• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

#4 St. Louis vs. #5 Los Angeles playoff thread

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@andystrickland: #stlblues and #kings combined for 479 hits in series

Arch City

Exce11ence in Baseball
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that was a helluva series.... very fun

I'll give you that! I really feel like the Blues had more than enough chances to win, as they out-shot and outplayed the Kings at times. But then I felt like the Kings' experience from last year's championship season really began to shine through at just the right moments. It was a hard-fought, entertaining series, and I have to hand it to the Kings right now. And since I never really hated the Kings in the first place, I'm happy for their fans even if I'm drowning my sorrows in a Budweiser right now. :suds:

I'll stick with the Blues, because it's what I've always done. And even though the local forums are predictably filled with a bunch of drunk sore losers at the moment, I think the Blues can actually be proud of making this such a close series, especially since I think the Kings always had an edge, even as they were in a 2-0 hole when they left St. Louis.

My main beef with this game was strictly with my own team. I thought the Blues held their own in the second period. They tied the game early and fought hard, well, for about 19 minutes and 55 seconds. Then Chris Stewart did his best impersonation of a shower curtain, Dustin Penner skated by him and flicked the puck in the direction of the goal, and Brian Elliott was the deer in the headlights. I couldn't believe that the Blues went sleepwalking with time left on the clock and another 20 minutes after that. And even with a few good chances in the third period, they never got their shit together.

Now, my anger turns toward the front office. The Blues are going to save some money now that they've sold the Peoria Rivermen to the Canucks and aligned themselves with the Chicago Wolves. They can save a little more money by getting rid of dead weight like Andy McDonald and Chris Stewart. And then it's time to sign a legitimate sniper and/or playmaker- the likes of which we haven't seen in years.

Again, congrats to the Kings and their fans. It was a hard-fought series, but I don't think the Kings are any worse for the wear. Sit back, enjoy, and wait for the next opponent!

:suds:

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Today was a bonehead day for me... just realized I had tickets for the Kings game tonight... oops. For the best though... I had a sock draw I had to sort out (a little Brian Regan for the kids).

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
St Louis controlled the puck, controlled the zones and contolled the pace of the game. The only thing they didnt control was the score. I think the Kings were out worked for a lot ot the time and got what they needed when they needed. I sont normally say experience wins, skill and hard work usually is what wins, but this series it was experience of finding that extra gear that put the Kings over. Mostly in game 3, which is the only one I thought the Kings out worked the Blues. Oh and Quick didn't hurt the Kings after game two either. He was a main reason they were in most of these games. Next Kings game will be in southern California. Just dont know where

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't tell if the Blues suck or are the 2nd best team in the NHL. They need to stop matching up with the Kings

Arch City

Exce11ence in Baseball
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
St Louis controlled the puck, controlled the zones and contolled the pace of the game. The only thing they didnt control was the score. I think the Kings were out worked for a lot ot the time and got what they needed when they needed. I sont normally say experience wins, skill and hard work usually is what wins, but this series it was experience of finding that extra gear that put the Kings over. Mostly in game 3, which is the only one I thought the Kings out worked the Blues. Oh and Quick didn't hurt the Kings after game two either. He was a main reason they were in most of these games. Next Kings game will be in southern California. Just dont know where

Exactly. That's precisely what the Blues lack- that extra gear. I can think of Blues players like Alexander Steen, Vladimir Sobotka, Jaden Schwartz, etc., that played with a lot of heart. And there's still a solid core in place with other young players like Patrik Berglund, T.J. Oshie, and eventually, Vladimir Tarasenko. But while we're waiting for our younger players to mature, we really need a proven playmaker or sniper more than anything, and a bit more help on defense (although I like the late season addition of Jay Bouwmeester from Calgary for what it's worth).

Meanwhile, the Kings found that extra gear. I knew the Blues weren't going to shut down Carter, Kopitar, Richards, etc. forever. The Blues had a lot of great chances, but the defense limited those chances, or at least the impact of them. And as the series progressed, Jonathan Quick really came into his own once again. He was the star tonight, but looking back at all of the missed opportunities, despite his Game 1 gaffe, I'd say he was the star of the series.

Good luck to the Kings! And I hope the Blues front office gets ready to go shopping soon! :hope:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had to help a guy in a Blues jersey out when I was out at the bars earlier. He was in his early 20s so maybe he doesn't remember all of the loses that I do but he looked pretty devastated.

Arch City

Exce11ence in Baseball
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't tell if the Blues suck or are the 2nd best team in the NHL. They need to stop matching up with the Kings

Haha! Last season, I was inclined to believe the former thought was true. Maybe it's the eternal optimist in me, but now I believe it's the latter.

At least this was a close and hard-fought series, which is more than I can say when the Blues met the Kings last year in the playoffs.

As I said before, I'm actually satisfied with the Blues' core, but now I want to see what ownership is willing to do to move the team to the next level. I am still feeling burned from the years of Bill Laurie's ownership even though Dave Checketts did a lot to right the ship. Now that Tom Stillman heads a new ownership group, I am anxious to see what's next. And I hope it's good because as much as I love the Blues, I'm tired of the excuses I hear every offseason and at the trade deadline whenever I see talented players that would be a good fit for the Blues go elsewhere and do quite well once they reach their next destination.

As for the young chap at the bar, the pain from the frustration and futility one feels after each Blues postseason does dull somewhat eventually. I've dealt with it for over 30 years now. Having a great baseball team that plays just a few blocks away really helps to ease the pain, or at least it does for me! :2cents:

Last edited by a moderator:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Blues played better this year than last in the playoffs. Nothing to be ashamed of. I do feel like they need to match up against the team they can beat and get the experience of winning.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A long offseason begins in St. Louis. It's a who's who on the RFA market. Hey Flyers fans which defenseman will Holmgren go after Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk or BOTH?

Chris Stewart & Berglund RFA's as well. Ownership better have his checkbook open & a pen ready.:D:

Ho_Brah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aside from the first 2 periods of Game 2 and the OT in Game 5, the Kings were pretty much outplayed in this series, at times dominated. Yet they are resilient and opportunistic and composed enough to persevere and, yes, survive. Going down 2-0 to THIS team, after Quick made that disastrous blunder in OT of Game 1? Fuckin A, that is something. I thought if the Blues advanced they would've had a great shot to reach the Finals, and they gave us an incredible test. (and yes, I would've rooted for them too) They are tenacious and physical, I really respect them.

Hopefully this series sharpens us up and gets us ready for the road ahead instead of wearing us out and beating us up too much. They need to elevate their play and apparently cope with Kopi’s nagging injury (knee?) while doing so. The own-zone and neutral-zone turnovers will not make us long for these playoffs, no matter how good Quick plays. They looked gassed so hopefully a few days will do them good. Hell, after playing the Blues any team looks like a better match up.

So this is what a winning culture feels like. Five straight series wins as the road team…GKG

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is the reason why the Blues lost, not enough of her to go around:
Y! SPORTS

Seriously the Kings played a great series good luck in the next round.

sherbert1421

Dead Wings 2.0
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
blues had their chance to win this series in game 4 when they had the lead going into the 3rd period. but once they squandered that opportunity, this series was over.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pretty much exactly right, if Anaheim wins tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Haha... so please don't let me down. Beat Anaheim tomorrow!

(not because I want SJ to face LA... LA/CHI are both tough matchups for them... just because Anaheim is no good and they have no business making it to the conference semis)

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aside from the first 2 periods of Game 2 and the OT in Game 5, the Kings were pretty much outplayed in this series, at times dominated. Yet they are resilient and opportunistic and composed enough to persevere and, yes, survive. Going down 2-0 to THIS team, after Quick made that disastrous blunder in OT of Game 1? Fuckin A, that is something. I thought if the Blues advanced they would've had a great shot to reach the Finals, and they gave us an incredible test. (and yes, I would've rooted for them too) They are tenacious and physical, I really respect them.

Hopefully this series sharpens us up and gets us ready for the road ahead instead of wearing us out and beating us up too much. They need to elevate their play and apparently cope with Kopi’s nagging injury (knee?) while doing so. The own-zone and neutral-zone turnovers will not make us long for these playoffs, no matter how good Quick plays. They looked gassed so hopefully a few days will do them good. Hell, after playing the Blues any team looks like a better match up.

So this is what a winning culture feels like. Five straight series wins as the road team…GKG

Welcome to the club...