• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 NBA offseason

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here but there are way too many SG on this roster and we may be adding another one assuming Wade wants to play another season.

Something tells me Rodney McGruder won't be on the roster

Which would be a mistake with his salary.
We need to get rid of Tyler or Waiters.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I prefer to get rid of Tyler because Waiters is better and is contract isn't bad at all. Only issue is him staying healthy

I really like the toughness, defense, hustle that Tyler brings, but its stupid money the way the Nets structured it.
If I recall, Heat wanted to even it out but Tyler refused because he felt he should honor the original deal he agreed to.

For perspective, Johnson’s $19.2 million for this upcoming season ranks him 41st on the NBA’s salary list for 2018-19, barely behind Kyrie Irving and Kawhi Leonard and ahead of All-Stars including John Wall, Klay Thompson, Goran Dragic, Draymond Green and Kemba Walker.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said he wouldn't give full effort so you & @Shaqdaddy11

That's exactly my point. When has a full-effort Lebron season not resulted in a contender? The Lakers aren't going to be favorites, but they are clearly contenders.

I understand the butthurt that you must feel, given that you abandoned your team over one of the biggest free agency signings of all time. Some Gold Bond might help with that...

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like the toughness, defense, hustle that Tyler brings, but its stupid money the way the Nets structured it.
If I recall, Heat wanted to even it out but Tyler refused because he felt he should honor the original deal he agreed to.

For perspective, Johnson’s $19.2 million for this upcoming season ranks him 41st on the NBA’s salary list for 2018-19, barely behind Kyrie Irving and Kawhi Leonard and ahead of All-Stars including John Wall, Klay Thompson, Goran Dragic, Draymond Green and Kemba Walker.

That's retarded on TJ's part if true. If the Heat had the opportunity to even his contract out, he'd be making around $14-$15 mil per year and the Heat wouldn't be presumably trying to trade him because he's a bad contract.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
surprise surprise...i found this funny. Obviously you do not have to read if you dont want to

https://deadspin.com/lakers-gm-well...ter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true

On the other hand, a thing that seems to come with the job—particularly once you’ve used its advantages to score LeBron—is the expectation that the Lakers will pursue the championship with unique immediacy, not six years from now but now; there is no Process Trusting in Los Angeles. And that means that when you sign friggin’ JaVale McGee and friggin’ Rajon Rondo and friggin’ Lance Stephenson, in 2018, when none of them are, uh, good, you will have to stand in front of a room of reporters and explain that you did this to beat the best basketball team in history.

I can’t decide whether it’s a credit to current Lakers GM Rob Pelinka that when he says things like We signed Lance Stephenson because Michael Jordan won rings with Dennis Rodman on his team, and It’s okay that if you add together the jump-shooting range of everybody on our team it still doesn’t reach all the way to the three-point line, because we’ll beat the Golden State Warriors by mean-mugging and doing fast-breaks a lot, it seems like he might actually believe it. (For that matter, even if it is a credit to him, I’m not sure whether I’m crediting him with sincere optimism or acting ability.) In either case, I do not share those sentiments. In fact I am beginning to feel quite nervous about the 2018-19 Lakers.

This isn’t the first time they’ve done something like this, you know. Back in 2014, the Lakers went into Kobe Bryant’s age-36 season with a trash roster featuring, in vital roles, such hilarious mutants as Carlos Boozer, Jordan Hill, Ronnie Price, and Wes Johnson. Being the Lakers—and particularly the late-Kobe Lakers, as invested in the Mamba mythology as in anything else at that point—they had to pretend this was intentional, the next iteration of Laker Greatness and not the green-glowing radioactive fallout left behind by the meltdown of the previous one, and so there was coach Byron Scott, insisting the team didn’t need things like “shooting” and “skill” and “not Carlos Boozer” because it would be winning with defense and toughness and, uh, turning down open three-pointers to attack the basket, for some reason.

They sold it—or tried to—as a return to “Showtime” basketball, the runnin’-and-dunkin’ stuff the team rode to multiple championships in the 1980s (when it also at any given time had something like five or six of the NBA’s top 20 players on the roster). Then they won one of their first 10 games, and, uh, 20 of the 72 after that, and not the championship.

Make no mistake: Starting with LeBron, still the NBA’s best player by miles at 33 years old, these Lakers are better in every imaginable way than that clown car of a squad. The possibility they’ll clean out the cupboards to pull off a Kawhi Leonard trade notwithstanding, they have a nice stock of promising youths: Lonzo Ball, Kyle Kuzma, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, and hell, even Ivica Zubac. Barring any two of LeBron’s limbs falling off, they seem like a safe bet to claim a playoff spot even in the absurdly stacked Western Conference, and LeBron would be a threat in the postseason even with any dozen randomly selected vagrants as his teammates.

But, yeah, if only this week—if only for the duration of that press conference, and never thereafter—I am relieved not to be the general manager of the Los Angeles Lakers. I don’t think I could tell you, with a straight face, that Lance Stephenson is Dennis Rodman and therefore the 2018-19 Los Angeles Lakers have any kind of meaningful chance to defeat the Golden State Warriors. I think you’d be able to tell that I was joking.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

they would have had to "even it out" before he signed the offer sheet.

I suppose he could have gone to Miami and said- "I have this crazy offer sheet- do you want to give me the same money but restructured?"--- but I imagine that asshole saw a contract worth like 50 million bucks or whatever it was and signed it as fast as humanely possible before they realized that they were offering Tyler Johnson 50 million bucks and had the good sense to retract the offer (and i mean asshole in the most endearing way possible).

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's retarded on TJ's part if true. If the Heat had the opportunity to even his contract out, he'd be making around $14-$15 mil per year and the Heat wouldn't be presumably trying to trade him because he's a bad contract.

"I was like almost 100 percent sure I was going to end up in Brooklyn," Johnson said Monday. "But, yeah, it's an incredible feeling. And I'm excited to get back to work."

The whirlwind was so absolute that Johnson said he never had a chance to reset the structure of his contract that now stands so onerous to the Heat, with $19 million salaries in each of the last two years. By the time the Heat suggested something closer to a $12.5 million split in each of the four years, Johnson said he already had given his word to the Nets to sign the offer sheet as originally drafted.

"It was very late in the process," he said. "I had already kind of come to the assumption that everything was going to play out the way it didn't, really, like they were going to re-sign Dwyane and everything. I think that kind of threw a wrench in everything. It was only a matter of an hour and a half where I had to make the decision of either signing an offer sheet that I kind of committed to or just not signing and restructure a new deal.

"Obviously I opted to sign it and keep the commitment I made to Brooklyn. And Miami still showed how much they wanted me to be a part of their team by matching."

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they would have had to "even it out" before he signed the offer sheet.

I suppose he could have gone to Miami and said- "I have this crazy offer sheet- do you want to give me the same money but restructured?"--- but I imagine that asshole saw a contract worth like 50 million bucks or whatever it was and signed it as fast as humanely possible before they realized that they were offering Tyler Johnson 50 million bucks and had the good sense to retract the offer (and i mean asshole in the most endearing way possible).

I should have quoted this instead of @Heatles84

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should have quoted this instead of @Heatles84
Having Whiteside and TJ make a combined almost 45M this year is positively brutal.

Cavs do have JR, TT and Hill making a combined 52M so i guess its all relative- but at least JR and Hill are, for all intents and purposes, in the last year of their deals.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having Whiteside and TJ make a combined almost 45M this year is positively brutal.

Cavs do have JR, TT and Hill making a combined 52M so i guess its all relative- but at least JR and Hill are, for all intents and purposes, in the last year of their deals.

The funny thing is, you would think teams would learn from the bad deals signed during that salary cap jump year. However, with a lot of teams expected to have a lot of cap space next summer, expect a bunch more of these bad deals. These front offices just can't help themselves.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
surprise surprise...i found this funny. Obviously you do not have to read if you dont want to

https://deadspin.com/lakers-gm-well...ter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true

On the other hand, a thing that seems to come with the job—particularly once you’ve used its advantages to score LeBron—is the expectation that the Lakers will pursue the championship with unique immediacy, not six years from now but now; there is no Process Trusting in Los Angeles. And that means that when you sign friggin’ JaVale McGee and friggin’ Rajon Rondo and friggin’ Lance Stephenson, in 2018, when none of them are, uh, good, you will have to stand in front of a room of reporters and explain that you did this to beat the best basketball team in history.

I can’t decide whether it’s a credit to current Lakers GM Rob Pelinka that when he says things like We signed Lance Stephenson because Michael Jordan won rings with Dennis Rodman on his team, and It’s okay that if you add together the jump-shooting range of everybody on our team it still doesn’t reach all the way to the three-point line, because we’ll beat the Golden State Warriors by mean-mugging and doing fast-breaks a lot, it seems like he might actually believe it. (For that matter, even if it is a credit to him, I’m not sure whether I’m crediting him with sincere optimism or acting ability.) In either case, I do not share those sentiments. In fact I am beginning to feel quite nervous about the 2018-19 Lakers.

This isn’t the first time they’ve done something like this, you know. Back in 2014, the Lakers went into Kobe Bryant’s age-36 season with a trash roster featuring, in vital roles, such hilarious mutants as Carlos Boozer, Jordan Hill, Ronnie Price, and Wes Johnson. Being the Lakers—and particularly the late-Kobe Lakers, as invested in the Mamba mythology as in anything else at that point—they had to pretend this was intentional, the next iteration of Laker Greatness and not the green-glowing radioactive fallout left behind by the meltdown of the previous one, and so there was coach Byron Scott, insisting the team didn’t need things like “shooting” and “skill” and “not Carlos Boozer” because it would be winning with defense and toughness and, uh, turning down open three-pointers to attack the basket, for some reason.

They sold it—or tried to—as a return to “Showtime” basketball, the runnin’-and-dunkin’ stuff the team rode to multiple championships in the 1980s (when it also at any given time had something like five or six of the NBA’s top 20 players on the roster). Then they won one of their first 10 games, and, uh, 20 of the 72 after that, and not the championship.

Make no mistake: Starting with LeBron, still the NBA’s best player by miles at 33 years old, these Lakers are better in every imaginable way than that clown car of a squad. The possibility they’ll clean out the cupboards to pull off a Kawhi Leonard trade notwithstanding, they have a nice stock of promising youths: Lonzo Ball, Kyle Kuzma, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, and hell, even Ivica Zubac. Barring any two of LeBron’s limbs falling off, they seem like a safe bet to claim a playoff spot even in the absurdly stacked Western Conference, and LeBron would be a threat in the postseason even with any dozen randomly selected vagrants as his teammates.

But, yeah, if only this week—if only for the duration of that press conference, and never thereafter—I am relieved not to be the general manager of the Los Angeles Lakers. I don’t think I could tell you, with a straight face, that Lance Stephenson is Dennis Rodman and therefore the 2018-19 Los Angeles Lakers have any kind of meaningful chance to defeat the Golden State Warriors. I think you’d be able to tell that I was joking.

All this to cover up the Cavs current situation?

You'd be lying to yourself if you said you didn't want James back for 1-2 more seasons.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:lol:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's finally the DAY.....!!!!!!

friday-the-13th-jason-voorhees.jpg

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lin to the Hawks....

#TimenotvindicatingtheDeej

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually love the Thomas to Denver signing.

Outside of Harris and Milsap, they won't play a drop of defense.

But, Damn they are going to be high scoring and hella fun to watch.

The old school Nuggets with Doug Moe as HC?

Damn, I feel old this AM.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm a FA, I'm actually going to the Nets among the two. The Nets were miserable for the last few years because the Pierce/KG trade blew up in their faces and Billy King set them back for years. But by all accounts, the Nets' owner is one that's really aggressive and wants to win immediately. As an NBA player, I wouldn't want any part of Dolan.

Butler and Irving to the Nets....wouldn't surprise me if the Knicks also target those 2.