can't be sure that 0.2 seconds is really 0.2 seconds as we are at Staples Center afterall.

Arch City

Exce11ence in Baseball
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I hope the Kings fans here are grateful. I'm not taking anything away from Penner by any means, but that was an even bigger gift than the one that Jonathan Quick gave Alexander Steen in overtime of Game 1.

Chris Stewart and his five teammates on the ice were absolutely sleepwalking with time still on the clock. I've never seen anything quite that ridiculous. Penner would have had a tougher time skating through a closed shower curtain than he would have had getting past Stewart, or getting the shot past Elliott for that matter.

What the serious fuck...

Arch City

Exce11ence in Baseball
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And was I seeing things, or did Blues defenseman Roman Polak actually deflect Penner's shot into the net? Doesn't matter- the Blues are determined to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory once again in the playoffs.

I'd like to think they'll prove me wrong in the next 17 minutes, but I won't get my hopes too high.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that was a helluva series.... very fun