• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Roster Expectations

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the most likely candidates for a dfa in the next week are Orlando Calixte, Roberto Gomez and Chase Johnson. However, I could see any of the three recent acquisitions (Micah Johnson, Pierce Johnson and Engelb Vielma), one of the two O lefties (Osich or Okert), Dan Slania and even Mac Williamson and Miguel Gomez being on the bubble as well.
I would be shocked if M Gomez is booted. I think the “easy” cuts are R Gomez and Calixte. Maybe one of the Os.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another name I'm going to float out there:

Jackie Bradley Stats | Baseball-Reference.com Jackie Bradley Jr. » Statistics » Batting | FanGraphs Baseball

JBJ has 3 more years of control left. He's arbitration eligible this offseason. He's an incredible defensive CFer, one of the best in baseball. His bat is okay, definitely gets a lot of help playing in the AL East.

His cost would probably be pretty high. It might not be worth it given the bat is a question mark, but his defense would certainly be worth it.

Why would the Red Sox do it? The Sox are desperate for power, and I think they're going hard after JD Martinez, or possibly Stanton. They can move Betts or Benintendi to CF and their power bat to a corner spot.

The Sox aren't trading Betts. They won't trade Benintendi unless they get a massive haul that the Giants can't provide.

But JBJ could be expendable.

:nod:

I don't know how big of a fan I am of this but here's my new idea:

Jackie Bradley Jr. and Michael Chavis for Brandon Belt.

Unlikely the Giants will get that kind of value for Belt with his concussions though. And again, I don't think I like that deal even if the Giants could get it done.

Last edited:

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:nod:

I don't know how big of a fan I am of this but here's my new idea:

Jackie Bradley Jr. and Michael Chavis for Brandon Belt.

Unlikely the Giants will get that kind of value for Belt with his concussions though. And again, I don't think I like that deal even if the Giants could get it done.
The concussion issue is a big one for Belt, in terms of the Giants getting value in trading him. He needs to show he is healthy again before the Giants think about shipping him out.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The concussion issue is a big one for Belt, in terms of the Giants getting value in trading him. He needs to show he is healthy again before the Giants think about shipping him out.

I'm curious what you think if Belt played the entire season and didn't have the concussion issues. What do you think about the value of that deal?

I do agree though, if the Giants trade him they're not getting equal value at the moment.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious what you think if Belt played the entire season and didn't have the concussion issues. What do you think about the value of that deal?

I do agree though, if the Giants trade him they're not getting equal value at the moment.
Well, Bradley would fit right in to the Giants' way. He doesn't walk much but strikes out a lot. He had two good years before 2017 but saw his OPS drop by 100 points. Not sure how good his defense is. Is it enough to make up the offense lost by Belt's absence (knowing that defense would also be down at 1st as well).
Chavis' 2017 year was great! But he didn't look good before then.
I think the Giants would under trade Belt because they don't know how to sell his value. And that is due to the fact that they don't fully understand what all he does for the team. It is a shame really. The hole he'd leave in the lineup is bigger than they think. My problem on the deal isn't so much the return but on how the lineup would be even weaker than before the trade. I'd be more for it if they went in full rebuild mode. Win now requires Belt, unless they landed Votto or Goldschmidt.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do wonder if the Sandoval debacle and the pitchers we got in the Nunez deal would play a factor in what the Red Sox would want in exchange for Bradley.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do wonder if the Sandoval debacle and the pitchers we got in the Nunez deal would play a factor in what the Red Sox would want in exchange for Bradley.
Nah. Nunez was a champ for them before he got hurt in the playoffs. I would guess they are happy with the trade as is.

As far as Sandoval is concerned, they dumped him, and when the Giants picked him up, he continued to play like ass. Not sure how the Giants gained anything there, except losing the top pick because an ill-timed garbage-bomb by Sandoval.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking about Sandoval, it's reassuring to hear Sabean say the Giants 'NEED' to find a 'starting 3rd baseman'.

We might still end up with him, but at least he's probably like plan D (the fact that he's part of any plan is a different discussion).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking about Sandoval, it's reassuring to hear Sabean say the Giants 'NEED' to find a 'starting 3rd baseman'.

We might still end up with him, but at least he's probably like plan D (the fact that he's part of any plan is a different discussion).
If we end up losing anyone in the Rule V, he will have cost us something as well...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we end up losing anyone in the Rule V, he will have cost us something as well...

I'm hoping, with a league minimum salary, that he's not a priority to keep around. If the Giants make a trade, or strike early on some FAs and fill their 40-man roster before the deadline and Sandoval is on the cusp, I genuinely think they wound't think twice about cutting him.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping, with a league minimum salary, that he's not a priority to keep around. If the Giants make a trade, or strike early on some FAs and fill their 40-man roster before the deadline and Sandoval is on the cusp, I genuinely think they wound't think twice about cutting him.
The 40 is already full and no one has been added yet. At least 4 or 5 of the guys now on the 40 man will be cut and there still could be a guy or two lost in the Rule V.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at these lists (which I'll post at the end), if the Giants went purely the free agent route, I wouldn't be mad with this type of offseason:

Jarrod Dyson - CF
Howie Kendrick - LF/platoon
Mike Minor - LHP
Todd Frazier - 3B

Dyson and Kendrick shouldn't get more than two years, three at the most, at around $6M-$10M.

Minor is a converted starter. He'll probably generate a ton of interest, likely looking at three to four years at $10M-$12M. That's a lot of cash, wouldn't be mad with Watson at half the cost.

Frazier is probably my least favorite on here, but the FA market for 3rd basemen is pretty thin. Luckily, there aren't many buyers either, so his price should be that high. Probably $10M-$13M over 3 years is his sweet spot. I'm willing to bet that last year is going to be brutal though.

I'm hoping the Giants look small on the free agent market. Short-term deals. All these guys fit that bill.

2018 Top 50 Free Agents | FanGraphs Baseball

2017-18 Top 50 MLB Free Agents With Predictions

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 40 is already full and no one has been added yet. At least 4 or 5 of the guys now on the 40 man will be cut and there still could be a guy or two lost in the Rule V.

Well then... I hope I'm right.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at these lists (which I'll post at the end), if the Giants went purely the free agent route, I wouldn't be mad with this type of offseason:

Jarrod Dyson - CF
Mike Minor - LHP
Todd Frazier - 3B

Dyson and Kendrick shouldn't get more than two years, three at the most, at around $6M-$10M.

Minor is a converted starter. He'll probably generate a ton of interest, likely looking at three to four years at $10M-$12M. That's a lot of cash, wouldn't be mad with Watson at half the cost.

Frazier is probably my least favorite on here, but the FA market for 3rd basemen is pretty thin. Luckily, there aren't many buyers either, so his price should be that high. Probably $10M-$13M over 3 years is his sweet spot. I'm willing to bet that last year is going to be brutal though.

I'm hoping the Giants look small on the free agent market. Short-term deals. All these guys fit that bill.

We will need a bu C as well. Of course Hundley should be the prime target there, but you have to assume he will be courted by another team with a better situation for him.

This will be a VERY interesting week, me thinks. FA starts tomorrow, and the meetings have already been going on for a day (aren’t the meetings usually later in the off-season??).

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will need a bu C as well. Of course Hundley should be the prime target there, but you have to assume he will be courted by another team with a better situation for him.

This will be a VERY interesting week, me thinks. FA starts tomorrow, and the meetings have already been going on for a day (aren’t the meetings usually later in the off-season??).

The GM meetings is different from the Winter meetings.

The Winter meetings are in early December.

Reactions: LHG

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jarrod Dyson - CF
Mike Minor - LHP
Todd Frazier - 3B

If the Giants are truly going after defense and pitching, then Dyson fits the bill, because opposing pitching will look good against him. His bat will, hopefully, make him a low cost signing.

I don't remember where, but I read somewhere that Minor is wanting to sign with someone to start. If the Giants want to bring him on as the left handed reliever, they are going to need to wait out the market enough for Minor to realize he won't be starting somewhere. However, I would think a small market team would be willing to sign him to a one year deal as a starter. That would allow him to try to establish a market for him as a starter, and the team a midseason trade chip. If it fails, the team moves him to the bullpen and he tries again in the 2018 offseason market as a reliever.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Giants are truly going after defense and pitching, then Dyson fits the bill, because opposing pitching will look good against him. His bat will, hopefully, make him a low cost signing.

I don't remember where, but I read somewhere that Minor is wanting to sign with someone to start. If the Giants want to bring him on as the left handed reliever, they are going to need to wait out the market enough for Minor to realize he won't be starting somewhere. However, I would think a small market team would be willing to sign him to a one year deal as a starter. That would allow him to try to establish a market for him as a starter, and the team a midseason trade chip. If it fails, the team moves him to the bullpen and he tries again in the 2018 offseason market as a reliever.

Imo..... he'd be an idiot to go somewhere as a starter, unless he gets a multi-year deal at starters' money.

The market for revilers, especially late inning lefties, is pretty hot right now.

He's had massive arm issues in his past as a starter.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo..... he'd be an idiot to go somewhere as a starter, unless he gets a multi-year deal at starters' money.

The market for revilers, especially late inning lefties, is pretty hot right now.

He's had massive arm issues in his past as a starter.
Well, in today's political landscape, revilers are pretty hot. I guess it was a matter of time before they gained traction in sports too. :heh:

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is big. Bobby Evans said that no one is off limits for trade possibilities, even Posey, Crawford and Bumgarner. Now if the team truly went full re-build mode, that could be encouraging. However, with the route that they are going, that seems a bit more scary. I just don't see this team getting at least 23 games better (from their 2017 record to the Rockies' 2017 record, who were the 2nd WC) through free agency or trades. The farm system limits trades and the salary as it stands for 2018 limits free agents ($189 million already committed to 16 with the luxury tax threshold at $197 million). If they go trading the keystones to this franchise, in order to improve other positions, I don't see how that improves the club in the short term or long term.
Giants' Bobby Evans has options at GM Meetings