• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 NBA offseason

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All this to cover up the Cavs current situation?

You'd be lying to yourself if you said you didn't want James back for 1-2 more seasons.
of course i would want him back.

but a few things make me feel better in my moping

1. he won a championship this time in Cleveland- and won it in grand fashion, breaking the Cleveland Curse and pulling off the Greatest Comeback in NBA History.

2. he wont win dick with the Lakers this year- might not get out of the first round and in all likelihood wont make it out of the 2nd round

3. hes 34 in December and has more miles on him than any player that has ever played the game at his age. Having said that- he is a freak that cant be judged on the same scale as others- and thats why i think he will still be the best player in the world for the next 1-2 years even though the following season will be his age 35 season- which is absurd to be the best player in the world at that age- but as he is a freak i still think he has that chance to be the best player for 2 more years.

4. He spent 11 years in Cleveland total. He will go into the Hall of Fame as a Cav- indisputably.

5. The Warriors

6. When he signed with the Heat he signed with 2 all stars- Wade and Bosh in their primes. When he signed with Cleveland he teamed up with Irving and Love- 2 all stars just entering their primes. In LA he signed with Rajon Rondo and KCP.

7. Next year's free agent class- if they can't get Kawhi- who do they get? I think Kyrie and Butler are teaming up. Klay MIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT stay. Cousins is coming off a torn achilees. If Kawhi goes to Philly- just who goes to LA next summer? Definitely no guarantee they get any of the big guys.

If the Lakers face the Jazz or Thunder in a playoff series I honestly think its a coin flip at best.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers are not contenders.

Stop it.

You are a playoff Team.

But, as currently constructed, you aren't a favorite to make it to the WCF, let alone the Championship.

LeBron still reigns supreme.

But, last year's Cavs team won a single game against the Warriors in the Finals.

He had a healthy Kyrie and Kevin Love.

You don't have a Kevin Love on your roster, let alone a player of Kyrie's caliber.

If he got the gentlemen's sweep with Kyrie, having sidekicks like Rondo and Lance isn't going to get it done.

I admit that I am rooting and betting against you having any more parades in the near future.

Right now, I feel pretty secure making that bet.

Exactly. People, not just Lakers fans, but media as well, need to get off of this "the Lakers are a contender" nonsense.

The Lakers are NOT a contender this year and there is no intention for them to be a contender this year.

Could they turn into a contender this year? Sure. But for that to happen, we are going to have to see tremendous improvement from the kids. I mean, beyond the natural improvement that's expected from them. Rondo will have to play all season like he did in the playoffs and Lance will have to be Pacers Lance, not the Lance we've seen everywhere else and Lebron will have to be Lebron.

I think the only thing we can bank on is that Lebron will be Lebron.

The whole point of this year is to see what they have, especially among the kids, so that they know what to add (along with another max guy) to be contenders after this coming season.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. People, not just Lakers fans, but media as well, need to get off of this "the Lakers are a contender" nonsense.

The Lakers are NOT a contender this year and there is no intention for them to be a contender this year.

Could they turn into a contender this year? Sure. But for that to happen, we are going to have to see tremendous improvement from the kids. I mean, beyond the natural improvement that's expected from them. Rondo will have to play all season like he did in the playoffs and Lance will have to be Pacers Lance, not the Lance we've seen everywhere else and Lebron will have to be Lebron.

The whole point of this year is to see what they have, especially among the kids, so that they know what to add (along with another max guy) to be contenders after this coming season.
Yeah, I can see a top 4 finish just by virtue of having LeBron, the kiddie corps improving.

But, I think the Warriors are just a tier above everyone else.

That's not a knock on any other team.

If things break right next Summer, and you get one of Butler/Klay/Kawhi while keeping the kiddie corps......

Things will look mighty different.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2. he wont win dick with the Lakers this year- might not get out of the first round and in all likelihood wont make it out of the 2nd round

Agree. The Lakers are building to be contenders within the next 3 years. Not this year.

3. hes 34 in December and has more miles on him than any player that has ever played the game at his age. Having said that- he is a freak that cant be judged on the same scale as others- and thats why i think he will still be the best player in the world for the next 1-2 years even though the following season will be his age 35 season- which is absurd to be the best player in the world at that age- but as he is a freak i still think he has that chance to be the best player for 2 more years.

I've about given up on predicting when Father Time will be catching up to him. Gun to my head, I'd say he has 2 more years left as the best in the game (maybe 3 if he can get the rest I hope he does this year) and then 2 or so more as a top 10 player.

4. He spent 11 years in Cleveland total. He will go into the Hall of Fame as a Cav- indisputably.

Yeah, he could win a title every season that he's with the Lakers and I think he'd still go in as a Cav.

5. The Warriors

Not all that concerned about the Warriors. I think things will be changing a bit with them starting next off-season. The Lakers seem to be preparing as much for them losing guys as competing directly with them.

6. When he signed with the Heat he signed with 2 all stars- Wade and Bosh in their primes. When he signed with Cleveland he teamed up with Irving and Love- 2 all stars just entering their primes. In LA he signed with Rajon Rondo and KCP.

And? That along with signing a 4 year deal shows he trusts Magic and Pelinka more than he ever trusted Dan Gilbert.

7. Next year's free agent class- if they can't get Kawhi- who do they get? I think Kyrie and Butler are teaming up. Klay MIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT stay. Cousins is coming off a torn achilees. If Kawhi goes to Philly- just who goes to LA next summer? Definitely no guarantee they get any of the big guys.

I like their chances of getting one of those guys with Lebron than without him. Especially if the young guys improve.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I can see a top 4 finish just by virtue of having LeBron, the kiddie corps improving.

If things break right next Summer, and you get one of Butler/Klay/Kawhi while keeping the kiddie corps......

I think Butler and Kyrie will play together.

I have been on the record since day 1 saying i think Kawhi goes to the *Sixers

I ahve been told how stupid i am over and over for saying I dont think the Warriors will keep Klay.

who goes to LA next summer, gun to your head, if you had to guess Mecca?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

so even though you have LeBron, its not "title or bust"?

hmmm interesting. Where have i seen that argument before?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep. This year, I want to see the kids improve, the Lakers get to the playoffs and make a little bit of noise. By little bit of noise, I mean, depending on seeding and opponent, pushing a 1st or 2nd round series to 6 or 7 games. There isn't and shouldn't be any expectation of taking down the Warriors.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Butler and Kyrie will play together.

I have been on the record since day 1 saying i think Kawhi goes to the *Sixers

I ahve been told how stupid i am over and over for saying I dont think the Warriors will keep Klay.

who goes to LA next summer, gun to your head, if you had to guess Mecca?

Jimmy Butler actually really fits the mold of what it looks like the Lakers are trying to build, in terms of competing with the Warriors. Of course they will go after Klay too and he should be the priority over Butler. Then you have Kawhi, but you don't know what's going to happen based on where he is traded to. If he goes to say the Sixers, the chances he might leave for LA become that much more diminished based on their success.

I think they'll make it a priority to go after JB though, unless there is conclusive evidence they have to think Klay will make the move. The reason is, you can't prioritize Klay and then use Butler as a backup in case he doesn't want to come. That will eliminate to options at the very start.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so even though you have LeBron, its not "title or bust"?

hmmm interesting. Where have i seen that argument before?

Really?!? You literally posted the difference in post #4261.

I realize that you are struggling with the fact that Lebron came to the Lakers without another max player (which you said will never happen) and that the Lakers didn't immediately trade all of their young assets (which you assured us would happen) and that he signed a longer deal than he was ever willing to in Cleveland.

To be fair, no one thought he was coming to the Lakers without another max guy, but you were the most adamant that it wouldn't happen.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit aren't you a moody one
This from the one that quoted a handful of my posts the other day with the assumption I said LBJ went to LA to quit on his team.

#PotCallingTheKettleBlack

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's exactly my point. When has a full-effort Lebron season not resulted in a contender? The Lakers aren't going to be favorites, but they are clearly contenders.

I understand the butthurt that you must feel, given that you abandoned your team over one of the biggest free agency signings of all time. Some Gold Bond might help with that...
The fact that you can't even understand the difference of him being in Cle vs. LA tells me this conversation is over.

#TimeVindicates

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@LAD haS always been a Lakers fan.....and since she lives in NorCal..... supported GS also.

It's kind of not you to personally attack another poster.
Personal attacks usually happen when someone can't debate the actual facts because said facts are usually in favor of the other person.

I appreciate the support @DJ but it's pretty common practice here. You know that. :)

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@LAD haS always been a Lakers fan.....and since she lives in NorCal..... supported GS also.

It's kind of not you to personally attack another poster.

I have a tough time with fans that dump their team.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personal attacks usually happen when someone can't debate the actual facts because said facts are usually in favor of the other person.

I appreciate the support @DJ but it's pretty common practice here. You know that. :)

Actual facts? We were arguing about a season that hasn't happened yet. Please share your crystal ball...

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I understand your position and have your back too...

'sides, SOMEONE'S gotta protect you from DJ...:lol:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lebron by himself guarantees you 45 to 50 wins every year. He's that damn good no matter who you surround him with. If Ingram takes "the leap" that historically happens to a lot all stars in their 3rd year, I can see it being a couple of games more. But that's the absolute ceiling. Where that is in the West, who knows. 50 wins could put you in the 6th seed. But that's the most likely outcome. Somewhere in that win range with a chance to win a playoff series but you're really pushing it for anything more. The roster just isn't good enough as is to expect more. The other FA signings don't move the needle at all and you have to make a lot of assumptions across a bunch of young guys to reach any higher goals.