• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Draft...way too early talk

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Todd Haley should be as good as gone now. Tomlin will need a guinea pig to publicly hang after that embarrassment to cover his own ass even though he deserves every bit of the criticism that Haley does for that game.

If they can somehow manage to keep this team intact (killer B's), then I would focus on the defense as well. Goodbye Mitchell, wish I didn't know you. Axe Gay, Sens & Wilcox since they weren't really contributors anyways. Draft a FS, CB & ILB. And pray they make quick-studies out of at least 2 of them.

This unit will be remembered as paper champions... lead the league in sacks and yet registered 0 sacks today. They were ranked 5th against the pass and somehow got gashed by none other than Blake fucking Bortles on numerous possession downs. And they were 10th against the run but got dismantled for 4 rushing TDs today. Nobody's job is safe IMO, except for maybe Heyward.

What was so disappointing was I'd started to believe in the DEF. I knew there were still some holes, but I didn't see that effort coming. Shazier is big, but no one player except QB should have THAT much effect on the unit....they would play well for 2 downs only to look like a college team on 3rd down...time after time...I just couldn't get my head around it.

There shouldn't be on DEF after watching that game yesterday, but there are some untouchables...I think TJ, and the DL starters come back intact. Most likely Davis at SS and Haden at CB.

That leaves FS, LOLB, both ILB spots and CB.

FS...Mitchell's final yr at a $8 mil cap hit. His play has steadily declined. He's definitely not an $8 mil cap player and I would argue that me might not even be NFL starter caliber anymore.

LOLB...Dupree has leveled off. Great athlete, but he's reached his ceiling as a pass rusher. On the final yr of his rookie deal so he's fairly cheap. I think you let him play out his final yr, but they need more production from a guy facing the right tackle. I want to see the Adams kid next yr, but most likely help will come from the draft.

ILB Buck...Vince did a good job in his 1st yr as a starter replacing Timmons. He's in a contract yr also. Now 28...I think he comes back as the starter, maybe even they extend him but they need another body here capable of starting.

ILB Mack...Shazier is not playing football next year...maybe never again. Sad, but it's football. It's going to be hard to find the athlete that Shazier was, but this has to be a plug and play guy. It wouldn't surprise me to see them look to the FA market for a B level guy. Also they have to be looking pretty high in the draft.

CB...Haden is going to be 29...I think he will be back as the starter, but at this point Burns is not a lock on the other side. IMO he needs to improve his craft. Expect competition on his side from Sutton, or the draft.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was so disappointing was I'd started to believe in the DEF. I knew there were still some holes, but I didn't see that effort coming. Shazier is big, but no one player except QB should have THAT much effect on the unit....they would play well for 2 downs only to look like a college team on 3rd down...time after time...I just couldn't get my head around it.

There shouldn't be on DEF after watching that game yesterday, but there are some untouchables...I think TJ, and the DL starters come back intact. Most likely Davis at SS and Haden at CB.

FS...Mitchell's final yr at a $8 mil cap hit. His play has steadily declined. He's definitely not an $8 mil cap player and I would argue that me might not even be NFL starter caliber anymore.

LOLB...Dupree has leveled off. Great athlete, but he's reached his ceiling as a pass rusher. On the final yr of his rookie deal so he's fairly cheap. I think you let him play out his final yr, but they need more production from a guy facing the right tackle. I want to see the Adams kid next yr, but most likely help will come from the draft.

ILB Buck...Vince did a good job in his 1st yr as a starter replacing Timmons. He's in a contract yr also. Now 28...I think he comes back as the starter, maybe even they extend him but they need another body here capable of starting.

ILB Mack...Shazier is not playing football next year...maybe never again. Sad, but it's football. It's going to be hard to find the athlete that Shazier was, but this has to be a plug and play guy. It wouldn't surprise me to see them look to the FA market for a B level guy. Also they have to be looking pretty high in the draft.

CB...Haden is going to be 29...I think he will be back as the starter, but at this point Burns is not a lock on the other side. IMO he needs to improve his craft. Expect competition on his side from Sutton, or the draft.

Couldn't agree more with this post. Really sucked to finally have confidence in the defense only to get absolutely embarrassed by it. That was pathetic. Butler has to answer for that and be held accountable if he is to return. He made great improvements but failed to coach adequately in the postseason. I was not amused by how much 3-4 & 2-4 nickel he was rolling out on the field. 3-4 can work wonders against a run-first offense if you have the front 7 to match the opposition. It simply didn't hold up its end of the bargain even though Butler tried numerous times. Not entirely his fault, he should have that level of confidence in his troops. They simply failed to play with the same intensity as the Jags and got pushed around.

FS... Definitely a top target for me. Mitchell should be gone. They need a true FS. A cerebral type defender in this spot that has coverage & ball skills. Mitchell has essentially played this position like a linebacker which has been an utter failure. If they can find someone like Earl Thomas it would do wonders for this secondary. They need a captain with leadership skills. Haden can only do so much from 1 side of the field.

LOLB... Talked about this before. Want to see better results from this spot, but Dupree has been decent. He's just not wowing or dominating anyone consistently. And like you said, the RT shouldn't be stopping him that often. I've even seen the TE push him around too much.

ILB... Need bodies here. Shazier is a long shot to return anytime soon. V-Will is a solid player but not sure if we've already seen his ceiling. I hate how lost he can look in run support during some games, but dominant in the next. Need better consistency from him.

CB... You can never inject enough talent into this position. Arguably the toughest position to play on the defense. More talent equals better competitions, which should bring out the best in everybody. I still have some confidence in Burns. I feel pretty good about Haden/Burns/Hilton/Sutton as the base for this group. Brian Allen will be a dark horse for next season but could provide some life. Still missing 1 piece to the puzzle. I'd be willing to give Sensabaugh another shot, but not sure he's worth it.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't agree more with this post. Really sucked to finally have confidence in the defense only to get absolutely embarrassed by it. That was pathetic. Butler has to answer for that and be held accountable if he is to return. He made great improvements but failed to coach adequately in the postseason. I was not amused by how much 3-4 & 2-4 nickel he was rolling out on the field. 3-4 can work wonders against a run-first offense if you have the front 7 to match the opposition. It simply didn't hold up its end of the bargain even though Butler tried numerous times. Not entirely his fault, he should have that level of confidence in his troops. They simply failed to play with the same intensity as the Jags and got pushed around.

FS... Definitely a top target for me. Mitchell should be gone. They need a true FS. A cerebral type defender in this spot that has coverage & ball skills. Mitchell has essentially played this position like a linebacker which has been an utter failure. If they can find someone like Earl Thomas it would do wonders for this secondary. They need a captain with leadership skills. Haden can only do so much from 1 side of the field.

LOLB... Talked about this before. Want to see better results from this spot, but Dupree has been decent. He's just not wowing or dominating anyone consistently. And like you said, the RT shouldn't be stopping him that often. I've even seen the TE push him around too much.

ILB... Need bodies here. Shazier is a long shot to return anytime soon. V-Will is a solid player but not sure if we've already seen his ceiling. I hate how lost he can look in run support during some games, but dominant in the next. Need better consistency from him.

CB... You can never inject enough talent into this position. Arguably the toughest position to play on the defense. More talent equals better competitions, which should bring out the best in everybody. I still have some confidence in Burns. I feel pretty good about Haden/Burns/Hilton/Sutton as the base for this group. Brian Allen will be a dark horse for next season but could provide some life. Still missing 1 piece to the puzzle. I'd be willing to give Sensabaugh another shot, but not sure he's worth it.

Here's some early thoughts on cap hit causalities for next season...McDonald and Haden are the only ones on that list that are safe.

Steelers Potential 2018 Offseason Salary Cap Casualties - Steelers Depot

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For god sakes can someone please figure out how to cover RBs out of the backfield by next season!!!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pittsburgh Steelers retain 7 players with new contracts

7 players resigned:

TE Xavier Grimble — One-year contract
LS Kameron Canaday — One-year contract

reserve/future contracts:

LB Matt Galambos
S Jordan Dangerfield
OLB Farrington Huguenin
TE Jake McGee
CB Dashaun Phillips

Have a good feeling that Galambos challenges the ILB room this offseason. He impressed during camp last year. Huguenin & Phillips could be interesting to watch as well. Phillips had starting experience at CB with the Redskins.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a stunning change of direction, Martavis Bryant wants to stay with the Steelers

Interesting... Bryant is now making the conscious effort to plant seeds for his return. He's under contract in 2018. @ATL96Steeler

Still think I'd shop him. This is the AB & JuJu show now. Bryant is a good playmaker but they don't want the baggage he carries. That year off to suspension certainly didn't humble him in any way. Why would anyone believe he's changed? What happens if he returns and next year AB & Juju run the show again?

I will say though. Having him back will help Colbert & Tomlin focus on the defense this offseason.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a stunning change of direction, Martavis Bryant wants to stay with the Steelers

Interesting... Bryant is now making the conscious effort to plant seeds for his return. He's under contract in 2018. @ATL96Steeler

Still think I'd shop him. This is the AB & JuJu show now. Bryant is a good playmaker but they don't want the baggage he carries. That year off to suspension certainly didn't humble him in any way. Why would anyone believe he's changed? What happens if he returns and next year AB & Juju run the show again?

I will say though. Having him back will help Colbert & Tomlin focus on the defense this offseason.

I'm not sure if I could get the price (no less than 2nd round which is steep) I want by shopping him. But, I would answer any calls inquiring about MB.

'18...I think there is enough balls for the 3 of them. 163, 106, 84, 79...those were the top 4 targeted players...AB, Bell, MB, Juju. If Bell stays, his targets will probably be in this general area...I can see Juju's targets going up slightly and maybe AB's coming down a little.

If Bell leaves, I'm thinking the RB targets will go down some as well.

Bryant...he's a talent on a very cost effective contract for '18. MB is a young man listening to a lot of outside influences. The drama stopped completely after his meeting with Tomlin. I think he understands his best route to a big contract is to stay put with Ben for '18 and produce. I wouldn't be anxious to move a $700k cap hit with his kind of production/potential unless I got a good pick in return.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure if I could get the price (no less than 2nd round which is steep) I want by shopping him. But, I would answer any calls inquiring about MB.

'18...I think there is enough balls for the 3 of them. 163, 106, 84, 79...those were the top 4 targeted players...AB, Bell, MB, Juju. If Bell stays, his targets will probably be in this general area...I can see Juju's targets going up slightly and maybe AB's coming down a little.

If Bell leaves, I'm thinking the RB targets will go down some as well.

Bryant...he's a talent on a very cost effective contract for '18. MB is a young man listening to a lot of outside influences. The drama stopped completely after his meeting with Tomlin. I think he understands his best route to a big contract is to stay put with Ben for '18 and produce. I wouldn't be anxious to move a $700k cap hit with his kind of production/potential unless I got a good pick in return.
Definitely good points. I just have a hard time believing that he is past his drama. If he can continue the quiet yet productive professionalism that we saw down the stretch then its a no-brainer to keep him.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely good points. I just have a hard time believing that he is past his drama. If he can continue the quiet yet productive professionalism that we saw down the stretch then its a no-brainer to keep him.

I think whatever Tomlin said and him stepping up his game and earning more targets was his pacifier.

At the end of the day this kid wants a big contract...he felt like he wasn't getting showcased...he was right, but went about it the wrong way. I think he knows now that until he's UFA the Steelers control his fate. STFU and play ball.

Anything else is really hurting more than helping his goal of a 2nd contract. I think he' stay on this path, but again...if somebody like NYG with a high 2nd rounder calls...I'm listening.

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Question: do we know for a fact that Shazier will not return next season?

I've seen very little on his progress. Can he walk? Seriously...I've heard almost nothing.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question: do we know for a fact that Shazier will not return next season?

I've seen very little on his progress. Can he walk? Seriously...I've heard almost nothing.
Not walking yet but has returned feeling to his lower extremities. I've heard that he's miles ahead of where they thought he would be, but its all word of mouth. The entire Shazier family is being very secretive of the situation. I don't know if that is simply not to set Shazier up for failure emotionally, or they are looking to add one helluva dramatic story with a return to the field.

It's anyone's guess right now. Seeing as we have only seen him in a wheel chair the last 3-4 times on local & national TV, we have to assume that his return to football is a long ways away, if ever. And as a GM, you have to continue on without him. If he comes back, that's a huge boost to the team, but it wouldn't stop me from drafting his replacement. An injury such as this has long term implications, even after a return to full health he could be 1 hit away from being permanently paralyzed. The decision to return will be a tough choice to make for him. That's a risk that he should not take unless 100% positive that the injury won't hinder him. Its bigger than football.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a more positive note...

Steelers CB Mike Hilton gets 1-year contract; 4 others get futures deals

Huge resigning... Hilton was arguably the best DB on the field last season. Haven't seen the numbers yet, but I'm guessing its a small, mutual contract judging by the 1 year only. If he proves himself again then he'll be cashing in during the 2019 offseason.

Also more reserve/futures contracts were handed out to PS players:
DE Lavon Hooks
LB Keith Kelsey
WR Justin Thomas
WR Marcus Tucker

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not walking yet but has returned feeling to his lower extremities. I've heard that he's miles ahead of where they thought he would be, but its all word of mouth. The entire Shazier family is being very secretive of the situation. I don't know if that is simply not to set Shazier up for failure emotionally, or they are looking to add one helluva dramatic story with a return to the field.

It's anyone's guess right now. Seeing as we have only seen him in a wheel chair the last 3-4 times on local & national TV, we have to assume that his return to football is a long ways away, if ever. And as a GM, you have to continue on without him. If he comes back, that's a huge boost to the team, but it wouldn't stop me from drafting his replacement. An injury such as this has long term implications, even after a return to full health he could be 1 hit away from being permanently paralyzed. The decision to return will be a tough choice to make for him. That's a risk that he should not take unless 100% positive that the injury won't hinder him. Its bigger than football.

Thanks for the update...it's hard for me to get Steelers news, so deep in enemy territory. It's like being one of those island watchers during WW II...without the risk of death, of course.

I agree that Shazier should not return if it poses a serious risk to his long-term health or life. And if he does return, he has to learn not to lead with his head. It was his one flaw as a player, and cost him dearly.

Here's hoping he makes a full recovery.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hopefully he had one of those Lloyds Of London policies that a lot of pro athletes get in contract years. As far as playing again, doubtful.

I'm just hoping the guy can walk again and have a normal life...be a dad, etc. Yeah, it's way bigger than football.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a more positive note...

Steelers CB Mike Hilton gets 1-year contract; 4 others get futures deals

Huge resigning... Hilton was arguably the best DB on the field last season. Haven't seen the numbers yet, but I'm guessing its a small, mutual contract judging by the 1 year only. If he proves himself again then he'll be cashing in during the 2019 offseason.

Also more reserve/futures contracts were handed out to PS players:
DE Lavon Hooks
LB Keith Kelsey
WR Justin Thomas
WR Marcus Tucker

I'm torn...Alualu or Hilton which was the bigger signing? Given that nickel are basically starters I would give the nod to Hilton, but my gosh was Alualu a godsend with Tuitt's injury riddled season.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm torn...Alualu or Hilton which was the bigger signing? Given that nickel are basically starters I would give the nod to Hilton, but my gosh was Alualu a godsend with Tuitt's injury riddled season.

Pretty sad for that guy. Has to come here and lose to Jax twice in the same season including the playoffs.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CBS Sports Pre combine top 5

ILB

• Roquan Smith...UGA
  • Tremaine Edmunds...VA Tech
  • Rashaan Evans...AL
  • Christian Sam...AZ St
  • Micah Kiser...VA
They list some OLBs that imo are ILB candidates at this level...I will pull up those in another post. Smith will go long before 28.

FS

• Minkah Ftzpatrick...AL
  • Quin Blanding...VA
  • Armani Watts...TXAM
  • Justin Reed...Stanford
  • Marcus Allen...PSU

I expect the Steelers to have files on all of these guys...the Blanding kid I think is from the VA. Bch area...iirc Tomlin has some connection to that area also...a name to watch and see if he gets an invite to PIT.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is one of those kids slated as an OLB, that will probably play inside in the pros.

Clemson...Love his potential as a 34 ILB, has the speed and range, athletic....cut and pasted this from a Clemson website. This write up says 3rd round. If he runs in the 4.5 range, I would expect him to go no later than 2nd rd.

Dorian O'Daniel, Outside Linebacker

You heard it here first — Dorian O'Daniel is one of, if not the most overlooked player in this draft. At 6-foot-1, 225 pounds he could stand to put on some weight, but the former high school running back is as fast as any linebacker in the draft. He uses that speed to set the edge against the run but it really helps him excel against the pass.

636424632241587495-C-VT-003262.jpg

Clemson linebacker Dorian O'Daniel (6) intercepts a pass intended for Virginia Tech wide receiver Henri Murphy (12) during the 4th quarter on Saturday, September 30, 2017 at Lane Stadium in Blacksburg, VA. O'Daniel returned the interception for a touchdown. (Photo: BART BOATWRIGHT?Staff)

O'Daniel returned a pair of interceptions to the house this season, consistently covered teams' slot receivers, and might've been Clemson's best pound-for-pound defender in coverage. USA Today has him going late in the third round, but he'll test through the roof and some team won't hesitate to take him earlier than that.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SR Bowl Practice has concluded.

One of the guys I really wanted to see...Clemson LB, Dorian O'Daniel has a rib injury, not expected to play.

The early top 3 ILBs are starting to be the same names most places I look...Roquan Smith, UGA, Tremaine Edmunds, VA Tech, Rashaan Evans, AL...we'll see how this looks post combine.

I still think O'Daniel is a 43- OLB or 34 ILB fit and has the speed to be a playmaker in coverage.