• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Roster Expectations

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i really haven't been keeping up with the offseason - has anything of any substance happened? either on the receiving or giving side...

i'd hate to think we came into '17 with one of the worst outfields and think that going into '18 with the same group will yield better results....

and no... actually hell no... to jay bruce. when we are one, it not the, least athletic teams in mlb - this is not the way to start building for the future
The Giants have been tied to nearly every outfielder who is either a free agent or thought to be on the trade market this offseason. However, most of them have had some rather scary components to them. Bruce and Hamilton have just been the last two to be fresh on the rumor board.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants have been tied to nearly every outfielder who is either a free agent or thought to be on the trade market this offseason. However, most of them have had some rather scary components to them. Bruce and Hamilton have just been the last two to be fresh on the rumor board.

i'm completely ok with not signing a 'name', but any new prospects in the wings or is '18 going to be a '17 redo?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm completely ok with not signing a 'name', but any new prospects in the wings or is '18 going to be a '17 redo?
I think the Giants will play better than 2017 but I doubt they'll be much more than an 80 win team. However, I really want my projection to way too low.
As for the Billy Hamilton trade talk, apparently the Reds won't trade him without getting Heliot Ramos in return. I'm glad to know the Giants are not backing down from protecting their top prospects. And while Hamilton would provide great defense, his bat would make Denard Span look like Barry Bonds, especially since he wouldn't be able to hit against the Giants' pitchers any longer. For his career, the Giants is the 2nd highest opponent OPS (.885), behind the 3 games he's played against the Twins (1.026). Of course, the 3rd highest is the Rockies (.853) and he hits the Cubs (.764) and Pirates (.736) so maybe he could start whenever we play them.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Giants will play better than 2017 but I doubt they'll be much more than an 80 win team. However, I really want my projection to way too low.
As for the Billy Hamilton trade talk, apparently the Reds won't trade him without getting Heliot Ramos in return. I'm glad to know the Giants are not backing down from protecting their top prospects. And while Hamilton would provide great defense, his bat would make Denard Span look like Barry Bonds, especially since he wouldn't be able to hit against the Giants' pitchers any longer. For his career, the Giants is the 2nd highest opponent OPS (.885), behind the 3 games he's played against the Twins (1.026). Of course, the 3rd highest is the Rockies (.853) and he hits the Cubs (.764) and Pirates (.736) so maybe he could start whenever we play them.

thx... if we can't upgrade the outfield in both offense*and*defense, we should stand pat until we can. hate to see the '17 group take the field again, but it's better than being locked into contracts that will extend into the '20s. hard to believe we don't have someone in the wings given this situation has been evident for years

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thx... if we can't upgrade the outfield in both offense*and*defense, we should stand pat until we can. hate to see the '17 group take the field again, but it's better than being locked into contracts that will extend into the '20s. hard to believe we don't have someone in the wings given this situation has been evident for years

To piggy back LGH, should they fail/decline to acquire a CFer, Steven Duggar seems like a pretty good bet to open the season with the big club.

He's a speed/defense/OBP guy, with some hope that he'll develop some pop. I think a fair comp is Gregor Blanco, with a chance at a better bat.

Reactions: LHG

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To piggy back LGH, should they fail/decline to acquire a CFer, Steven Duggar seems like a pretty good bet to open the season with the big club.

He's a speed/defense/OBP guy, with some hope that he'll develop some pop. I think a fair comp is Gregor Blanco, with a chance at a better bat.
I'm good with a one year rental (like signing Austin Jackson to a one year deal) but Hamilton wouldn't be a one year rental and his on base percentage is awful. He's a number 8 hitter batting lead off because of his speed.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm good with a one year rental (like signing Austin Jackson to a one year deal) but Hamilton wouldn't be a one year rental and his on base percentage is awful. He's a number 8 hitter batting lead off because of his speed.

i'm ok with a rental if there's a purpose ... ie depth, clubhouse leader, bridge to younger players, aspiring coach,... etc

if its just a rental to make it seem like the fo is doing something - i'll pass

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

we've slid a bit when the offseason move it to get someone comparable to blanco (don't get me wrong, i really appreciated gregor's time here - but he's not exactly the high water mark)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we've slid a bit when the offseason move it to get someone comparable to blanco (don't get me wrong, i really appreciated gregor's time here - but he's not exactly the high water mark)
Sure, but every product of the system isn’t going to be Clark, Williams, Posey or Bumgarner. You need to produce some Pedro Feliz’s and Bill Muellers as well. If Duggar ends up being Gregor Blanco for 5 years, and essentially for free, I am good with that.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Blanco was a 2.5+ win player in his peak years as a Giant, and accrued 8.6 fWAR over 5 years.

It's nice to have studs to churn out of the minors every time sure, but as Cal mentioned that's just not going to happen.

Plus I think Blanco is a pretty safe comp, room for Duggar to exceed that. And 2012-2015 Blanco would be an upgrade over Span right now.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blanco was a 2.5+ win player in his peak years as a Giant, and accrued 8.6 fWAR over 5 years.

It's nice to have studs to churn out of the minors every time sure, but as Cal mentioned that's just not going to happen.

Plus I think Blanco is a pretty safe comp, room for Duggar to exceed that. And 2012-2015 Blanco would be an upgrade over Span right now.
And I'd take peak Blanco over current Hamilton (at least, offensively) any day. Blanco's worst OPS was 2012 and it was still 12 points higher than Hamilton's best OPS (not counting his 19 AB 2013 season), and this with Blanco playing at AT&T while Hamilton plays at Great American.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just heard this. Per BBTR, the deal is done and just pending physicals. No details, though.

Let the blow up begin...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I guess it was a good idea picking up his option. We saved the buyout AND got a couple clubhouse kids for San Jose.

Of course, giving up Fox to get him was no bueno...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is actually pretty sweet. Giants get some prospects for picking up Moore's option, a decision all of us were fervently opposed to.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is actually pretty sweet. Giants get some prospects for picking up Moore's option, a decision all of us were fervently opposed to.
Wow, wasn't expecting the Giants to do this. Will be interesting to see who comes over from Texas. Wonder if Pence was ever really talked about.