• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Roster Expectations

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least the only “obvious” BAD move left on the table is Martinez, and I would be shocked if he were to sign with the Giants. And smaller move would not cost any serious prospects nor long term $$ commitments.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least the only “obvious” BAD move left on the table is Martinez, and I would be shocked if he were to sign with the Giants. And smaller move would not cost any serious prospects nor long term $$ commitments.
As long as the Giants make a concerted effort and re-stock the farm and develop players, I'd be happy with a couple years of mediocrity (with the assumption that they really cannot build a championship team without blowing by the luxury tax threshold).

I was talking with my co-worker today, who's wife's cousin plays in the Giants' farm, and he said that his wife's cousin was recently telling him that there is a night and day difference between the Twins' and Giants' farm systems, with the Giants treating him a lot better. Hope they keep that up.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just bite the bullet and start the re-build. there is no savior on the horizon, so stop wasting time, and shed the contracts who will not be on the upswing of their career in 2-3 yrs. as i've said before - the quickest way to stock the system is to trade some of the untouchables for prospects.

personally i'd rather see us suck with a few newbie's at 3rd, in the outfield, and on the mound then to go through a season of sandoval, pence, and span and still suck. sure it may be like spring training for the entire season, but at least there's the potential of a gem. we know where we'll be with the current roster.

regardless of the 'attendance' numbers, turnstile numbers are down and trotting out re-treads out there will not put butts in the seats. the future is youth and until we find it we'll be fighting to keep out of the cellar

the only draws i can honestly remember in recent past were barry, timmy, and panda (in his prime). fans love posey, panik, crawford, and bum --- but i don't think any of them are compelling fans to come to the stadium (with the exception of playoff madbum) with enthusiasm.

giants management needs to convince us they have a plan to compete with the rosters of the astros, yankees, dodgers, etc. so far i've seen nothing approaching a coherent strategy. every year we stay in the current mode is another year wasted and another year where assets are devalued

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just bite the bullet and start the re-build. there is no savior on the horizon, so stop wasting time, and shed the contracts who will not be on the upswing of their career in 2-3 yrs. as i've said before - the quickest way to stock the system is to trade some of the untouchables for prospects.

personally i'd rather see us suck with a few newbie's at 3rd, in the outfield, and on the mound then to go through a season of sandoval, pence, and span and still suck. sure it may be like spring training for the entire season, but at least there's the potential of a gem. we know where we'll be with the current roster.

regardless of the 'attendance' numbers, turnstile numbers are down and trotting out re-treads out there will not put butts in the seats. the future is youth and until we find it we'll be fighting to keep out of the cellar

the only draws i can honestly remember in recent past were barry, timmy, and panda (in his prime). fans love posey, panik, crawford, and bum --- but i don't think any of them are compelling fans to come to the stadium (with the exception of playoff madbum) with enthusiasm.

giants management needs to convince us they have a plan to compete with the rosters of the astros, yankees, dodgers, etc. so far i've seen nothing approaching a coherent strategy. every year we stay in the current mode is another year wasted and another year where assets are devalued
I agree with the general point of the post, but I 100% disagree about Bum. He was absolutely a draw. I think Posey maybe as well, but more because he added to wins, not because people went out of their way to see him take the field.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Stanton is going to the Yankees......

My god, Judge and Stanton in the same lineup.

This does make a situation for the Giants interesting. Supposedly Starlin Castro is going to be involved in the deal. Yankees might have an opening at 2nd base and a glut of outfielders.

Maybe, just maybe, the Giants can pry Clint Frazier or Estevan Florial out of the clutches of the Yankees.... assuming either is not involved in this Stanton deal.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This could be a potential golden opportunity for the Giants. Stanton stays East, they get a young outfielder, do Panik a solid by trading him to a place he'd enjoy (he wants to stay, but if he were to be traded anywhere he'd choose the Yankees) and they get a little younger without full on rebuilding.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This could be a potential golden opportunity for the Giants. Stanton stays East, they get a young outfielder, do Panik a solid by trading him to a place he'd enjoy (he wants to stay, but if he were to be traded anywhere he'd choose the Yankees) and they get a little younger without full on rebuilding.
I'd hate to see Panik leave (as I would Posey, Bumgarner, Belt and Crawford) but that may be the best thing, if the Giants can get better AND younger AND cheaper all at the same time. And, wow, that Yankee negotiating has gone fast! There was scant a word about it until today.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd hate to see Panik leave (as I would Posey, Bumgarner, Belt and Crawford) but that may be the best thing, if the Giants can get better AND younger AND cheaper all at the same time. And, wow, that Yankee negotiating has gone fast! There was scant a word about it until today.

Yeah it's crazy. Hank Schulman just said it's "close if not done", with regards to Stanton.

I disagree with Hank on a few thing related to the baseball field, but when he pipes up on the transaction wire his track record is excellent. Doesn't just throw shit to see if it sticks. He means business when drops something like that.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it's crazy. Hank Schulman just said it's "close if not done", with regards to Stanton.

I disagree with Hank on a few thing related to the baseball field, but when he pipes up on the transaction wire his track record is excellent. Doesn't just throw shit to see if it sticks. He means business when drops something like that.
But there's also this:
If the Dodgers are truly discussing a trade as well, what does Stanton do? Does he say no the Yankees? Can he even say no after putting them on his list? How official is that?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the general point of the post, but I 100% disagree about Bum. He was absolutely a draw. I think Posey maybe as well, but more because he added to wins, not because people went out of their way to see him take the field.

I was commenting more on the game day draw to the park. I used to ride the train up to ATT (2005-2011) and the energy when with bonds, then timmy, and to some extent pablo was elevated. I don't see that with anyone now except possibly bum/dodgers ... fans know something will happen. bum/marlins, meh. regardless of the opponent timmy always pulled in a specific crowd - bar sales in the area were also up significantly - it was party time

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are going to suck for several years. That is my roster expectations.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants linked to Moustakas and Frazier.

I would be somewhat OK with Frazier since he should not come with a horrible contract and no compensation. Moose would cost a shit-ton and would cost 1M in international $$ as well as our 2nd and 5th picks.

Of course the Giants don’t care about international $$, so maybe we shouldn’t care about losing it...

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't say I'm not disappointed to some small degree. This time of the year is always exciting for the fans but for me the landscaping is changing dramatically. Stanton told everyone where he would play and where he wouldn't He chose all playoff teams. No surprise. All of the teams interested in Stanton We're in the top 5 for revenue, attendance and total valuation. The NYY were first at 3.4B, followed by LAD at 2.7B. I'm not sure the salary cap really bothers these teams. They may give it lip service but that's about it. Living in NY I've seen a few different takes on the salary cap issue. A few said that the NYY would really try and avoid the cap penalty but many said that their revenues were high enough to support any decision they wanted to make ... Including Stanton. Makes it very difficult to hang with teams like this over a 162 game schedule. For me this is why the LAD have taken the division for 5 consecutive seasons. A salary level of 250M can buy a hell of a lot of talent. Will not guarantee a WS title but will most likely give you a playoff spot. It's very difficult to mount a solid rebuilding effort when you are in fact competing with teams whose philosophy is 'win at any cost' This whole Stanton situation would have been really interesting if there were 'hard salary caps' in place and none of the teams in wanted to play for .... Qualified

End of rant!

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants linked to Moustakas and Frazier.

I would be somewhat OK with Frazier since he should not come with a horrible contract and no compensation. Moose would cost a shit-ton and would cost 1M in international $$ as well as our 2nd and 5th picks.

Of course the Giants don’t care about international $$, so maybe we shouldn’t care about losing it...

I think any rumors linking the Giants QO free agents this year are ignorant from the reporter's perspective. I just don't see how a single one of their expected values is higher than the deep cost for the Giants.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think any rumors linking the Giants QO free agents this year are ignorant from the reporter's perspective. I just don't see how a single one of their expected values is higher than the deep cost for the Giants.
I HOPE you are right, but I don’t trust you are right. The Giants have shown in the past that they are willing to a) punt picks for a perceived short term gain and b) do what it takes to “win the press conference”.

Signing Moose would “get fans excited” and would put the Giants on the front pages for a while. It would also shut up Fitz and Kruger (for a few days, at least). I hope the Giants ignore those two blow hards, but they have a combined 5 hours a day where they spout their “win now at any cost” drivel.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I HOPE you are right, but I don’t trust you are right. The Giants have shown in the past that they are willing to a) punt picks for a perceived short term gain and b) do what it takes to “win the press conference”.

Signing Moose would “get fans excited” and would put the Giants on the front pages for a while. It would also shut up Fitz and Kruger (for a few days, at least). I hope the Giants ignore those two blow hards, but they have a combined 5 hours a day where they spout their “win now at any cost” drivel.
Unfortunately, I fall in cal's camp on this one. In addition to what he wrote, there is also the fact that the ownership has said that they wanted to stay within the luxury tax threshold, only to make a major push for Stanton. As it became obvious that the Stanton deal wouldn't go through, Larry Baer went on record to say that JD Martinez would be their plan B. This after the FO also saying earlier in the offseason that pitching and defense would be their focus. My point is that nothing is out of play, not even loss of draft picks. The club is swinging pretty wildly this offseason.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cain, Moustakas on Giants' radar? Sabean: 'My vote would be a no'

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been pondering this. I agree on Martinez. Defensive liability. However, I don't want Moustakas nor do I care for Jay Bruce -- they don't get on base and they don't defend.

So, there are a couple of "bad moves" the Giants could make.