• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Roster Expectations

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Twins officially clinched the 2nd Wild Card, being the first team to go from 100+ losses to a playoff appearance the next year. Looking over their roster, there is a lot of young guys. Currently, they have 10 guys on their 40 man (plus one more on the 60 day) who is 30 or older. Compare that to the 25 and younger crowd, 16 players. In contrast, the Giants have 13 guys 30 or older (plus 1 on the 60) and 12 players 25 or younger. The difference may not feel that big but consider the two rosters on the 30 plus side. Only 3 of Minnesota's starting 9 are 30 or older. It was the same last year. The Giants lineup regularly consists of 5 to 6 guys in their 30s. Currently configured, a lineup of Posey, Belt, Panik, Crawford, Sandoval, Span, Hernandez and Pence would make for 7 of the 8 regulars in their 30s. I think the similarities between the 2016 Twins and 2017 Giants ends at the numbers of losses. The Giants, even if they would play some of the younger guys like Arroyo, Williamson and Parker more often, won't be nearly as young or talented as the Twins' lineup.

And the Twins don't even have Sano right now.

Also, the Giants don't have anyone close to Buxton on the mend.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Bruce Bochy is definitely coming back next year and plans to do so in 2019 but that could change - Bochy on future: This is 'certainly not the way I want to go out'.
Meanwhile, Hundley's return is more vague - Can the Giants keep Nick Hundley after catcher’s strong season?. These lines are the highlight, for me:
Reporters have tried for weeks to pick Hundley’s brain about his satisfaction with his playing time and role, which could be a significant factor in his free-agent decision-making.

Hundley invariably responds coyly, with some variation of “come talk to me on the last day of the season.”

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the Giants are in the mix for that Japanese phenom pitcher Otani. Be nice to add him and deal Samardjiza (for something) or Moore (to get him off the books)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the Giants are in the mix for that Japanese phenom pitcher Otani. Be nice to add him and deal Samardjiza (for something) or Moore (to get him off the books)
I have seen the Giants linked to him, I just don’t see how a 2-way player would work. Also, would they be willing to go for the 8pM posting fee that it would require? The posting fee counts towards the tax, doesn’t it?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen the Giants linked to him, I just don’t see how a 2-way player would work. Also, would they be willing to go for the 8pM posting fee that it would require? The posting fee counts towards the tax, doesn’t it?

I'm pretty sure posting fees have been thrown out the window. He's treated as an amateur international free agent, same as free agents out of Latin America.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He'd be a huge get. Probably better suited for the AL, but he can be placed in the OF in the NL. He's definitely at the top of my wishlist.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure posting fees have been thrown out the window. He's treated as an amateur international free agent, same as free agents out of Latin America.
I a man almost certain that he is a posting-eligible player, but assuming you are right and he is just an international FA, than we are certainly out of it because of Fox. We are cleared of that penalty until this coming July.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'd be a huge get. Probably better suited for the AL, but he can be placed in the OF in the NL. He's definitely at the top of my wishlist.

And also bat for himself in the NL

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I a man almost certain that he is a posting-eligible player, but assuming you are right and he is just an international FA, than we are certainly out of it because of Fox. We are cleared of that penalty until this coming July.

This has been a big discussion point. Since he is under 25 years old, if he comes over now he will fall under the IFA rules. If he waits 2 years, he will be subject to the posting system. Teams were unsure when he would come over because basically he has to decide to come over in his prime but leave hundreds of millions on the table, or wait 2 years. But recent indications show he really doesn't care much about the money and he's going to come over this offseason.

So yes the Giants can only offer up to $300K until next July, but it is believed it will not be an issue. The kid just wants to play. He's confident that he'll preform and make that money in his next contract.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why would he want to come to the Giants? They are not a contender. I can see him going to the Cubs, Yankees or Red Sox. I refuse to believe he will go Tom the dogs. I just won’t do it.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And also bat for himself in the NL

Well the idea is that he would DH in the AL, then pitch every 5th day, and it would be more appealing than playing the OF every day, and learning everything that comes with it.

Remember Hunter Green? The 2-way superstar drafted this year? He said he's already dropped playing shortstop because he saw how much time it takes going into playing both positions and doesn't think he could possibly have enough time for both.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why would he want to come to the Giants? They are not a contender. I can see him going to the Cubs, Yankees or Red Sox. I refuse to believe he will go Tom the dogs. I just won’t do it.

Because he's 23 years old and plans to be in the States long term. He'll go where there's an opportunity to be a two-way player. The Giants have expressed their interest in him as a two-way player.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because he's 23 years old and plans to be in the States long term. He'll go where there's an opportunity to be a two-way player. The Giants have expressed their interest in him as a two-way player.
If you ignore Bochy’s comments, sure...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you ignore Bochy’s comments, sure...

Bochy back tracked on those comments, I'm sure at the behest of the front office.

He initially said that he didn't believe he would be a two-way player. A few days later he said that he hadn't seen film on him, but once he did he "would love to have him". I doubt Boch saw film and was probably "lying" somewhat thank to the Giants' brass cluing him in.

Bellinger blasts Giants, Dodgers clinch NL West

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Inherently, all AL teams have an advantage over NL teams because of the DH.

My guess is that Otani is headed to the Angels. But the Giants will definitely be in the running.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Inherently, all AL teams have an advantage over NL teams because of the DH.

My guess is that Otani is headed to the Angels. But the Giants will definitely be in the running.
My guess is that they will finish second.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cueto indicates he won't opt out of Giants deal

And in other news, the world is round.

Then there is this: Padres vs. Giants - Game Recap - October 1, 2017 - ESPN

Said Bochy: "For (Sandoval) to hit a home run, to walk it off, I know that's special for him and it was cool to see because he's done a nice job since coming here."

Well, .220/.265/.357 doesn't exactly say nice job, but you keep deluding yourself into thinking that Boch.

And there was this from Sandoval: "I want to be here for the rest of my career. I want to be like Cain." Hmm, I could be wrong but I think that stint in Boston will prevent that from happening.

Last edited:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Said Bochy: "For (Sandoval) to hit a home run, to walk it off, I know that's special for him and it was cool to see because he's done a nice job since coming here."

Well, .220/.265/.357 doesn't exactly say nice job, but you keep deluding yourself into thinking that Boch.

And there was this from Sandoval: "I want to be here for the rest of my career. I want to be like Cain." Hmm, I could be wrong but I think that stint in Boston will prevent that from happening.

Not according to Kyrie Irving it isn't.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In the last two weeks, Panda is 15/39 (.385) with 5 doubles, two homers, 12 RBI, one walk (naturally). He raised his average from .191 to .220, not easy to do late in the year.

So last impressions will be first impressions. Still, he'd better perform at a high level during ST to stay on the team.