• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 NBA playoffs

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure who said it was too easy. If, in fact, it was "too easy." I think that reflects more negatively on the rest of the East than it does on the Cavs.

The Cavs can only beat the teams that are put in front of them. If Lebron is so deep into those teams heads that these series seem over before they start, that's on those teams, not on the Cavs. Cavs are just doing their job.

Dorian consistently harps about how easy the Cavs have it. Apparently that is the standard Gordon is using.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@bksballer89

Ogunbowale, the Notre DAme women's basketball sniper, gets to compete on Dancing with the Stars, gets to keep the money if she wins, while maintaining her status as a student athlete.

I'm happy about this.

But, doesn't it kind of skirt the amateur athlete divider?

Can college athletes get paid to do shoe shoe commercials, public appearances etc?

I don't think they do or else we probably would have seen several of the top athletes in college do commercials/make public appearances.

That's a tricky one

It kind of skirts the rules, but not really. I'm not even sure if it would be considered a loophole. The reason is that it has nothing to do with the sport she got the scholarship for. Commercials/public appearances would be based on her playing basketball. This seems more like if she was a contestant on Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune or something.

If memory serves, there was a football player who was also an Olympic level skier and the NCAA ruled that he was allowed to keep the money he got from being an Olympic skier and keep his football eligibility because it was a completely different sport.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what's sensitive about it. Just the fact of how the general narrative goes everytime.

You are being dismissive of people who are offering their opinion of what is going to happen and arguing that the general consensus argument about the Cavs this year is the same as it was last year. It isn't. Last year the general consensus was that Lebron was going to turn it on in the playoffs and they would walk through the playoffs.

That consensus referred specifically to people being skeptical about the Celtics or Raptors being able to pose a real threat to the Cavs last year. I think people the Raptors are a much better team this year and the Sixers are a complete wildcard that could be a real problem for the Cavs.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It kind of skirts the rules, but not really. I'm not even sure if it would be considered a loophole. The reason is that it has nothing to do with the sport she got the scholarship for. Commercials/public appearances would be based on her playing basketball. This seems more like if she was a contestant on Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune or something.

If memory serves, there was a football player who was also an Olympic level skier and the NCAA ruled that he was allowed to keep the money he got from being an Olympic skier and keep his football eligibility because it was a completely different sport.
Yeah, game shows are a much better comparison.

Now I understand it.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what's sensitive about it. Just the fact of how the general narrative goes everytime.

It's being sensitive because you are claiming a change in narrative that doesn't exist and seeing criticism in what is actually a compliment.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, which is why I've been saying its disrespectful to the other teams in the East.

If the Cavs can essentially sleepwalk through the regular season, finish the regular season with one of the worst defenses in the league and still run roughshod over the East in the playoffs...exactly what respect do those other Eastern teams deserve?

Last edited:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dorian consistently harps about how easy the Cavs have it. Apparently that is the standard Gordon is using.

If Dorian is the standard...this board is in deep serious trouble. lol

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're being way too sensitive. Acknowledging that a team has had issues and therefore may be able to be beaten, but expecting them to make it out of their conference isn't hate and isn't changing a narrative.

Neither is, "I expect them to come out of their conference, but wouldn't be too surprised if they didn't this time."

For example, last year the Cavs defense was terrible all season long and that was a lot of the reason for the doubt. To their credit, they stepped up the defense in the playoffs enough to emerge from the East. But to act like there was no reason to doubt them going into the playoffs, based on that defense is changing the narrative.

This years Cavs look to be the worst of the Cavs team since Lebron's return and some other teams have stepped up and look like more of a threat. Yet, the majority of folks on here still expect Lebron to be able to get them to the finals. Not sure what narrative that's changing or how that qualifies as hate.

I'm not complaining or criticizing. I'm just stating the facts of what the narrative always is before and after the playoffs. Its not that complicated and I don't think its deniable.

I really don't care what people think about the Cavs or their chances. Its just funny to see the same thing repeated year in and year out and people acting like its a completely new situation every year.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lol, yeah, cause no one ever complains about the "cakewalk" in the east.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are being dismissive of people who are offering their opinion of what is going to happen and arguing that the general consensus argument about the Cavs this year is the same as it was last year. It isn't. Last year the general consensus was that Lebron was going to turn it on in the playoffs and they would walk through the playoffs.

That consensus referred specifically to people being skeptical about the Celtics or Raptors being able to pose a real threat to the Cavs last year. I think people the Raptors are a much better team this year and the Sixers are a complete wildcard that could be a real problem for the Cavs.
dude....lol.....trust me- good back and look at posts--- there was absolutely no "general consensus" the Cavs would just turn it on.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not complaining or criticizing. I'm just stating the facts of what the narrative always is before and after the playoffs. Its not that complicated and I don't think its deniable.

I really don't care what people think about the Cavs or their chances. Its just funny to see the same thing repeated year in and year out and people acting like its a completely new situation every year.
exactly---- shit- the first year LeBron was here people thought we would lose to the Hawks and picked the Hawks....every year its the same--- "the east is better" - "the cavs arent as good" "they are vulnerable" "there defense is bad"......every year the Cavs mow down the East.

maybe it will be different this year in how it plays out--- but the same exact narratives have been there year after year after year.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, yeah, cause no one ever complains about the "cakewalk" in the east.

Of course people say that. Mostly the Lebron haters who always look for reasons to diminish what he has done.

However that doesn't mean that this year is the same as year's past and to argue that is almost as ridiculous as arguing that Lebron gets a cake walk every year.

I'm not, in any way, a Lebron or Cavs hater. If the Cavs make the finals this year it will be their best achievement during Lebron's 2nd stint with the club. The competition will be tougher and the Cavs are not as good.

It is entirely possible that the Cavs will need to beat the Pacers then the Raptors then the Sixers. If that does happen then I think it will be a huge achievement.

OTOH, if the Raptors and Sixers both flame out and the Cavs wind up playing the Wizards and and Heat in the finals which would still be an achievement but a lesser one.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course people say that. Mostly the Lebron haters who always look for reasons to diminish what he has done.

However that doesn't mean that this year is the same as year's past and to argue that is almost as ridiculous as arguing that Lebron gets a cake walk every year.

I'm not, in any way, a Lebron or Cavs hater. If the Cavs make the finals this year it will be their best achievement during Lebron's 2nd stint with the club. The competition will be tougher and the Cavs are not as good.

It is entirely possible that the Cavs will need to beat the Pacers then the Raptors then the Sixers. If that does happen then I think it will be a huge achievement.

OTOH, if the Raptors and Sixers both flame out and the Cavs wind up playing the Wizards and and Heat in the finals which would still be an achievement but a lesser one.

Yeah, trust me, I know you aren't a hater. I'm not arguing that the Cavs aren't in a different situation this year. Its definitely different with Kyrie being gone and all the knew Cavs players and the improvement of the Raptors and emergence of the Sixers.

The situation is different and the narrative is probably more warranted than ever. But at the end of the day its the same narrative, and I guarantee that if the Cavs make the Finals, that narrative will largely disappear, just like it always does.

In place of credit for the Cavs getting the job done, it will turn to a disparagement of the eastern conference. I'd love to be wrong (and if the Cavs get bounced we'll never know), but I'm not.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, trust me, I know you aren't a hater. I'm not arguing that the Cavs aren't in a different situation this year. Its definitely different with Kyrie being gone and all the knew Cavs players and the improvement of the Raptors and emergence of the Sixers.

The situation is different and the narrative is probably more warranted than ever. But at the end of the day its the same narrative, and I guarantee that if the Cavs make the Finals, that narrative will largely disappear, just like it always does.

In place of credit for the Cavs getting the job done, it will turn to a disparagement of the eastern conference. I'd love to be wrong (and if the Cavs get bounced we'll never know), but I'm not.

The haters look for whatever they can find. They most certainly will criticize Lebron if they get bounced early, which they already started to do. And if they make the finals they will say that the Eastern conference is soft. It's what they do. And I'll absolutely criticize that narrative because it is complete horseshit.

I would argue that the top 4 teams, right now, are the Warriors, Rockets, Raptors, Sixers in that order. There is likely a pretty solid gap between 2 and 3 in that ranking. The Cavs and Thunder are kinda unknown teams that I think could both make the finals but also could get bounced in the 1st round.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The haters look for whatever they can find. They most certainly will criticize Lebron if they get bounced early, which they already started to do. And if they make the finals they will say that the Eastern conference is soft. It's what they do. And I'll absolutely criticize that narrative because it is complete horseshit.

I would argue that the top 4 teams, right now, are the Warriors, Rockets, Raptors, Sixers in that order. There is likely a pretty solid gap between 2 and 3 in that ranking. The Cavs and Thunder are kinda unknown teams that I think could both make the finals but also could get bounced in the 1st round.
To be fair, I think ALL top teams that get bounced early in the post season have been criticized. What are the odds GS isn't criticized if they lose in round 1 or 2? Very low.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every year for the past 3 has been "different".

I agree that this might be the most vulnerable team the Cavs have had over the last 4 years... I just think the narrative of the past is revisionist history. Calling the Cavs chances at 100% or 95% the last couple years is stupid. And just cause the Cavs showed up and got the job done doesn't make it correct.

Go back and read ANY thread on here from the past few years going into the playoffs and you'll see the Hawks and the Raptors and the Celtics and the Bulls and the Wizards getting respect. You'll see talk of the Cavs defensive issues and how they'll "probably" win it, but "I wouldn't be surprised" if they don't. They show those teams respect until the Cavs win the East, then they show those teams complete disrespect calling it a cakewalk. Everyone's tune changes to "I always knew they were gonna win".

Its the same damn thing every year.

The Cavs were much better than all challengers the last 2 years. The only way they weren't winning the East was injury to LeBron, or major injury to 2 or more other key players. THey we're hands down better. It isn't revisionist history because everyone here said they were going to the Finals before the season started.

This year is much different.

LOL at you saying 100% from '16 is way too high and 55% too low for this year. 55% might be too high. They were stone cold locks in '16. Last year they were darn close to it. They aren't nearly as good this year.

By the way, I had the Warriors at 100% last year. Obviously that assumes avoiding catastrophic injuries.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dude....lol.....trust me- good back and look at posts--- there was absolutely no "general consensus" the Cavs would just turn it on.

There was some lingering doubt last year. Some thought the Cavs might get upset because they weren't playing well.

Everyone knew they were by far the best team. This year, I am not sure they are.

Reactions: LAD

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, I think ALL top teams that get bounced early in the post season have been criticized. What are the odds GS isn't criticized if they lose in round 1 or 2? Very low.

Oh sure. And that is to be expected. If the Cavs get bounced in the 1st round they deserve to be criticized.

If they lose to the Raptors in the 2nd round? Do they really deserve to be criticized because they lose to a 59 win team that is the #1 seed?

Reactions: LAD

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was some lingering doubt last year. Some thought the Cavs might get upset because they weren't playing well.

Everyone knew they were by far the best team. This year, I am not sure they are.
Last year they were able to "flip the switch". I remember them being able to do so being much of the debate once the reg season ended. So far in game 1 not so much. They can't seem to excel on both ends of the court simultaneously.