• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Roster Expectations

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://nypost.com/2017/10/05/why-greg-bird-is-key-to-yankees-spending-future/

As for the future, Cashman did not obfuscate at all. He said, “we are getting under the threshold next year.” That means the $197 million luxury tax line for 2018. Translation: A big-ticket item such as free agent Eric Hosmer will not be signed when the Yankees can pay a player they have such high regards for around $600,000 next season.

New York Yankees 2018 Salaries Payroll

Brett Gardner Stats | Baseball-Reference.com

:thumb:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh.

He looks like a Pence-lite. And he makes 24M over the next 2 years. And ‘18 is his age 34 season.

I'll explain myself a bit. I think the Giants have an opportunity to take on a contract and get another young player from the Yankees here. And Gardner as a player makes sense for the Giants 2-fold in that he would allow the Giants to look like they're competing next year. It wouldn't be a pure prospect trade because the Kings are for sure not doing that (I.E. Panik for a prospect).

Gardner was a very good defender in LF this year, and he's still pretty athletic. Hitting wise, he probably would have been our 3rd/4th best hitter. He's on a 1+1 deal, the same as Span, not a 2 year deal. Take on all his salary, get a prospect out of it like Albert Abreu? Not terrible. Just a thought.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Normally I'd say no on someone like this. At the age of 33 he posts his career year, after seeing his numbers decline for the past three years. However, I'm not sure what to make of player production with the spike in power around the MLB (apparently, there was a force field set up in San Francisco that only protected Giants' players from this change new virus).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants could add outfield, relief arms in 2018

"So enhancing the Giants' existing strengths -- pitching and defense, particularly the latter -- while incrementally upgrading the offense might be their best combination of options.

But improving the defense will require a dedicated player-acquisition effort. Entering the regular season's final weekend, the Giants ranked 28th among the 30 Major League clubs in defensive efficiency rating, which measures team defense by evaluating the percentage of batted balls turned into outs."

jack-tripper.gif

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As with the Yankees, Marlins officially state desire to cut payroll:

Marlins new owners plan to slash payroll to $90M. What that could mean for the team

If the current roster was left unchanged, next year’s payroll would approach $140 million, meaning ownership would need to eliminate about $50 million to get to the $90 million target figure they presented to owners. The owners could always choose to exceed or fall below $90 million.

The Giants HAVE to be involved in this. All 3 outfielders would make sense.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offseason Outlook: San Francisco Giants
Why is the organization so bent on pitching and defense first? Last I looked, offense is killing it both in the regular season and the playoffs. Unless your team has a rotation full of Clayton Kershaw clones, there's no way pitching and defense will get a team very far in this new version of smashball.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offseason Outlook: San Francisco Giants
Why is the organization so bent on pitching and defense first? Last I looked, offense is killing it both in the regular season and the playoffs. Unless your team has a rotation full of Clayton Kershaw clones, there's no way pitching and defense will get a team very far in this new version of smashball.
As much as I hate the trend, it is what it is. Either get on board or get run over.

2 players hit 4 HRs in a game this regular season and w players hit 3 HRs in the playoffs SO FAR this year.

The game is rigged towards offense. Might as well acknowledge it.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I hate the trend, it is what it is. Either get on board or get run over.

2 players hit 4 HRs in a game this regular season and w players hit 3 HRs in the playoffs SO FAR this year.

The game is rigged towards offense. Might as well acknowledge it.
Except our FO won't. I really hope they know what they are doing. They did in 2010, 2012 and 2014. Just not sure that will work in 2018.

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except our FO won't. I really hope they know what they are doing. They did in 2010, 2012 and 2014. Just not sure that will work in 2018.

But maybe that's the (or perhaps I should say THEIR) point. Our approach won us 3 championships in 5 years. It works. And we don't shift from what works just based on the prevailing winds...which may themselves shift again in the next few years.

Of course, if the winds are in fact a tornadic, permanent shift in the game itself, then they're potentially doing the team long-term damage. We'll see.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But maybe that's the (or perhaps I should say THEIR) point. Our approach won us 3 championships in 5 years. It works. And we don't shift from what works just based on the prevailing winds...which may themselves shift again in the next few years.

Of course, if the winds are in fact a tornadic, permanent shift in the game itself, then they're potentially doing the team long-term damage. We'll see.
It is an equipment change in the game. The league office said figured out how to get juice results without the juice.

Come on. There were 2 players who hit 4 HRs in a game this year and 2 players went deep 3 times in a game during the playoffs. The game has become a pinball machine. It is disgusting.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is an equipment change in the game. The league office said figured out how to get juice results without the juice.

Come on. There were 2 players who hit 4 HRs in a game this year and 2 players went deep 3 times in a game during the playoffs. The game has become a pinball machine. It is disgusting.
And look at how starting pitching has changed in the playoffs. There have been 29 games played to this point in the 2017 postseason. That means 58 pitchers have started a postseason game this year. Of those 58, only 8 of them have gone 7 or more innings in a game. Another 24 have last at least 5 innings. That means 27 of the pitchers who've started in a postseason game have not made it long enough to earn a win! And out of that 27, 16 haven't even last 4 innings. And of those 16, 12 couldn't even make it past 3 innings! Teams need deep bullpens and a lineup full of sluggers now.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure it's as clear cut as we'd like to make it. The Cubs had 6 starters with 20 or more homers in the line-up ... yet they were swept by the hated ones. Thire power didn't materialize ... so it never mattered to them. You still need some level of starting pitching. BUT .... there have been some telling moments .... LA and CHI were locked in a pitching duel when Turner hits a walk off EWS. One bad pitch and you can pay a really high.
price.

Being in NY I get to see the NNY and Judge. The kid is awesome and definitely puts fear into a pitcher .... especially in a close game. The announcer made a real good point that I never thought of .... Facing someone like Judge (and having Sanchez on deck) with the game close is a very stressful inning for a pitcher. No matter the quality of the pitcher ... those types of inning really take a toll on the pitcher.

Without any real power in the line-up (in a few slots) makes the inning quite a bit easier on a pitcher. Not really stressing over throwing one bad pitch.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure it's as clear cut as we'd like to make it. The Cubs had 6 starters with 20 or more homers in the line-up ... yet they were swept by the hated ones. Thire power didn't materialize ... so it never mattered to them. You still need some level of starting pitching. BUT .... there have been some telling moments .... LA and CHI were locked in a pitching duel when Turner hits a walk off EWS. One bad pitch and you can pay a really high.
price.

Being in NY I get to see the NNY and Judge. The kid is awesome and definitely puts fear into a pitcher .... especially in a close game. The announcer made a real good point that I never thought of .... Facing someone like Judge (and having Sanchez on deck) with the game close is a very stressful inning for a pitcher. No matter the quality of the pitcher ... those types of inning really take a toll on the pitcher.

Without any real power in the line-up (in a few slots) makes the inning quite a bit easier on a pitcher. Not really stressing over throwing one bad pitch.
The Dodgers also had 6 guys with 20 or more home runs. But their offense was more potent all the way around. The Cubs had 7 hitters finish the season with a .800 or better OPS, but only 4 of them had 300 or more at-bats and only 2 played full time all season. Compare that to the Dodgers, who also had 6 finish with an .800 or better OPS but 5 of those guys had at least 450 at-bats. That, and their bullpen (17 IP, 4 hits, 1 W, 22 Ks, NO RUNS! in NLCS) is what has made them successful so far this postseason. I really hope that changes starting their next game.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the FO could give two fecal deposits about what we think, I think both sides are right. Which is another way of saying when looking at acquiring new players, whether by draft, trade, or free agency, we should get the best players available.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Appparently Coonrod had TJ, so no need to add him to the 40 this year.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's too bad the Giants don't have any worth-while relievers to trade. Maybe Strickland.

Watching this Series, I can only think about how top-end relievers are going to CASH IN some major value this offseason. Guys like Brad Hand, or Rasiel Iglesias are going to command huge hauls.