• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 NBA offseason

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,756.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,756.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure when I have ever hyped up Simmons as "my boy."

He's somebody @WiggyRuss reads religiously. Not me.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey i totally admit- i didnt think he would go there alone. I was DEFINITELY wrong about that.

To be fair, while he did technically come here without another max guy, he probably knows (and I'm sure Magic sold it this way) that the fact that he's here likely increases the chance that someone will come next year. The 2 most viable FA's for this year, made their choices before Lebron revealed his.

You have LeBron still in his prime (for at least another year or two). Is that title or bust?

Yes, but the timetable is different. When he went to Miami and returned to Cleveland, he was joining 2 max level players. That meant that it was title or bust from day 1.

The Lakers don't have and didn't get another max guy, let alone 2, so that means that this year isn't about title or bust.

But a title is expected within the next 4 years. So, in that respect, it is title or bust.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What part of he didn't want to be a Laker don't you understand?

Not to mention he was in a contract year and last season could have been fools gold.

I agree with part of Simmons' take though. Randle was an asset under team control. If he truly wanted out, he could play the season out under the tender and become a UFA next summer. I hate losing Randle, but losing him as a controlled asset makes it even worse. He is exactly the missing piece from their roster right now IMO; a small ball C/PF that can switch defensively, rebound, and play some bully ball in the paint.

That said, KCP was long agreed to before Randle and a package deal essentially with Lebron. The player signed with that space was Rondo (and later Lance, who otherwise would've used the room exception). So, Simmons point is only half accurate, lol.

Reactions: DJ

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you posted this about LeBron back in 2017.

"Yes. The instant Lebron agreed to return to Cleveland, the Cavs became championship or bust every season he is there. He's closer to the end of his career than the beginning and his legacy is extremely important to him. Legacies are built on rings and Lebron doesn't have enough yet. It's why he made sure Wiggins was shipped off to Minny for Love and why he's cried all season long about not having enough help."

""Not even close. I realize "The Land" wears losing like a badge of honor, but 2-4 or 2-5 in the finals isn't even close to successful on a major level. It's "Championship or bust" not "Runner up or bust."

So, in LA, are you saying its not title or bust because they arent that good this year? What makes it different in LA then in Cleveland?

Seriously? You actually think this is some kind of "gotcha".

My reasons for stating it was championship or bust in both of those places are the exact reasons that you posted in post #4261. Literally, exactly the same.

How many max guys, other than Lebron, do the Lakers have right now?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And we know how Cousins thinks - if they passed on giving him the chance to prove himself this season why would he go there next season when he's fully healthy? I wouldn't be surprised if he plays somewhere else just to spite them.

Maybe because no one gave him a chance and the one team that did...can't re-sign him if he looks to be back to at least close to his previous level.

Literally, anywhere he goes besides the Warriors will be to a team that didn't take a chance on him.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
because fuck LeBron.

I am glad he is likely to never win another title. He just purposefully burned one of his last prime years to get some hype for his movie career.

Apparently "title or bust" turned into "oscar or bust"

lol
Why fuck LeBron, because he left? Was he ever gonna win another in Cleveland?

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,756.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with part of Simmons' take though. Randle was an asset under team control. If he truly wanted out, he could play the season out under the tender and become a UFA next summer. I hate losing Randle, but losing him as a controlled asset makes it even worse. He is exactly the missing piece from their roster right now IMO; a small ball C/PF that can switch defensively, rebound, and play some bully ball in the paint.

That said, KCP was long agreed to before Randle and a package deal essentially with Lebron. The player signed with that space was Rondo (and later Lance, who otherwise would've used the room exception). So, Simmons point is only half accurate, lol.

What I heard was Randle got butt-hurt about a reduced role in the offense with all the new pieces....

I agree with KCP being a package deal....

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously? You actually think this is some kind of "gotcha".

My reasons for stating it was championship or bust in both of those places are the exact reasons that you posted in post #4261. Literally, exactly the same.

How many max guys, other than Lebron, do the Lakers have right now?
so you are saying that Cleveland was "title or bust" because it had good players aroudn LeBron, and LA is not title or bust, because they odnt have good players aroudn LeBron?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What Simmons fails to grasp is that Randle was always going to be a cap casualty. Doesn't matter if it was this year or next.

The Lakers were always going to have to renounce him to open the cap space they needed.

Would I rather have Randle than KCP? Of course, but it was never realistic to think the Lakers could keep him. It also would have done him a disservice to treat him like some 1 year guy like KCP. He's earned better than that.

Signing him to a longer term deal didn't make a lot of sense either because they would have to try and trade him. The way they have their salaries set up right now, they will be able to clear cap space in about 90 seconds. Having to trade Randle would make that a bit more problematic.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so you are saying that Cleveland was "title or bust" because it had good players aroudn LeBron, and LA is not title or bust, because they odnt have good players aroudn LeBron?

If you can't tell the difference between joining 2 max level guys and joining a team of unproven kids...you should probably just quit watching basketball altogether and should definitely give up posting about it.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fuck lebron because he left again.

and i dont even think its out of the question he comes back again 3-4 years down the line.

but for now--- i hope he loses every game he plays.

the ONLY thing that makes me feel a LIL bit better if he were to win is that he would have a greater claim on best ever - which would be cool to have a Cav regarded as the Best to ever Play.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Simmons fails to grasp is that Randle was always going to be a cap casualty. Doesn't matter if it was this year or next.

The Lakers were always going to have to renounce him to open the cap space they needed.

Would I rather have Randle than KCP? Of course, but it was never realistic to think the Lakers could keep him. It also would have done him a disservice to treat him like some 1 year guy like KCP. He's earned better than that.

Signing him to a longer term deal didn't make a lot of sense either because they would have to try and trade him. The way they have their salaries set up right now, they will be able to clear cap space in about 90 seconds. Having to trade Randle would make that a bit more problematic.

I'll take problematic if it means retaining a trade chip. I don't agree that he would need to be moved either. If he's part of a successful first season with Lebron (not a ship, but a good playoff run), the negative b.s. that he's carrying should fall away. It seems fueled by some perceived beef with Walton over PT (although Walton's usage drove Randle's improvement last year) and bad blood with Randle's agent.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know. It woudlve depended on the Warriors.

I am kind of bummed because his legacy is going to take a hit if he cant get out of the first round of the playoffs- but also will be glad- kind of a catch 22.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fuck lebron because he left again.

and i dont even think its out of the question he comes back again 3-4 years down the line.

but for now--- i hope he loses every game he plays.

the ONLY thing that makes me feel a LIL bit better if he were to win is that he would have a greater claim on best ever - which would be cool to have a Cav regarded as the Best to ever Play.
Man you are one petty rooting for laundry kind of guy. It's not like he left on bad terms is it? He was your daddy and now you hate him.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know. It woudlve depended on the Warriors.

I am kind of bummed because his legacy is going to take a hit if he cant get out of the first round of the playoffs- but also will be glad- kind of a catch 22.
Man you are all over the place. You hope he loses every game but also worry he won't get out of the first round LOL

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take problematic if it means retaining a trade chip. I don't agree that he would need to be moved either. If he's part of a successful first season with Lebron (not a ship, but a good playoff run), the negative b.s. that he's carrying should fall away. It seems fueled by some perceived beef with Walton over PT (although Walton's usage drove Randle's improvement last year) and bad blood with Randle's agent.
the thing is i think RAndle is precisely the type of player they need- a guy that is going to get a bunch of defensive rebounds and provide some toughness.

Kuzma, Wagner, McGee, Zubac is an extremely young, soft, finesse oriented frontcourt.

A guy like Randle, who is both young, but also has multiple years of experience under his belt and is just entering his prime- seems like the ideal type of guy id put around a 34 year old LeBron. Randle will be 24 in November--- thats kind of an ideal age to start playing with LEbron--let him play with LEBron this year- and then next year- right when Randle is getting into his prime at age 25 they kind of go.

A 21 year old dude might still improve, but when do guys hit their prime? 25 at the earliest?

4 years from now when Ingram is just beginning to enter his prime it will be close to bringing LeBron out back behind the shed and putting him down with a shotgun time.