• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: #<23 OREGON DUCKS vs Nebraska Cornhuskers 3:30 PM EST ABC

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, some fans are getting nervous about the streak coming to an end and it is becoming more and more difficult to sell all of the tickets in Lincoln for all of the reasons mentioned above. However if Nebraska can become relevant again, stay relevant and play meaningful games each year, it will go a long way to help the sell-out streak.

The B1G has done Nebraska fans no favors with it's home schedule this year though with games against Illinois, Purdue, Maryland and Minnesota.
Yeah, I read that as well that it took over a week to sell out this year vs hours last year and the downturn certainly has some impact on that. Hope they do keep that up because it's a special record.

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is also illegal in the state of Nebraska to schedule weddings on Saturdays in the fall

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tradition and Fan Base .... that's why. Same reason why all the Blue Blood programs fill their stadiums each and every game despite current team record.

You know what happens in down years? Tickets get cheaper and people who never got a chance to go to a game finally get to go, which for many is an actual dream in life. Same result ... seats still filled.

THIS. Every person I know would go to every single game if they could afford it. It's about on the level of getting a Green Bay Packers home game ticket.

I don't think Nebraska has a big enough population to support an NFL team AND keep the streak alive though.

Lincoln and Omaha combined make up the bulk of the population in Nebraska and then asking the rest of the state to travel down for a Saturday game and follow up on Sunday or Monday or have Thursday games for both the college and pro teams would be a huge strain. I could definitely see an NBA team thriving in Omaha though.

I don't think there's a need or desire for a pro team here and I really don't think we'd ever field a decent one. College Football is the best sport in the world, and we do college football game days as good as anyone in the country, so I'm content with that.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The computer @ work isn't acting right & I can't post anything but if anyone wants a great laugh I found this article on sbnation.com: The Oregon Ducks are out here dressing up like actual ducks now.

The short video is hilarious.

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, if it didn't matter then show me any other blue blood that has 300+ consecutive sellouts. You can't because it does matter.

If a stadium has 101,000 seats and consistently has an attendance of 105,000. They have a bad year and are only bringing in 98,000-100,000 in attendance that year. Are they sell outs? No. Are they still filling the stadium? Yes.

So again, I'm not talking specifically about a "sellout streak". I'm talking in general. In general, Blue Blood programs have and will continue to fill their stadiums. Regardless of how many pro teams are in-state.

This has literally been proven time over time.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree. Not in down years. If your program goes in the toilet you don't typically get the same butts in the stands no matter what history you have. Frustrated fans just don't come out. When you have other options for your sports spending and other distractions it fully does add to the likelihood you at least pass up on some podunk non conference game against a nobody. That has literally been proven time over time.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is also illegal in the state of Nebraska to schedule weddings on Saturdays in the fall

Yeah I don't care who you are, I'm not coming. The people who DO show up are just going to be giving the side eye to the bride and groom the whole time, and everyone's gonna be on their phone or next to the closest TV. You just don't do it.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree. Not in down years. If your program goes in the toilet you don't typically get the same butts in the stands no matter what history you have. Frustrated fans just don't come out. When you have other options for your sports spending and other distractions it fully does add to the likelihood you at least pass up on some podunk non conference game against a nobody. That has literally been proven time over time.

All I know is we showed up for every game in Callahan's last year, and a lot of those games were over in the first quarter.

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I know is that if you look at the NCAA's attendance statistics ...

You see the SAME Blue Blood programs at the top of the list EVERY year ... regardless of current football prowess. Even Penn State was filling their stadium during the Sandusky/Paterno Saga. And they have plenty of pro sports in PA as well as another P5 program in Pitt.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets face it, there is no way to prove it one way or the other and I'm not in any way disrespecting your fans brasky. Some of the greatest fans in college sports. That streak is cool, I just think more options around and it wouldn't be what it is today. I mean that thing goes back to like Kennedy and shit. No one else does that, blue blood or not. They ALL have breaks in their streaks over that time. It's awesome. But I still say it would be different if there was more options.

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell even Nebraska baseball had the 12th highest attendance last year behind schools like LSU, South Carolina, Clemson and Florida St.

And Nebraska baseball has been mediocre for a decade, yet people still come out.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just take it for what it is. Only show in town and we do it right.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other sports don't compete? I hate to tell you but I'm not rich enough to do both so I choose college football and I know many that go the other way. Season tickets are quite expensive even for college games. Maybe in your world you can afford to go to both, but a pro team very much has impact on going to games.

Again, if it didn't matter then show me any other blue blood that has 300+ consecutive sellouts. You can't because it does matter.
This.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tradition and Fan Base .... that's why. Same reason why all the Blue Blood programs fill their stadiums each and every game despite current team record.

You know what happens in down years? Tickets get cheaper and people who never got a chance to go to a game finally get to go, which for many is an actual dream in life. Same result ... seats still filled.

THIS. Every person I know would go to every single game if they could afford it. It's about on the level of getting a Green Bay Packers home game ticket.

I don't think Nebraska has a big enough population to support an NFL team AND keep the streak alive though.

Lincoln and Omaha combined make up the bulk of the population in Nebraska and then asking the rest of the state to travel down for a Saturday game and follow up on Sunday or Monday or have Thursday games for both the college and pro teams would be a huge strain. I could definitely see an NBA team thriving in Omaha though.

I don't think there's a need or desire for a pro team here and I really don't think we'd ever field a decent one. College Football is the best sport in the world, and we do college football game days as good as anyone in the country, so I'm content with that.

Wasn't Michigan giving away tickets with the purchase of a liter of coke a few years ago?

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God 2012, we were probably up 59-10 to some team. Look at that, Duck faithful having a blast. We really tore shit up.
Okay. So that eliminates the national championship game obviously.