• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Draft...way too early talk

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FS candidate.

The Penn St. kid Marcus Allen is fairly consistent on the early big boards. Draftwire is mocking him to PIT in round 1...not a bad choice.

2018 NFL mock draft: 4-round projections heading into Senior Bowl week
So far I have a hard time trusting this Allen kid's projections. They range anywhere from late 1st to 3rd or even 4th (106th Rk on cbs, 17th on WF). Haven't seen much tape yet, but early analysis that I've read tab him as more of a SS type. Really good run defender, but that could be the scheme & usage. Still a gamble to assume he can handle the centerfielder position. "Solid but unspectacular". Need to see more tape.

I'm liking the Justin Reid kid from Stanford. He & Minkah Fitzpatrick seem like the top 2 FS in the draft. Both are more polished in the coverage department. Don't think the Steelers would have a shot at Fitz. Reid was also used in the slot. Judging by the Pac-12 championship game, I would say he's better suited at FS. He got abused by USC when playing in the slot against the smaller & faster receivers. Playing at FS he displays great awareness.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with Grimble re-signed if available in the mid rounds I see the Steelers taking:

Troy Fumagalli, Wisconsin, Tight End

There are discussions of him going as high as the second round which i hope the Steelers don't waste a pick on that when LB, FS I think should be addressed earlier.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with Grimble re-signed if available in the mid rounds I see the Steelers taking:

There are discussions of him going as high as the second round which i hope the Steelers don't waste a pick on that when LB, FS I think should be addressed earlier.
I agree. TE shouldn't even be on the radar until the 3rd Rd at the highest. If McDonald can stay healthy (and doesn't become a cap casualty) they have a fairly solid group. I even liked what I saw from PS incumbent Jake McGee last year.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From the little I've seen, I like this kid...if it came down to a bpa situation in the 2nd I would be tempted.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far I have a hard time trusting this Allen kid's projections. They range anywhere from late 1st to 3rd or even 4th (106th Rk on cbs, 17th on WF). Haven't seen much tape yet, but early analysis that I've read tab him as more of a SS type. Really good run defender, but that could be the scheme & usage. Still a gamble to assume he can handle the centerfielder position. "Solid but unspectacular". Need to see more tape.

I'm liking the Justin Reid kid from Stanford. He & Minkah Fitzpatrick seem like the top 2 FS in the draft. Both are more polished in the coverage department. Don't think the Steelers would have a shot at Fitz. Reid was also used in the slot. Judging by the Pac-12 championship game, I would say he's better suited at FS. He got abused by USC when playing in the slot against the smaller & faster receivers. Playing at FS he displays great awareness.

Allen...hasn't helped himself much so far.

I'd love to get Reid...@ 28...the 2nd ILB or 2nd FS could be in play....they have a good shot at maybe not a day one starter, but certainly a yr one starter.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Allen...hasn't helped himself much so far.

I'd love to get Reid...@ 28...the 2nd ILB or 2nd FS could be in play....they have a good shot at maybe not a day one starter, but certainly a yr one starter.
Wonder if the Steelers make a play on the FA market for a LB. Todd Davis would be a nice addition. He was a RFA in Denver last year and they put a 2nd Rd tender on him. This year he's a UFA. I'm sure Denver will try to retain him. He was PFF's #20 ILB in 2016. 5th year in the league, 2-yr starter, finished 2nd on the team with 78 tackles this year, will only be 26 years old, great leadership skills. Coaches rave about the kid.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder if the Steelers make a play on the FA market for a LB. Todd Davis would be a nice addition. He was a RFA in Denver last year and they put a 2nd Rd tender on him. This year he's a UFA. I'm sure Denver will try to retain him. He was PFF's #20 ILB in 2016. 5th year in the league, 2-yr starter, finished 2nd on the team with 78 tackles this year, will only be 26 years old, great leadership skills. Coaches rave about the kid.

Good find...I think they have shown they are willing to entertain upper tier FAs with Green. The game plan is probably two fold...FA and draft...if Tomlin really likes him, there is a chance...he seems to have a way with the guys he covets.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good find...I think they have shown they are willing to entertain upper tier FAs with Green. The game plan is probably two fold...FA and draft...if Tomlin really likes him, there is a chance...he seems to have a way with the guys he covets.
Outside of Davis the market is pretty thin. At least I'm not very familiar with the rest of the names that are on that list. Couple names but the upside just isn't there. The Safety market might have more allure.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of Davis the market is pretty thin. At least I'm not very familiar with the rest of the names that are on that list. Couple names but the upside just isn't there. The Safety market might have more allure.

Minter is the other name that I think is a starting caliber talent, but I'm thinking they will be looking at more of a stop gap guy and hope to hit in the draft...ILBs typically find the field pretty quickly if they have game...then its a matter of the learning curve.

It would be nice to make a big hit with Davis and focus on FS starter, and ILB/OLB depth in the draft.

This will be an interesting draft as always, but the early mocks are fairly promising I think getting the 2nd FS or ILB off the board...@ 28.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minter is the other name that I think is a starting caliber talent, but I'm thinking they will be looking at more of a stop gap guy and hope to hit in the draft...ILBs typically find the field pretty quickly if they have game...then its a matter of the learning curve.

It would be nice to make a big hit with Davis and focus on FS starter, and ILB/OLB depth in the draft.

This will be an interesting draft as always, but the early mocks are fairly promising I think getting the 2nd FS or ILB off the board...@ 28.
If they want to make a play at Davis they would need to be very aggressive about it. Broncos have a difficult offseason ahead of them like the Steelers do. The faster they can get those deals made the better. I have a feeling we are going to see a wave of cuts come soon. Maybe closer to FA period. Not sure when they are officially allowed to. Last year they released Justin Gilbert on Feb 6th.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they want to make a play at Davis they would need to be very aggressive about it. Broncos have a difficult offseason ahead of them like the Steelers do. The faster they can get those deals made the better. I have a feeling we are going to see a wave of cuts come soon. Maybe closer to FA period. Not sure when they are officially allowed to. Last year they released Justin Gilbert on Feb 6th.

DEN...they will probably make an effort I assume, but they need to fix the QB spot and it seems like they could be players in the Cousins sweepstakes...if so, they most likely can't afford Davis also.

If Davis is the top FA at the position looking to max out, PIT is most likely not his landing spot. Too many teams out there with lots of cap cash to spend.

Cuts...I'm hearing Mitchell is on thin ice, but probably won't be let go until later if it happens. Wilcox, Gay, DHB...3 of the 4 are gone I think...maybe all 4.

Sr Bowl standout...small school guy. A name to watch. Apparently this guy was all over the field...love those small school hungry players.

Darius Leonard, LB, South Carolina State

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DEN...they will probably make an effort I assume, but they need to fix the QB spot and it seems like they could be players in the Cousins sweepstakes...if so, they most likely can't afford Davis also.

If Davis is the top FA at the position looking to max out, PIT is most likely not his landing spot. Too many teams out there with lots of cap cash to spend.

Cuts...I'm hearing Mitchell is on thin ice, but probably won't be let go until later if it happens. Wilcox, Gay, DHB...3 of the 4 are gone I think...maybe all 4.

Sr Bowl standout...small school guy. A name to watch. Apparently this guy was all over the field...love those small school hungry players.

Darius Leonard, LB, South Carolina State
Thin ice??? He broke through that ice the year before. This year he was drowning all season. They need to see that and dump him. I realize they may wait and see what they get to replace him with first or need to make him a 1 June cut to lesson his cap hit.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thin ice??? He broke through that ice the year before. This year he was drowning all season. They need to see that and dump him. I realize they may wait and see what they get to replace him with first or need to make him a 1 June cut to lesson his cap hit.

True...I say thin ice only b/c I know some people want and think he should be among the 1st cuts (me included).

Unless there's some extra incentive financially to get rid of Mitchell early...most likely they will wait like you said....there's zero chance they bring Mitchell back as a $8 mil cap hit player. I hope zero chance period, I've seen enough of Mitchell on the back end of the DEF.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True...I say thin ice only b/c I know some people want and think he should be among the 1st cuts (me included).

Unless there's some extra incentive financially to get rid of Mitchell early...most likely they will wait like you said....there's zero chance they bring Mitchell back as a $8 mil cap hit player. I hope zero chance period, I've seen enough of Mitchell on the back end of the DEF.

Only thing that really worries me about Mitchell is that he's viewed as a leader in the lockerroom, and Tomlin has always loved him. Its easy to see he's a liability, but Tomlin may give him enough benefit of the doubt to keep him around. I'm already losing sleep over it.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only thing that really worries me about Mitchell is that he's viewed as a leader in the lockerroom, and Tomlin has always loved him. Its easy to see he's a liability, but Tomlin may give him enough benefit of the doubt to keep him around. I'm already losing sleep over it.

Yep...the concern is where is the DB leadership coming from if Gay, and Mitchell are not there? Haden I assume...but it's time for Davis or Burns to step up and take a leadership role after 2 seasons.

I think the money part is going to force some kind of action on Mitchell. If he comes back I think it would have to be less than his current cap hit.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright ladies, it's draft talk time. The season is officially over and it's time to make the needed upgrades to our team so we can be the Philadelphia Eagles next year!!!

To me, our biggest needs are at the CB/FS position and the LB position. Lots of mock drafts I've seen have Lamar Jackson falling to us which wouldn't be too bad of a pick because I do believe we need to start thinking about life after Ben.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright ladies, it's draft talk time. The season is officially over and it's time to make the needed upgrades to our team so we can be the Philadelphia Eagles next year!!!

To me, our biggest needs are at the CB/FS position and the LB position. Lots of mock drafts I've seen have Lamar Jackson falling to us which wouldn't be too bad of a pick because I do believe we need to start thinking about life after Ben.
ILB & FS are the biggest needs this offseason. CB not far behind. QB & RB are debatable. Ben returning has bought them another year if they want to hold off on a higher end investment. I wouldn't mind a QB in the 1st, but don't think I want Jackson. Sparkplug QBs like him don't last very long in the NFL, let alone the brutal AFCN.

ILB... The pool is mighty thin in FA. And the top end talent in the draft is just as thin if they look outside of the 1st round. I suspect this will be their position of focus early on this offseason.

FS... Everyone wants them to get rid of Mitchell, but will they? With the cap issues they are facing I suspect he will be a front-runner for cap-casualties. He's a Tomlin guy so he could be protected sadly. Its a glaring issue in the defense that needs an upgrade. I would love a 1st Rd pick like Justin Reid or Minkah Fitzpatrick from Stanford. Both have great awareness & ball skills to go along with top end coverage skills. They are true FS, unlike the lumbering Mike Mitchell who plays the position more like a SS.

CB... Burns still has plenty of room to develop, which is why I think they need to continue to put more competition in the room. Haden cannot be counted on for 2 more years, let alone a full 16-game season. Sutton should emerge this offseason and push Burns. Hilton is locked into the slot position. Gay & Sensabaugh are likely casualties. On paper the position gets awfully thin after 1 injury to the top 3. Another 3rd or 4th Rd prospect could help.

RB... Even if Bell stays I think they need another body. Conner is locked in, but they could always use more help. Watson & Toussaint are capable bodies but not going to push Conner. Fichtner's no-huddle offense will demand depth across the board on offense.

OLB... Outside of Watt, is there anyone to really be excited about? Dupree is underwhelming, and the same can be said about Chickillo & Moats. Not to mention Chickillo is a RFA, and Moats UFA. Dupree is a good athlete capable of contributing in many ways, but I'm not sure he is the gamechanger they need.

D-line... The depth is currently good, but the future is shaky. Walton & Alualu could be playing their last year in Pittsburgh. Tuitt's injury history is concerning.

O-line... Looks like the current nucleus is coming to a close. Foster could be a cap casualty with the younger & cheaper option Finney waiting in the wings. Gilbert is struggling to stay on the field. Hubbard will likely be gone since he proved more than capable of being a starter for another team. Munchak still has ammo in the form of Hawkins & Feiler so the position isn't in dire straits but the FO would be wise to continuously provide ammo to this position while Munchak is still around. He is turning UDFA's into gold.

TE... Wasn't putting this position on my list of needs but I wouldn't be surprised. Colbert & Tomlin seem very intent on surrounding Ben with the best talent they can find while he's still in the building.

Probably forgetting somethin...

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since they're trying to win a SB now before Ben retires a QB shouldn't be a round 1 or 2 consideration IMO. They're are a lot bigger needs to be filled if they want to win a SB soon and they do.