• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Pirates

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tim Benz: Now what, Neal? Streaky Pirates put pressure on GM

It’ll be more difficult to explain to the fans a sell-off of veterans such as Francisco Cervelli, Jordy Mercer, Corey Dickerson, Ivan Nova, David Freese and Josh Harrison if the club creeps above .500.

To be honest no it wouldn't. If he can pull the right deals none of that list will make or break them with the exception of Dickerson and even then Meadows will fill in right away. Cervelli I would put in that also but with his concussions who really wants him?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tim Benz: Now what, Neal? Streaky Pirates put pressure on GM

To be honest no it wouldn't. If he can pull the right deals none of that list will make or break them with the exception of Dickerson and even then Meadows will fill in right away. Cervelli I would put in that also but with his concussions who really wants him?

With Cervelli hurt, I dont see how we get any talent back from our short timers. Maybe Dickerson, but his trade value last offseason included a bad contract going the other way.

If Kuhl wasnt likely out for the year, maybe we trade Nova just to give Kingham a rotation spot. But Holmes isnt valuable enough to clear a spot in the rotation. Plus, we need a veteran pitcher on the team.

Not going for it when we had a window has put us in the middle of the pack and hoping for some breakout years. We have so many young pitchers and Keller sitting in AAA. I think we should just stand pat and figure out what we have.

Maybe pick up a left handed relief pitcher.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Cervelli hurt, I dont see how we get any talent back from our short timers. Maybe Dickerson, but his trade value last offseason included a bad contract going the other way.

If Kuhl wasnt likely out for the year, maybe we trade Nova just to give Kingham a rotation spot. But Holmes isnt valuable enough to clear a spot in the rotation. Plus, we need a veteran pitcher on the team.

Not going for it when we had a window has put us in the middle of the pack and hoping for some breakout years. We have so many young pitchers and Keller sitting in AAA. I think we should just stand pat and figure out what we have.

Maybe pick up a left handed relief pitcher.

I like Holmes quite a bit, but unless someone's willing to give up real value for Nova, might as well hold onto him now. There's no guarantee Holmes doesn't end up in the rotation due to injuries anyway, and I'm none too keen on dealing Nova then having to rely on Eppler or someone like that.

I think Meadows could replace Dickerson exactly. Luplow might be able to produce similar value over the rest of the season, too. He's better than he gets credit for. And he's got a ton of power.

Diaz is likely going to have to carry the rest of the catching duty anyway, so if someone really wants Cervelli, pull the trigger. Deal Harrison, too. Don't worry about getting value back; I think Kramer or Newman would upgrade over Harrison immediately. Honestly like to see the whole Seinfeld middle infield take over, with Mercer relegated to bench bat to mentor Newman.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Meadows could replace Dickerson exactly. Luplow might be able to produce similar value over the rest of the season, too. He's better than he gets credit for. And he's got a ton of power.

Dickersons value has tripled since you posted that :P

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Holmes quite a bit, but unless someone's willing to give up real value for Nova, might as well hold onto him now. There's no guarantee Holmes doesn't end up in the rotation due to injuries anyway, and I'm none too keen on dealing Nova then having to rely on Eppler or someone like that.

Diaz is likely going to have to carry the rest of the catching duty anyway, so if someone really wants Cervelli, pull the trigger. Deal Harrison, too. Don't worry about getting value back; I think Kramer or Newman would upgrade over Harrison immediately. Honestly like to see the whole Seinfeld middle infield take over, with Mercer relegated to bench bat to mentor Newman.

Even with Dickerson's improvements I still think you can deal him now and use Meadows. Dickerson is probably their best trade asset to upgrade pitching.
As for Harrison they lost that chance on dealing him and getting any value. Now it is purely a salary dump but I do agree Newman/Kramer should be starting.

Sadly Cervelli isn't going any where. The concussions have rendered him all but useless behind the plate. The only hope is he magically learns to play 1B or an AL team is desperate for a right side DH platoon?

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with Dickerson's improvements I still think you can deal him now and use Meadows. Dickerson is probably their best trade asset to upgrade pitching.
As for Harrison they lost that chance on dealing him and getting any value. Now it is purely a salary dump but I do agree Newman/Kramer should be starting.

Sadly Cervelli isn't going any where. The concussions have rendered him all but useless behind the plate. The only hope is he magically learns to play 1B or an AL team is desperate for a right side DH platoon?

I don't think 1st base is the place for a concussion prone player. IMO there is no safe position for a player as susceptible to concussions as he is now. If he wants to stay in the game, he needs to think about going into coaching.

Really for his own well being, Cervelli should just retire from playing. We know enough about brain injuries nowadays to know that for him to continue to take such a high risk every time he plays is a really really bad idea for his long-term well being. I know it must be extremely hard for him to just walk away at this stage in his career but at some point if he can't do it himself the team has to step in and protect him from himself. Trading him away doesn't do that. It only lets the team off the hook of dealing with it. They should offer him a coaching position if he is willing to make the transition to that side of the game. I don't know though if he would want to still be that close to the game if his playing days are over for good.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am actually looking forward to the series against the Indians to see if our hot streak can continue against a first place team (I know the Brewers were in first til we knocked them out which was glorious).

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think 1st base is the place for a concussion prone player. IMO there is no safe position for a player as susceptible to concussions as he is now. If he wants to stay in the game, he needs to think about going into coaching.

Really for his own well being, Cervelli should just retire from playing. We know enough about brain injuries nowadays to know that for him to continue to take such a high risk every time he plays is a really really bad idea for his long-term well being. I know it must be extremely hard for him to just walk away at this stage in his career but at some point if he can't do it himself the team has to step in and protect him from himself. Trading him away doesn't do that. It only lets the team off the hook of dealing with it. They should offer him a coaching position if he is willing to make the transition to that side of the game. I don't know though if he would want to still be that close to the game if his playing days are over for good.

First base isn't 100% safe from concussions, but neither is everyday life. The risk is much, much lower, though, and he'll have the opportunity to protect himself in dangerous spots. Like Jaso, I think he'd be reasonably safe there.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First base isn't 100% safe from concussions, but neither is everyday life. The risk is much, much lower, though, and he'll have the opportunity to protect himself in dangerous spots. Like Jaso, I think he'd be reasonably safe there.
Disagree. Lower than catcher, yes, but higher than other positions. But in everyday life you don't have grown men barreling down at you trying to beat a pick-off attempt or a throw to the base. And, there are collisions between runners and players at first all the time although, even with the current blocking plate rules, not as often as at home plate. Plus walls, rails and even the ground is a risk at all positions. I've played first, third and outfield. With a guy as susceptible to repeated concussions as Cervelli, there is no safe position IMO except coach.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I totally agree with you but the challenge is that if he wants to still play and gets the clearance someone will play him. Also as stated prior he has money still out there next year, it truly depends on what he cares about more. The money or life after baseball?

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. Lower than catcher, yes, but higher than other positions. But in everyday life you don't have grown men barreling down at you trying to beat a pick-off attempt or a throw to the base. And, there are collisions between runners and players at first all the time although, even with the current blocking plate rules, not as often as at home plate. Plus walls, rails and even the ground is a risk at all positions. I've played first, third and outfield. With a guy as susceptible to repeated concussions as Cervelli, there is no safe position IMO except coach.
I think we all agree no position is safe. Catcher is probably the worst but heck he could get a concussion from someone tapping him on his helmet or even more importantly if he wants to play, he has to hit, so taking a pitch off the helmet is probably his biggest risk. Made light of it in an earlier post but that joke is sadly the reality.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree with you but the challenge is that if he wants to still play and gets the clearance someone will play him. Also as stated prior he has money still out there next year, it truly depends on what he cares about more. The money or life after baseball?
Clearance is the key. After what Sid went through and more recently Daniel Bryan, it's not impossible to be cleared after being out a while for concussion issues. And, DB showed how hard it is to just walk away from something you love to do and live for. I know it's very easy for me to say Cervellie should just walk away. But no matter what he decides, it's not an easy decision to make.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ya, the trade value of Mercer and Harrison is near 0 and we need a look at Kramer and Newman.

I bet we stand pat at the trade deadline, and if we fall out of the race in August we trade Harrison/Mercer after they clears waivers. If they get claimed, we can just say you can have em.

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't deal Dickerson at this point. He is the hottest player on this streak and Bucs need to ride him IMO. They are red hot now, when 3 weeks ago I had them heading to the basement on division. I'm wondering how this all changed??

Diamondeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just when this team looked like it might be relevant in September, Dickerson and Marte both get hurt.

What a joke.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just when this team looked like it might be relevant in September, Dickerson and Marte both get hurt.

What a joke.

Yep, we are going to get some big news tonight/tommorow. If Marte's hand is broke, its over. They would have already DLed Dickerson if it was really bad, but who knows when he plays again.

redskin4209

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, we are going to get some big news tonight/tommorow. If Marte's hand is broke, its over. They would have already DLed Dickerson if it was really bad, but who knows when he plays again.

Yeap this may be the end to our hot streak but dam!!!!!! that streak really felt good man. I mean real good, hadn't felt like that in a while. One thing I will be looking at is can we play some good D and cut out the errors. Will our pitching falter. If we can improve the latter two, hey we should be in g the hunt.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Marte will be ok and Dickerson's issue is only mild.
The silver lining in all of this if the streak is over it will be easier to sell Dickerson.