• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Roster Expectations

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Updated for the Longoria trade...

Bumgarner
Cueto
Samardzija
Stratton
Gregorio

Melancon
Dyson
Smith
Law
Blach
Fernandez
Strickland
Gearin

Posey
Hundley

Belt
Panik
Crawford
Longoria
Sandoval
Tomlinson

Duggar
Pence
Parker
Williamson

I think there still needs to be some work done on the OF. Slater deserves a spot, and I think that one of, if not both of McParker will be traded/booted. Gorkys also may currently have squatters rights (we need 2 CFers on the roster anyway, and Parker doesn’t cut it)

Blach done as a starter?

Gregorio didn't exactly light up AAA.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way the tear down happens now with Longoria on board. Trading Belt right now makes no sense. His stock has never been lower than it isn’t right now.
Just trying to figure out how they continue to justify Sandoval on the roster. You know they won't just let him go, at least not before spring training.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blach done as a starter?

Gregorio didn't exactly light up AAA.
Gregorio is a legit prospect who has no options left.

Blach has always been slated more as a swing/#6, and he lost his #5 slot to Stratton last year anyway. And the Giants need another lefty in the pen. Preferably one who can go 2+.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just trying to figure out how they continue to justify Sandoval on the roster. You know they won't just let him go, at least not before spring training.
No reason to boot him right now. The 40-Man is only at 39, so we have flexibility.

He MAY get traded, but I don’t see any team giving anything more than a LOW minors lottery ticket for him. And I would even be surprised by that.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basic lineup...

Duggar CF
Panik 2B
Posey C
Longoria 3B
Belt 1B
McParker RF
Pence LF
Crawford SS
Pitcher

Does Pence stay in right, or is he moved to left in favor of McParker?

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basic lineup...

Duggar CF
Panik 2B
Posey C
Longoria 3B
Belt 1B
McParker RF
Pence LF
Crawford SS
Pitcher

Does Pence stay in right, or is he moved to left in favor of McParker?
The way I see it, until the Giants acquire another outfielder (and that seems almost inevitable at this point), the outfield is going to have 5 players and I expect a lot of platooning. This would possible change, depending on the outfielder(s) acquired and the number of outfielders acquired.

And the more I think about the Longoria trade, the more puzzling it is. Longoria's contract is large for the type of production he provides. He's a good defensive fielder (which checks off one of the FO's original boxes) but his hitting has gone south. His contract is basically a "thanks for what you've done in Tampa" deal, which is great for Tampa but does no favors for the Giants. Even with Span's salary off the books, 2018's salaries project out to $183 million (just to cover the 25 man roster). It will be interesting to see who they squeeze in with that $14 million.

*Roster Resource has $187 listed for 2018, which may mean that they are counting the full 40 man roster. If that is what counts against the luxury tax threshold, then the Giants have only $10 million max to spend for 2018. If so, more trades may be coming. The minor leagues are going to look bare this year!

Oh, and keep in mind that the only free agents after 2018 will be Nick Hundley and Hunter Pence. Then, after 2019, only Cory Gearrin, Pablo Sandoval, Will Smith and some dude name Madison Bumgarner.

Kendal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jay Bruce wants to come to the Giants. He helps with the Giants' lack of power, but his defense is lacking. I'd pass unless he comes really cheap (not going to happen).
The Giants really need a CF.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jay Bruce wants to come to the Giants. He helps with the Giants' lack of power, but his defense is lacking. I'd pass unless he comes really cheap (not going to happen).
The Giants really need a CF.
I don’t want a “real” CFer. Duggar has been getting RAVE reviews, so I don’t want anything more than a placeholder.

The corners, though...

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All rumors are we are getting Cain for center

Kendal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t want a “real” CFer. Duggar has been getting RAVE reviews, so I don’t want anything more than a placeholder.

The corners, though...
A placeholder is fine. Going into the season with Duggar and Hernandez as our only CFs is not a great plan. Unless they think Slater can play CF...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
eh... more of the same. nothing that will help the team in 2020, which is the earliest we'll be competitive. only bright side is we don't have to watch span in center

i will miss arroyo - at least he brought some energy and hope. but, the f.o. likes aging players and that doesn't appear to be changing anytime soon

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All rumors are we are getting Cain for center
I haven’t heard that one, and I would be surprised. He had a QO, and I HOPE they avoid anyone with a QO.

Lots of rumors about Bruce, though.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They said it on ESPN and on MLB network
:yo:

I don’t look at national stuff. They don’t typically know much about teams that are not spelled Yankees or Red Sox.

I have not seen anything local on him in a few days.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For shins and goggles...

Panik
Posey
Longoria
Bruce
Belt
Pence / McParker
Crawford
Duggar
Pitcher

That actually has some length. But OF defense would be rough, and the DL will be used a LOT.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For shins and goggles...

Panik
Posey
Longoria
Bruce
Belt
Pence / McParker
Crawford
Duggar
Pitcher

That actually has some length. But OF defense would be rough, and the DL will be used a LOT.

you can probably expect a lot of injury missed games due to with that line-up. regardless of opening day line-up, position players 2-3 slots down will see significant innings.

of all mlb line ups, this maybe one of the least athletic and possibly oldest.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Figured this was coming.

Not a huge fan.... I think I might miss Krook the most, but I may be biased.

As mentioned before, in a vacuum this is a pretty good trade for the Giants. Given the current situation though..... eh?

If I was a betting man, I'd say the next move would be trading for McCutchen.