• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Roster Expectations

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the last two weeks, Panda is 15/39 (.385) with 5 doubles, two homers, 12 RBI, one walk (naturally). He raised his average from .191 to .220, not easy to do late in the year.

So last impressions will be first impressions. Still, he'd better perform at a high level during ST to stay on the team.
I understand that he did well his last two weeks but Bochy has been saying that before the last two weeks, so I find it hard to take Bochy seriously on this one.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am somewhat OK with him coming to ST. My problem is that he will be taking up a 40 spot in the meantime. That means someone else will need to either be DFA’d or left off the 40 and exposed to the rule V draft.

For all the Giants have done for him and all he has done TO them, he should allow them to not pick up his option, then immediately sign a minor league contract. Dude still has lots of left over crow in the fridge that needs eating. A gesture like that would not cost him a dime. It would only allow the Giants to have more flexibility.

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the last two weeks, Panda is 15/39 (.385) with 5 doubles, two homers, 12 RBI, one walk (naturally). He raised his average from .191 to .220, not easy to do late in the year.

So last impressions will be first impressions. Still, he'd better perform at a high level during ST to stay on the team.

It may not be much, but I'd kind of like him to be off the roster coming into spring training because I'd like to see what kind of shape he comes in. Is he going to FINALLY take conditioning into SOME consideration and come in kinda svelte (meaning svelte by HIS standards!), or does he eat his ass off again during the winter and come in big enough to create his own gravity field? If he understands his future tenure with the Giants and perhaps his career is on the line, you'd think he'd push himself away from the dining table more than he has in the past.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am somewhat OK with him coming to ST. My problem is that he will be taking up a 40 spot in the meantime. That means someone else will need to either be DFA’d or left off the 40 and exposed to the rule V draft.

For all the Giants have done for him and all he has done TO them, he should allow them to not pick up his option, then immediately sign a minor league contract. Dude still has lots of left over crow in the fridge that needs eating. A gesture like that would not cost him a dime. It would only allow the Giants to have more flexibility.

It may not be much, but I'd kind of like him to be off the roster coming into spring training because I'd like to see what kind of shape he comes in. Is he going to FINALLY take conditioning into SOME consideration and come in kinda svelte (meaning svelte by HIS standards!), or does he eat his ass off again during the winter and come in big enough to create his own gravity field? If he understands his future tenure with the Giants and perhaps his career is on the line, you'd think he'd push himself away from the dining table more than he has in the past.
Unfortunately, it does seem like Sandoval needs motivation to keep himself in game shape. I don't think him being on the 40 man roster creates any need for motivation. Not sure why the Giants are trying so hard to cater to him. I really doubt some other organization is going to come in and swoop him up if the Giants take him off the 40 man roster. But, then again, the Giants have been doing some odd things with 40 man roster management so this shouldn't be too surprising.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The State of the Team presser will be today at 11AM, FYI...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen the Giants linked to him, I just don’t see how a 2-way player would work. Also, would they be willing to go for the 8pM posting fee that it would require? The posting fee counts towards the tax, doesn’t it?

I can't answer whether the posting fee counts towards the tax, but I found out that he will require a posting fee. Once the posting fee is paid, he falls under the International Bonus rules.

(Heard it could be $20M?)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't answer whether the posting fee counts towards the tax, but I found out that he will require a posting fee. Once the posting fee is paid, he falls under the International Bonus rules.

(Heard it could be $20M?)
Since the Giants are still restricted, could he rule us out at the beginning?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you mean? The Giants aren't restricted from paying the posting fee if that's what you mean.
Maybe I misunderstood what you said...

The Giants are unrestricted in the amount they can “post” (outside of any potential tax considerations).

But the contract they agree to with the player is subject to any restrictions they have due to signing Fox.

Did I misunderstand?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I misunderstood what you said...

The Giants are unrestricted in the amount they can “post” (outside of any potential tax considerations).

But the contract they agree to with the player is subject to any restrictions they have due to signing Fox.

Did I misunderstand?

Short answer: any team can pay the posting fee, but some are limited in negotiations if awarded the rights.

Long answer:
Yeah so teams can bid whatever they want for the right to negotiate with a player. If the Japanese team puts up a $15M posting fee (can't exceed $20M), all teams can secretly bid however much they want for the rights. Whoever is the highest bidder has the rights, which can be multiple teams. The teams are then free negotiate under the policies of the Amateur International Signing Rules. If the player signs, the Japanese team gets whatever the team bid. That's why I'm not sure it counts against the payroll.

So it's expected that a player of Otani's caliber is going to be posted at the max of $20M, and any team is able to bid however much they want (up to $20M) on that. Say only 5 teams bid $20M, the Giants, Dodgers, Yankees, Indians and Brewers. Those 5 teams are then able to talk to Otani. The Giants and Dodgers are still under restrictions and can only offer him a $300K bonus. The Yankees aren't under and restrictions, so they can offer $4.75M, and up to $8.3M if they trade for space (a new wrinkle). The Indians can offer $5.25M, and up to $9.2M with trades. The Brewers can offer $5.75M and up to $10M with trades.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just realized this could create some unintended consequences. Otani has expressed his desire to play in MLB while not worrying about the money, but what if another Japanese player is concerned about the money?

Say his posting fee is pretty high and most teams aren't willing to pay it, but what if the Giants swooped in with the highest bid, knowing they can only offer $300K? The player would probably decide to stay in Japan because there is really nothing to negotiate money wise, and the Giants wouldn't have to pay the posting fee, essentially "blocking" other teams from signing him. There's really no harm in bidding high, unless I'm overlooking something.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just realized this could create some unintended consequences. Otani has expressed his desire to play in MLB while not worrying about the money, but what if another Japanese player is concerned about the money?

Say his posting fee is pretty high and most teams aren't willing to pay it, but what if the Giants swooped in with the highest bid, knowing they can only offer $300K? The player would probably decide to stay in Japan because there is really nothing to negotiate money wise, and the Giants wouldn't have to pay the posting fee, essentially "blocking" other teams from signing him. There's really no harm in bidding high, unless I'm overlooking something.
These situations are one of the many reasons caps don’t work so well in baseball, and why a draft-like system needs to exist for the international market.

I have posed in the past an idea for eliminating the draft all together....

Eliminate “picks” and only grant teams their pool, to be used however they like. This year, the Tigers and Giants would have, say, 11M each to spend on armatures while the Dodgers would have 4M to spend (what ever the numbers actually end up being). No going over the amount. It is a hard cap, although the first $X of every contract is exempt so that a team could sign as many fillers as they like without effecting their pool.

Either drop international players in this group, or create a separate pool.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

images

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True story...

When I first saw a pic of this guy, he was sitting in a chair on a stage. I was certain he was there as some kind of make-a-wish event...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These situations are one of the many reasons caps don’t work so well in baseball, and why a draft-like system needs to exist for the international market.

I have posed in the past an idea for eliminating the draft all together....

Eliminate “picks” and only grant teams their pool, to be used however they like. This year, the Tigers and Giants would have, say, 11M each to spend on armatures while the Dodgers would have 4M to spend (what ever the numbers actually end up being). No going over the amount. It is a hard cap, although the first $X of every contract is exempt so that a team could sign as many fillers as they like without effecting their pool.

Either drop international players in this group, or create a separate pool.

Are you proposing that they flip the draft rules with the International Signing rules? Because your proposal is basically, at it's core, what the international signing rules are.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True story...

When I first saw a pic of this guy, he was sitting in a chair on a stage. I was certain he was there as some kind of make-a-wish event...
I have no idea who he is. I just picked that because it was a meme for the message I wanted but was different than all the Jim Carrey versions.