• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: #<23 OREGON DUCKS vs Nebraska Cornhuskers 3:30 PM EST ABC

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lincoln is not even close to as big as Seattle. You're talking apples and oranges. It's just that when people say "oh there's nothing to do there"

There's plenty to do, but the valid point is that it's one of the only states to have one major college football program with no competing state school. But that's what makes it special. The whole state is all in on it.
And the bigger point was no other major sports competing for attention at the same time in that city. No MLB, MLS, NFL, etc. Not that Eugene has any of that either.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has nothing to do with "entertainment options". When USC was winning ... they were selling out. When Miami was winning ... they were selling out.

Nebraska is just one of those historical powers with a lot of passionate fans. You could put their stadium in the middle of Disney World and they would sell out.
Key words there 'When they were winning". Even huge markets will sell out when they are winning. Nebraska doesn't get to 350 without also selling out when they AREN'T winning and that has at least something to do with other options as well as rabid fans.

Look, I've given lots of props to Neb fans. I love the energy they bring. Wish our fans would stand up and cheer the other team as they leave the field, but there's not much chance of that ever happening. It's not a slam to point out that there isn't anywhere else for a sports fan to go outside of those games in that market.

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the
Key words there 'When they were winning". Even huge markets will sell out when they are winning. Nebraska doesn't get to 350 without also selling out when they AREN'T winning and that has at least something to do with other options as well as rabid fans.

Look, I've given lots of props to Neb fans. I love the energy they bring. Wish our fans would stand up and cheer the other team as they leave the field, but there's not much chance of that ever happening. It's not a slam to point out that there isn't anywhere else for a sports fan to go outside of those games in that market.

Let me ask you this. Let's say tomorrow Nebraska gets a MLB team ... a NFL team ... a couple of world famous amusement parks.

Do you think they no longer sell out their stadium?

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did the OP kill himself?

No, probably just out LARPING

giphy.gif

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some people are just incapable of losing with any semblance of class or dignity.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Later he would commit LARP suicide by bean bagging his own face. * @bamabear82 just got excited and put on his teabaggin' britches*
I figured he would be pissed off for anyone doing the bagging but himself.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the

Let me ask you this. Let's say tomorrow Nebraska gets a MLB team ... a NFL team ... a couple of world famous amusement parks.

Do you think they no longer sell out their stadium?
I think if they had a lot more options that it is quite possible that happens when their team goes through a downturn, yes. Maybe lot league games, but lower non conference? Sure. Happens in most major markets so if they became a major market why wouldn't it?

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if they had a lot more options that it is quite possible that happens when their team goes through a downturn, yes. Maybe lot league games, but lower non conference? Sure. Happens in most major markets so if they became a major market why wouldn't it?

Tradition and Fan Base .... that's why. Same reason why all the Blue Blood programs fill their stadiums each and every game despite current team record.

You know what happens in down years? Tickets get cheaper and people who never got a chance to go to a game finally get to go, which for many is an actual dream in life. Same result ... seats still filled.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tradition and Fan Base .... that's why. Same reason why all the Blue Blood programs fill their stadiums each and every game despite current team record.

You know what happens in down years? Tickets get cheaper and people who never got a chance to go to a game finally get to go, which for many is an actual dream in life. Same result ... seats still filled.
So every blue blood in every major market has a streak at least as high as Nebraska then?

Attendance has declined every year in recent times by all of the major conferences. HD tv for almost every game has added to the difficulty with teams increasing prices and other factors adding in.

No, I do not agree with your premise in any way and I'm fine with leaving it at that.

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So every blue blood in every major market has a streak at least as high as Nebraska then?

Attendance has declined every year in recent times by all of the major conferences. HD tv for almost every game has added to the difficulty with teams increasing prices and other factors adding in.

No, I do not agree with your premise in any way and I'm fine with leaving it at that.

I don't really care about the "streak". Frankly "selling out" a stadium actually has a margin for error. Major teams constantly have higher attendance numbers than the actual number of seats.

My point is Blue Blood teams always fill their seats because the fan bases are massive and passionate. It really has nothing to do with there being "other things to do around town". For tens of thousands of people ... even hundreds of thousands of people ... there is NOTHING more important than watching their team play each week.

It could be free prostitute weekend with the world's largest Miss Nude pageant ... die hard fans habits die hard my friend.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really care about the "streak". Frankly "selling out" a stadium actually has a margin for error. Major teams constantly have higher attendance numbers than the actual number of seats.

My point is Blue Blood teams always fill their seats because the fan bases are massive and passionate. It really has nothing to do with there being "other things to do around town". For tens of thousands of people ... even hundreds of thousands of people ... there is NOTHING more important than watching their team play each week.

It could be free prostitute weekend with the world's largest Miss Nude pageant ... die hard fans habits die hard my friend.
It's not just general 'other stuff to do', obviously any populated areas will have entertaining shit to do. It's having professional sports teams, or even other college programs to compete with that would really make a difference.

I don't think that's a bad thing, I've always thought Nebraska's vibe is super cool.

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not just general 'other stuff to do', obviously any populated areas will have entertaining shit to do. It's having professional sports teams, or even other college programs to compete with that would really make a difference.

I don't think that's a bad thing, I've always thought Nebraska's vibe is super cool.

Professional sports don't really interfere with Saturday college football games though ...
Other college programs? Meh ... maybe. It would have to be another big-time program, which is rare in college football and in the places where it isn't ... hasn't really proven to effect attendance.

USC ... UCLA. Alabama ... Auburn. Michigan .... MSU.

I guess we're just gonna disagree with this one meng.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other sports don't compete? I hate to tell you but I'm not rich enough to do both so I choose college football and I know many that go the other way. Season tickets are quite expensive even for college games. Maybe in your world you can afford to go to both, but a pro team very much has impact on going to games.

Again, if it didn't matter then show me any other blue blood that has 300+ consecutive sellouts. You can't because it does matter.

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, some fans are getting nervous about the streak coming to an end and it is becoming more and more difficult to sell all of the tickets in Lincoln for all of the reasons mentioned above. However if Nebraska can become relevant again, stay relevant and play meaningful games each year, it will go a long way to help the sell-out streak.

The B1G has done Nebraska fans no favors with it's home schedule this year though with games against Illinois, Purdue, Maryland and Minnesota.