• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Roster Expectations

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doc said it was mentined in a Keith Law chat.

I'm thinking that person mixed up Coonrod with someone else, or something. Law brushed past that tidbit. IDK, I'll dig into it a bit.

Klawchat 10/26/17.

Kelly : How does being on the disabled list affect the Rule 5 draft? (For example, Sam Coonrood in the Giants system was Rule 5 eligible but is on the DL for Tommy John’s.)
Keith Law: There is no offseason DL. All those players must be activated and assigned to a roster.

edit: Probably assuming way too much here, but with the way this person spells "Coonrood" and calls it Tommy John's, I'm guessing they aren't clued in to a breaking story.

Last edited:

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking that person mixed up Coonrod with someone else, or something. Law brushed past that tidbit. IDK, I'll dig into it a bit.

Klawchat 10/26/17.

edit: Probably assuming way too much here, but with the way this person spells "Coonrood" and calls it Tommy John's, I'm guessing they aren't clued in to a breaking story.
Coonrod last threw on August 20th. He was shut down about 12 days before the season ended. I heard nothing about him needing TJ.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coonrod last threw on August 20th. He was shut down about 12 days before the season ended. I heard nothing about him needing TJ.

Yeah I'm trying to figure out what he went down with, because that will likely give us the answer we need, but even that is proving hard to find.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No where to put this, and it's not worth creating a new thread..... but at least this season was avoided as TOTAL UTTER FAILURE!

GO ASTROS!!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No where to put this, and it's not worth creating a new thread..... but at least this season was avoided as TOTAL UTTER FAILURE!

GO ASTROS!!
My second favorite team won the Series!!!

Go ABDs!!!

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another name I'm going to float out there:

Jackie Bradley Stats | Baseball-Reference.com Jackie Bradley Jr. » Statistics » Batting | FanGraphs Baseball

JBJ has 3 more years of control left. He's arbitration eligible this offseason. He's an incredible defensive CFer, one of the best in baseball. His bat is okay, definitely gets a lot of help playing in the AL East.

His cost would probably be pretty high. It might not be worth it given the bat is a question mark, but his defense would certainly be worth it.

Why would the Red Sox do it? The Sox are desperate for power, and I think they're going hard after JD Martinez, or possibly Stanton. They can move Betts or Benintendi to CF and their power bat to a corner spot.

The Sox aren't trading Betts. They won't trade Benintendi unless they get a massive haul that the Giants can't provide.

But JBJ could be expendable.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another name I'm going to float out there:

Jackie Bradley Stats | Baseball-Reference.com Jackie Bradley Jr. » Statistics » Batting | FanGraphs Baseball

JBJ has 3 more years of control left. He's arbitration eligible this offseason. He's an incredible defensive CFer, one of the best in baseball. His bat is okay, definitely gets a lot of help playing in the AL East.

His cost would probably be pretty high. It might not be worth it given the bat is a question mark, but his defense would certainly be worth it.

Why would the Red Sox do it? The Sox are desperate for power, and I think they're going hard after JD Martinez, or possibly Stanton. They can move Betts or Benintendi to CF and their power bat to a corner spot.

The Sox aren't trading Betts. They won't trade Benintendi unless they get a massive haul that the Giants can't provide.

But JBJ could be expendable.
If the Red Sox were smart, they would trade him before acquiring Stanton or Martinez, with the idea that they have a pretty good shot at one of them. That, I think, would increase the return that they would get on Bradley, as it wouldn't been seen as much of a necessary move on the part of the Red Sox.

That being said, I don't think the Giants have what is needed to get him. Someone could easily outbid the Giants in prospects.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Red Sox were smart, they would trade him before acquiring Stanton or Martinez, with the idea that they have a pretty good shot at one of them. That, I think, would increase the return that they would get on Bradley, as it wouldn't been seen as much of a necessary move on the part of the Red Sox.

That being said, I don't think the Giants have what is needed to get him. Someone could easily outbid the Giants in prospects.

Yeah it's tough to say as always what a guys' trade value is. It would be a steep cost for the Giants, probably too much.

He'll turn 28 next season. By the time he hits the FA market, he'll be at that gray area age. Is that a guy the Giants want to commit to long term? An aging CFer who's value lies mostly in his glove? Does he fit the window? If the Giants are facing a rebuild, perhaps not. He fits the "win now" mode. If the Giants' pulled off JBJ and Stanton, that would be a pretty good OF.

I'd probably rather just sign Dyson though.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's another name I'm going to throw out there:

Michael Chavis » Statistics » Batting | FanGraphs Baseball Michael Chavis Minor Leagues Statistics & History | Baseball-Reference.com

It's really annoying the Giants don't have a reliever they could trade.

Chavis is a big little dude. He's only 5'-10", but he packs in a ton of power. He plays 3rd base, but the Red Sox are pretty sold on Devers at this point. There's talk he could move to 2nd base, but Pedroia is set there for 3 more years. Chavis is viewed as being ready this summer or by next year.

He's a right-handed power hitter, plays a solid 3rd base, just turned 22 years old.

It would be really frickin sweet if the Giants could pull off a veteran for Chavis trade, but I'm thinking it might be a prospect swap, Shaw for Chavis.

I love Shaw, he's a great person, I think he's going to be fine in LF (better than 1st tbh) and I think he's going to be a good hitter, but it's risky as a lefty in AT&T. Chavis is right handed and plays 3rd base. Checks off a couple of boxes for the Giants there.

If the Giants could somehow pull a trade for Chavis (Strickland and Suarez maybe?) while keeping Shaw, the Giants would be looking pretty good on the left sideline, power-wise.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hosmer, Cain and Moustakas all receive qualifying offers, as expected. I think it's pretty safe to say we can cross all those guys off the Giants' list.

Even if they didn't receive QO's, the only one I'd probably consider is Moustakas. Cain is going to be another Span/Pagan in 2-3 years. I do really like him as a player, but pass.

Moose, possibly, but he's pretty much just a power guy, terrible defender at 3rd. His power would be nice though.

Hosmer is redundant.

Reactions: LHG

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hosmer, Cain and Moustakas all receive qualifying offers, as expected. I think it's pretty safe to say we can cross all those guys off the Giants' list.

Even if they didn't receive QO's, the only one I'd probably consider is Moustakas. Cain is going to be another Span/Pagan in 2-3 years. I do really like him as a player, but pass.

Moose, possibly, but he's pretty much just a power guy, terrible defender at 3rd. His power would be nice though.

Hosmer is redundant.
QOs shouldn't affect us, our pick is guaranteed. I agree on Cain. Pass. Not sure I want Dyson either.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QOs shouldn't affect us, our pick is guaranteed. I agree on Cain. Pass. Not sure I want Dyson either.

New CBA rules.

It's true the Giants's 1st pick is protected (would have been under old rules).

New rules, everyone's 1st rounder is protected. Teams that pay into the luxury tax and are revenue sharing teams (big markets) lose their 2nd and 5th round picks, plus international free agent pool money.

So the Giants would still lose a pretty high pick.

Reactions: LHG

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cueto's decision looms. Has to decide by sometime tonight (I thought the deadline was 5 ET, but evidently not).

I'd say chances of him opting out are 15%. That fact he's taken this long makes me think he's seriously considering his market.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cueto's decision looms. Has to decide by sometime tonight (I thought the deadline was 5 ET, but evidently not).

I'd say chances of him opting out are 15%. That fact he's taken this long makes me think he's seriously considering his market.
Lack of action means he stays. So I would think the lack of news means he is not opting out.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lack of action means he stays. So I would think the lack of news means he is not opting out.

This is true. Still need to announce it though.

Tanaka announced he decided not to opt out.

Also, I'm sure Cueto's decision will be influenced by Tanaka's.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true. Still need to announce it though.

Tanaka announced he decided not to opt out.

Also, I'm sure Cueto's decision will be influenced by Tanaka's.
They don’t HAVE to announce it. There, technically, would be nothing to announce if he does not opt out. But I agree that there will be some kind of announcement. Or at least some kind of twitter talk (and twitter is oddly quiet today).

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don’t HAVE to announce it. There, technically, would be nothing to announce if he does not opt out. But I agree that there will be some kind of announcement. Or at least some kind of twitter talk (and twitter is oddly quiet today).

I'm thinking he's opting in, and the Giants are just really slow in sending out a press release.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking he's opting in, and the Giants are just really slow in sending out a press release.
I agree. It would be really surprising to see him walk away from that contract.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. It would be really surprising to see him walk away from that contract.

It's possible he could approach it, basically a 4 year $90M contract by opting in. Maybe like 4 year $75M on the open market.

But it would be risky as hell and he'd have a QO attached to him. How much money does he want to risk in the hopes of going to a contender?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His current contract, just FYI...

4/84 with a 22/5 club option.

No no-trade protection, but he does get a 500K bonus for his first trade and a 1M bonus for each trade after that. So technically, the Gs would only be on the hook for the 500K trade bonus if they were able to flip him. The receiving team would be responsible for the first 1M if they wanted to trade him after that.