• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Off Season Thread

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least one coach is officially out of the recycle/rinse/repeat club.

hell of a career and he came so close for us. and has given the canucks the best gif ever

BlcSo8.gif

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to think small market Canadian teams (and yes I include Calgary even though it's home to over 1 million people) should stop drafting and acquiring American players.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to think small market Canadian teams (and yes I include Calgary even though it's home to over 1 million people) should stop drafting and acquiring American players.
Sens current captain is American. Same with Batherson and Norris and they both signed long-term.

Winnipeg also just spent years with a stud goalie who's America, their best forward is also American and he signed long-term too.

I'm more convinced than ever that Calgary's issues are at least 70% the arena.

Ottawa made an all-in move that's usually made by Cup contenders when they were barely playoff contenders and it backfired. Not much more to it than that here.

Zwalt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,173.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it for Detroit. Contract is definitely manageable. Hurts giving up a first but they get to choose which one.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He looks like if Rip Taylor and Ronald McDonald had a kid. :D

Wow his dad is former cuban pro soccer player eddie sebrango. Eddie wasnt the darkest skinned guy but looks like his kid did the Sammy Sosa skin treatment !

/
Darren Pang likes this

E949FC90-25BF-4E9C-BAB4-2813CDB83E49.jpeg

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Leafs are kinda screwed here. They can keep him for one more season then lose him for nothing. Or, they can try and trade him. But what will they get? Doubtful any team will pay him 10, so what would another team offer the Leafs for a one year rental? Teams most likely to give him the $$$ he wants will probably be on his 10-team NTC.

Doubt the Leafs get as much as OTT got from DET for DeBrincat. So you do you trade him for middling prospect and/or middling draft picks, or just keep him and get the last drop out of him this year.

Maybe they do the latter. Or maybe they trade him to Vegas who will have the Stone LTIR money to play with and watch Willy hoist the Cup next June.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leafs are kinda screwed here. They can keep him for one more season then lose him for nothing. Or, they can try and trade him. But what will they get? Doubtful any team will pay him 10, so what would another team offer the Leafs for a one year rental? Teams most likely to give him the $$$ he wants will probably be on his 10-team NTC.

Doubt the Leafs get as much as OTT got from DET for DeBrincat. So you do you trade him for middling prospect and/or middling draft picks, or just keep him and get the last drop out of him this year.

Maybe they do the latter. Or maybe they trade him to Vegas who will have the Stone LTIR money to play with and watch Willy hoist the Cup next June.
They get at least a first round pick and cap space. Take a flyer on Tarasenko or see if Kane’s interested in spending a year on Auston’s wing once he’s recovered. Then you wait to see how the season unfolds and who becomes miserable and wants out elsewhere and you have the assets needed to strike.

This is what smart teams do. If the Leafs were defending champs looking to repeat or even make a second or third trip to the ECF is one thing but a team mired in consistent failure continuing to keep high profile pending UFA’s instead of cashing in is just plain stupid. They have no reason to lose Nylander for nothing here.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They get at least a first round pick and cap space.

If that offer is out there, Treliving should take it. Not so sure it is. Needs a team with all of (a) cap space (b) a 1st round pick and (c) close enough to winning this year that they think its worth it.

(looking to see how much space the Pens have lol)

At the trade deadline, maybe that kind of deal works. But apparently the Leafs arent cap compliant yet and even with LTIR need to shed around $3.2M per CapFriendly. Seems like they are forced into doing something before the start of the year. Then they have $3.7M of cap space left if Willy goes out now.

Fascinating to see what happens.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that offer is out there, Treliving should take it. Not so sure it is. Needs a team with all of (a) cap space (b) a 1st round pick and (c) close enough to winning this year that they think its worth it.

(looking to see how much space the Pens have lol)

At the trade deadline, maybe that kind of deal works. But apparently the Leafs arent cap compliant yet and even with LTIR need to shed around $3.2M per CapFriendly. Seems like they are forced into doing something before the start of the year. Then they have $3.7M of cap space left if Willy goes out now.

Fascinating to see what happens.
If Nylander is better than DeBrincat (I believe he is, and he is coming off a career year whereas DeBrincat is coming off a down year) and DeBrincat can fetch a first from a team that isn’t even close to contention (although they had the extra first rounder to play with) I don’t see why Nylander can’t.

People who expect some monster package for him are off base but the idea the Leafs can’t cash in a pick on a 40 goal /80 pt scorer doesn’t hold water to me.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Nylander is better than DeBrincat (I believe he is, and he is coming off a career year whereas DeBrincat is coming off a down year) and DeBrincat can fetch a first from a team that isn’t even close to contention (although they had the extra first rounder to play with) I don’t see why Nylander can’t.

People who expect some monster package for him are off base but the idea the Leafs can’t cash in a pick on a 40 goal /80 pt scorer doesn’t hold water to me.
Nylander should easily fetch the same. Honestly I think the Wings fleeced the Senators with the players involved.