• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 NBA playoffs

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, I think ALL top teams that get bounced early in the post season have been criticized. What are the odds GS isn't criticized if they lose in round 1 or 2? Very low.
Look at the criticism the Raptors face.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cavs were much better than all challengers the last 2 years. The only way they weren't winning the East was injury to LeBron, or major injury to 2 or more other key players. THey we're hands down better. It isn't revisionist history because everyone here said they were going to the Finals before the season started.

This year is much different.

LOL at you saying 100% from '16 is way too high and 55% too low for this year. 55% might be too high. They were stone cold locks in '16. Last year they were darn close to it. They aren't nearly as good this year.

By the way, I had the Warriors at 100% last year. Obviously that assumes avoiding catastrophic injuries.

Exactly this. For the objective fan last year, there was little doubt that the Cavs and Warriors were going to face each other. They assumed that from the moment the Cavs won the year before.

Anyone who says that the Cavs are anything more than a slight favorite to win the East simply hasn't been paying attention.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh sure. And that is to be expected. If the Cavs get bounced in the 1st round they deserve to be criticized.

If they lose to the Raptors in the 2nd round? Do they really deserve to be criticized because they lose to a 59 win team that is the #1 seed?
I think for the latter comparison they will largely be criticized because of the fact so many consider them capable because of LBJ. It is pretty much expected that he will carry the team throughout the first couple of rounds - even quite possibly through the ECF as well. But, I think this season more teams are stepping up & sayin, no way. You will have to strategize to beat us.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at the criticism the Raptors face.
Yea, but rightfully so in the Raps case. They literally were at the top of their conference the last few seasons, played really well against all the other teams but literally wet the bed every time they faced the Cavs.

So, they're going to have to show everyone what they can do before they're given any credit for being a top team in the post season.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think for the latter comparison they will largely be criticized because of the fact so many consider them capable because of LBJ. It is pretty much expected that he will carry the team throughout the first couple of rounds - even quite possibly through the ECF as well. But, I think this season more teams are stepping up & sayin, no way. You will have to strategize to beat us.

I agree. Because it has become expected that Lebron will reach the finals. Which is kinda insane.

Reactions: LAD

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not complaining or criticizing.

You may not be criticizing, but you're definitely complaining.

I'm just stating the facts of what the narrative always is before and after the playoffs.

Your opinion about someone else's opinion does not equal fact.

Its not that complicated and I don't think its deniable.

And yet, here we are with folks denying it and disagreeing with your "facts".

I really don't care what people think about the Cavs or their chances.

Then why post about it?

Its just funny to see the same thing repeated year in and year out and people acting like its a completely new situation every year.

No one is acting like it's completely new.

The fact is, last year the Cavs had one of the worst defenses in the league for the entire regular season. Folks addressed that when making their playoff predictions and said that it could present a problem. Yet, they still said they expected the Cavs to represent the East because of Lebron.

The fact is, that this year, the Cavs looked terrible for much of the regular season (or at least as terrible as a team with Lebron on it can look), underwent a pretty significant roster change in the middle of the season, had Lebron playing the most minutes of any player in the league and after an initial bump from the new blood, look like they are the worst team since Lebron's return and the vast majority on here still said they expect the Cavs to come out of the East because of Lebron.

Heck, the Cavs got their asses kicked at home in game 1 yesterday, yet I'd be willing to bet that just about everyone on here still expects Lebron to find a way to get them to the finals.

There have been some fairly undeniable issues with the Cavs over the past couple of seasons. Folks include those issues when making their predictions, say it's likely to be more difficult this time, but they still expect Lebron to get them out of the East. That's nothing but an honest assessment of when what the Cavs have shown during the season and also a statement of just how great a player Lebron is.

Then when the Cavs get to the finals and they say..."I knew they'd get there." Well, they did. They predicted it. If someone said they had an easy time or an easier time than expected, that's both a compliment to the Cavs in general and Lebron in particular and also pointing out the rest of the East couldn't stand up to the Cavs.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The situation is different and the narrative is probably more warranted than ever. But at the end of the day its the same narrative, and I guarantee that if the Cavs make the Finals, that narrative will largely disappear, just like it always does.

If the narrative is that the Cavs don't look as strong, but are expected to make the finals anyway and they do...how is that a different narrative? It's exactly what the prediction was.

In place of credit for the Cavs getting the job done, it will turn to a disparagement of the eastern conference. I'd love to be wrong (and if the Cavs get bounced we'll never know), but I'm not.

Actually, you are wrong. At least in your interpretation. Despite having one of the worst defenses in the league last year, the Cavs still blew through the East losing what? 1 game? Did you expect people to talk about what tough road they had?

I mean sure, the Cavs obviously had a team that was still quite a bit better than the rest of the East and better than they showed in the regular season. That's a testament to how good the Cavs, particularly Lebron, actually were. But it's also a bit of an indictment on how bad the rest of the East was.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are the odds GS isn't criticized if they lose in round 1 or 2? Very low.

Hell, the Warriors were criticized for not finishing by winning the title the season they won 73 games. I was one of the ones who criticized them.

Reactions: LAD

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, trust me, I know you aren't a hater. I'm not arguing that the Cavs aren't in a different situation this year. Its definitely different with Kyrie being gone and all the knew Cavs players and the improvement of the Raptors and emergence of the Sixers.

The situation is different and the narrative is probably more warranted than ever. But at the end of the day its the same narrative, and I guarantee that if the Cavs make the Finals, that narrative will largely disappear, just like it always does.

In place of credit for the Cavs getting the job done, it will turn to a disparagement of the eastern conference. I'd love to be wrong (and if the Cavs get bounced we'll never know), but I'm not.
@ Gordon---

this is your post from last year....

gordontrueBandwagoner

Lo

You guys don't understand.

I don't want anyone gargling on the cavs balls are predicting great things for them.

If you really think the Cavs are vulnerable, then make a bold prediction. I'd rather you back up your constant "wow look how bad the Cavs defense is" and your "LOL cavs defense" and your "these struggles will catch up to them" with a prediction that actually matches that.

its been the same year in and year out....its just funny at this point.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@gordontrue

You'll get a kick out of this. I fully expected to be pulling for the Pacers yesterday. Yet, I don't know if it's because of everything that the Cavs have been through...or if it's because of Clarkson and Nance Jr. being on the team...or some combination of the 2.

But I was surprised to find myself kind of pulling for the Cavs yesterday. :L

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just out of curiosity

does anyone actually think anyone but the Cavs are coming out of the East?

as far as i can tell I have not seen 1 person go to the wall predicting anyone but the Cavs.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just out of curiosity

I don't. Until Lebron is no longer on the team or someone in the East actually beats them...I expect the Cavs to make it out.

If the Pacers or someone else goes up 3-0...I might start to have some doubt. lol

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't. Until Lebron is no longer on the team or someone in the East actually beats them...I expect the Cavs to make it out.
thats what im saying.

I mean- even as #2's go.....I am looking at the East- and what team has a better #2 than Kevin Love?

Maybe Simmons/Embiid if Embiid is healthy? Maybe Lowry to DeRozan's #1?

if anyone out there wants to take the field against the Cavs I will gladly bet them.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats what im saying.

I mean- even as #2's go.....I am looking at the East- and what team has a better #2 than Kevin Love?

Maybe Simmons/Embiid if Embiid is healthy? Maybe Lowry to DeRozan's #1?

if anyone out there wants to take the field against the Cavs I will gladly bet them.

I don't think even Lowry is a better #2 than Love. At least not when he's used like a #2, which I don't think happened yesterday.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@gordontrue

You'll get a kick out of this. I fully expected to be pulling for the Pacers yesterday. Yet, I don't know if it's because of everything that the Cavs have been through...or if it's because of Clarkson and Nance Jr. being on the team...or some combination of the 2.

But I was surprised to find myself kind of pulling for the Cavs yesterday. :L

I've really grown fond of both of those guys. They've been better than billed, imo, while Rodney Hood has been slightly disappointing.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've really grown fond of both of those guys. They've been better than billed, imo, while Rodney Hood has been slightly disappointing.

Yeah, you just have to keep your expectations realistic and Clarkson and Nance will rarely disappoint.

Nance is basically a younger, more athletic Tristan Thompson...he'll hustle, play defense and make the occasional "highlight reel dunk." To my knowledge, he also has no interest in any Kardashians. He's never going to be an all star, but you'll always be glad he's on your team.

Clarkson is a like a young Lou Williams. He's great for points off he bench...but if his shot isn't falling, you'll want to get him out of the game because he's not going to be a lot of help on defense. But when his shot is falling, he can really be a huge asset, especially running with your 2nd unit.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just out of curiosity

as far as i can tell I have not seen 1 person go to the wall predicting anyone but the Cavs.

Nope.

Still picking Cleveland.

But I won't be shocked if they lose this year. I would have been shocked if they lost last year. I know I said they were a bit vulnerable, as did others. To me, Being vulnerable means there is a chance the team could lose. This year, I think the Cavs are a bit more than vulnerable.

Saying they are 55% means they are still prohibitive favorites. They are. Last year the talent gap was large. The gap isn't there this year. The reason everyone, including me, is still picking Cleveland is because of LeBron.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope.

Still picking Cleveland.

But I won't be shocked if they lose this year. I would have been shocked if they lost last year. I know I said they were a bit vulnerable, as did others. To me, Being vulnerable means there is a chance the team could lose. This year, I think the Cavs are a bit more than vulnerable.

Saying they are 55% means they are still prohibitive favorites. They are. Last year the talent gap was large. The gap isn't there this year. The reason everyone, including me, is still picking Cleveland is because of LeBron.
cool

I was just checking.

Definitely didnt think anyone out there was picking anyone besides the Cavs---- but if there are--- I will DEF. take them up on it with an avatar bet!!

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cavs should never be counted out- As long as they have Lebron they'll be a contender-. I expect them to win Game 2 vs. Indiana handily.