• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Roster Expectations

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just bite the bullet and start the re-build. there is no savior on the horizon, so stop wasting time, and shed the contracts who will not be on the upswing of their career in 2-3 yrs. as i've said before - the quickest way to stock the system is to trade some of the untouchables for prospects.

personally i'd rather see us suck with a few newbie's at 3rd, in the outfield, and on the mound then to go through a season of sandoval, pence, and span and still suck. sure it may be like spring training for the entire season, but at least there's the potential of a gem. we know where we'll be with the current roster.

regardless of the 'attendance' numbers, turnstile numbers are down and trotting out re-treads out there will not put butts in the seats. the future is youth and until we find it we'll be fighting to keep out of the cellar

the only draws i can honestly remember in recent past were barry, timmy, and panda (in his prime). fans love posey, panik, crawford, and bum --- but i don't think any of them are compelling fans to come to the stadium (with the exception of playoff madbum) with enthusiasm.

giants management needs to convince us they have a plan to compete with the rosters of the astros, yankees, dodgers, etc. so far i've seen nothing approaching a coherent strategy. every year we stay in the current mode is another year wasted and another year where assets are devalued

Just out of curiosity, how many games a year do you usually get to?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants linked to Moustakas and Frazier.

I would be somewhat OK with Frazier since he should not come with a horrible contract and no compensation. Moose would cost a shit-ton and would cost 1M in international $$ as well as our 2nd and 5th picks.

Of course the Giants don’t care about international $$, so maybe we shouldn’t care about losing it...

Moose might be the worst move they could possibly make. LH power bats not named Bonds do NOT tend to do well at AT&T.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to walk back from that one. When THE guy in the org specifically says he does not want a player, it would be awkward when that player ends up on the team.

.....the other players who rejected qualifying offers last month were Eric Hosmer, Jake Arrieta, Wade Davis, Alex Cobb, Greg Holland, Lance Lynn and Carlos Santana.

Carlos is one of my favorite guitarists of all time... we still see him maybe once per year. solid pick-up for the g-men if only to perform some epic national anthems :)

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.....the other players who rejected qualifying offers last month were Eric Hosmer, Jake Arrieta, Wade Davis, Alex Cobb, Greg Holland, Lance Lynn and Carlos Santana.

Carlos is one of my favorite guitarists of all time... we still see him maybe once per year. solid pick-up for the g-men if only to perform some epic national anthems :)

I'm pretty sure Santana has already done a few anthems in AT&T and didn't ask for a 2nd and 5th round pick as compensation, to the best of my knowledge.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Giants' defensive priorities have changed. Also, @SFGRTB, it looks more likely that Jarrod Dyson will be signed since the Giants don't want to block Duggar.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a follow up to my last post, Schulman also wrote an article where he suggests that the Giants will look for a stop-gap to fill in at center while Duggar continues his development:
Giants rethink center-field options after Duggar’s Fall League performance
However, there are also rumors the Giants are in hot pursuit of Marcell Ozuna and Billy Hamilton:
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sp...sly-discussing-billy-hamilton-swap/945495001/
While Ozuna could be inserted in left or right field, Hamilton makes little sense if they want Duggar patrolling center in a year or two. I just think there's going to be a lot of noise this offseason about the Giants inserted in every outfielder that breathes and is available until they actually acquire someone and the 2018 season begins.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great. No rebuild, no high upside high risk moves, just cost conscious mediocrity as far as the eye can see
tenor.gif

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great. No rebuild, no high upside high risk moves, just cost conscious mediocrity as far as the eye can see

What is Michael Tucker up to these days?

I hate to break it to you, but Tucker's only full year with the Giants was better than many, many OFs that played after him (OPS: .765, OPS+:97) Better than Linden, Ellison, Finley, Dave Roberts, Rajai Davis, Rowand, Fred Lewis, ...

And although they didn't stick with the club for that long, who can forget Jose Guillen or John Bowker?

Normally I'd put Schierholtz in the list because of his offensive shortcomings, but his defense was so spectacular I just can't bring myself to do so.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to break it to you, but Tucker's only full year with the Giants was better than many, many OFs that played after him (OPS: .765, OPS+:97) Better than Linden, Ellison, Finley, Dave Roberts, Rajai Davis, Rowand, Fred Lewis, ...

And although they didn't stick with the club for that long, who can forget Jose Guillen or John Bowker?

Normally I'd put Schierholtz in the list because of his offensive shortcomings, but his defense was so spectacular I just can't bring myself to do so.
I brought him up more for comedic effect than anything else.

20/20 hindsight even says that punting the pick was basically a non-issue. That was one of the weakest drafts in modern memory. And the Giants ended up with Romo out of that draft, who, IIRC, by WAR, was on of the top 15 picks in that draft.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interestingly, Baseball Reference isn't too keen on Schierholtz' defense. They gave him a -1.1 dWAR in 2011, a -0.7 dWAR in 2013 and -0.6 career dWAR. I wonder if TitoMac works for them?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I brought him up more for comedic effect than anything else.

20/20 hindsight even says that punting the pick was basically a non-issue. That was one of the weakest drafts in modern memory. And the Giants ended up with Romo out of that draft, who, IIRC, by WAR, was on of the top 15 picks in that draft.
Wrong draft year, cal. Tucker was signed before the 2004 season so the Giants lost the 29th pick of the 1st round in 2004. Guys picked after that pick (and before the 70th pick, the first for the Giants) was Gio Gonzalez, Huston Street, Yovani Gallardo, Seth Smith, Hunter Pence, Dustin Pedroia, Kurt Suzuki and Jason Vargas.

Last edited: