• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Draft...way too early talk

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade up. That's the answer to our issues. Go reach for someone, don't settle for whoever is left.

But like I said, I don't think he's gonna be available and I don't think, unfortunately, that Haden gets released. I think the Steelers draft LB at 28 no matter what. Best LB on the board is who they go with. Is that the right move? That's debatable. But I think that's what they go with.

C'mon T...I'm looking for names...educate me...The CB looks like a great prospect, and I would consider that if thought I could land the other 2 positions.

Haden is not the weak link on the DEF...expensive, but not the weak link...imo he's the best cover CB on the team...over paid? I think so too.

CB/ILB...most likely right on both counts...Jackson will be gone and PIT will take an ILB @ 28. Of course PIT prefers to let the draft come to them. The few times they're tried to maneuver the board to target a player...it blew up in their face. I'd like to see them do it again because they're only a couple of players away if they can retain Bell...ILB and FS.

There is some chatter coming from Rooney about beefing up the DL. Idk what the response will be on draft day, but typically Colbert does in some fashion.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C'mon T...I'm looking for names...educate me...The CB looks like a great prospect, and I would consider that if thought I could land the other 2 positions.

Haden is not the weak link on the DEF...expensive, but not the weak link...imo he's the best cover CB on the team...over paid? I think so too.

CB/ILB...most likely right on both counts...Jackson will be gone and PIT will take an ILB @ 28. Of course PIT prefers to let the draft come to them. The few times they're tried to maneuver the board to target a player...it blew up in their face. I'd like to see them do it again because they're only a couple of players away if they can retain Bell...ILB and FS.

There is some chatter coming from Rooney about beefing up the DL. Idk what the response will be on draft day, but typically Colbert does in some fashion.

Well the names at 28 don't help us at all. There's no way one of the top 5 corners drop to us and there's only 3-4 Round 1 LBs in this draft and they will probably be gone by the time we are on the clock.

The best CBs are all gonna be gone once the top 20 is over. Joshua Jackson from Iowa, Denzel Ward from Ohio State, Derwin James from Florida State, Carlton Davis from Auburn and Donte Jackson from LSU are the best corners in this draft and they are all projected to go in the top 20. Best corner we could hope for is Mike Hughes from UCF which isn't bad, but obviously not the best choice out there. So we are kinda stuck when it comes to corners.

The LB depth is horrid for first round talent. When you get away from Roquan Smith, Rashaan Evans and Tremaine Edmunds, you're really slim with talent. Harold Landry would be the next pick at LB but he's coming off of an ankle injury so that doesn't boost my confidence with him, you got a LB from South Carolina State that's not a Round 1 talent but is also gonna be gone by the time we draft in the 2nd. Same thing with Vander Esch from Boise State.

In my opinion, Haden isn't worth what we're paying him, he hasn't had the production that Haden should have for 2 years now. Artie Burns isn't worth a 2nd contract right now. Brian Allen played 1 game. Sutton was hurt for the whole season practically. Sensabaugh isn't a starter right now, don't know if he ever will be. Hilton is okay but not a starter. William Gay isn't as good as he used to be and is probably nearing the end of his career. We have two glaring needs. CB and LB. I think we can all agree on that. What position we choose to get I guess depends on which one FO thinks is more important or who the BPA is.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the names at 28 don't help us at all. There's no way one of the top 5 corners drop to us and there's only 3-4 Round 1 LBs in this draft and they will probably be gone by the time we are on the clock.

The best CBs are all gonna be gone once the top 20 is over. Joshua Jackson from Iowa, Denzel Ward from Ohio State, Derwin James from Florida State, Carlton Davis from Auburn and Donte Jackson from LSU are the best corners in this draft and they are all projected to go in the top 20. Best corner we could hope for is Mike Hughes from UCF which isn't bad, but obviously not the best choice out there. So we are kinda stuck when it comes to corners.

The LB depth is horrid for first round talent. When you get away from Roquan Smith, Rashaan Evans and Tremaine Edmunds, you're really slim with talent. Harold Landry would be the next pick at LB but he's coming off of an ankle injury so that doesn't boost my confidence with him, you got a LB from South Carolina State that's not a Round 1 talent but is also gonna be gone by the time we draft in the 2nd. Same thing with Vander Esch from Boise State.

In my opinion, Haden isn't worth what we're paying him, he hasn't had the production that Haden should have for 2 years now. Artie Burns isn't worth a 2nd contract right now. Brian Allen played 1 game. Sutton was hurt for the whole season practically. Sensabaugh isn't a starter right now, don't know if he ever will be. Hilton is okay but not a starter. William Gay isn't as good as he used to be and is probably nearing the end of his career. We have two glaring needs. CB and LB. I think we can all agree on that. What position we choose to get I guess depends on which one FO thinks is more important or who the BPA is.
We have to throw FS in that glaring needs mix. And if Bell doesn't sign, RB as well.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have to throw FS in that glaring needs mix. And if Bell doesn't sign, RB as well.

As of right now, 4 Safeties are slated go to in the first round. Minkah Fitzpatrick from Alabama who is slotted as a top 10 pick, Derwin James from FSU who is listed as a CB/S, is a top 20 pick right now, Ronnie Harrison from Bama is a first rounder and Justin Reid from Stanford is also a first rounder. After that you get into guys that could to early in the 3rd.

That's why I'm so adamant about trading up. The depth for our needs are not good at all. If Bell doesn't sign that throws this all through a loop and our RB need takes precedent which at that point, we are screwed. RB depth in this draft is non-existent. It's Barkley and then everyone else going in the 2nd round.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of right now, 4 Safeties are slated go to in the first round. Minkah Fitzpatrick from Alabama who is slotted as a top 10 pick, Derwin James from FSU who is listed as a CB/S, is a top 20 pick right now, Ronnie Harrison from Bama is a first rounder and Justin Reid from Stanford is also a first rounder. After that you get into guys that could to early in the 3rd.

That's why I'm so adamant about trading up. The depth for our needs are not good at all. If Bell doesn't sign that throws this all through a loop and our RB need takes precedent which at that point, we are screwed. RB depth in this draft is non-existent. It's Barkley and then everyone else going in the 2nd round.
What is deep cause I have a bad feeling that could be BPA and the 1st round pick?

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is deep cause I have a bad feeling that could be BPA and the 1st round pick?

Right now, I'd say the pick is BPA defensively. I don't think it makes sense to draft an offensive player the way things look now. As stated, Bell not signing changes things drastically. But that BPA is probably a d-lineman which doesn't fill a need. That's what I'm afraid of. The scenario that the BPA might not help us fill a need is scary for me.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now, I'd say the pick is BPA defensively. I don't think it makes sense to draft an offensive player the way things look now. As stated, Bell not signing changes things drastically. But that BPA is probably a d-lineman which doesn't fill a need. That's what I'm afraid of. The scenario that the BPA might not help us fill a need is scary for me.
And Face mentioned on another thread that Art Rooney mentioned beefing up the DL. Uh-oh!!!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree 28 is not a spot to get a NFL ready CB...it rarely ever is. The Saints got the best CB in the '17 draft with #11 overall...Humphrey went to BAL at #16, and Adoree Jackson went #18...including S, 5 guys went top 20 LY..ever draft is different, but BUF got TreDavious White at 27 and GB got Kevin King #33

But...ILB? Yeah there are only 3 guys with 1st round grade...but year in year out, you don't typically see many ILBs going top 20...LY Jarrad Davis was a stud, went 21st and the 1st LB off the board so I think between the 3 guys you mentioned 1 will be there at 28.

FWIW...Darius Leonard...one of my sleeper picks. Maybe you're right he could be gone at 60...depends on his combine imo, but his big board presence is in the low 100s on several board for now. I'm not as concerned about finding a LB as I am FS. Landing Tre Boston in PIT would be huge!

Revisiting our young CBs....although not young anymore, we've said our piece on Haden.

Burns...I agree, but the talent is there, need to see a turn for the better this yr before they can start talking about a 2nd contract for sure...a new set of eyes on the DBs should help with his technique.

Allen...we don't know.

Sutton...the team likes what they've seen, but we haven't seen enough obviously...I think he will be a good player, but admittedly some wishful thinking for my Vol.

Hilton...he's a nice find, hungry, I expect him to maintain the slot job.

Am I totally comfortable with the Steeler CBs in total? No, but the bigger need this draft I think is FS and obviously LB...that's why I said Tre Boston would be huge. That could free up resources to target Haden's replacement if his play is no better than LY.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also speaking of possible B&G returns this offseason... Rumor mill has 3 former Steeler WRs hitting the FA pool, and 1 O-lineman.

Emmanuel Sanders
Mike Wallace
Marcus Wheaton

Wesley Johnson

WR... While I'm not really excited over the thought of any of those WRs, the fact remains that Eli Rogers is coming off a big knee injury and the slot position could be up for grabs. No timetable yet, but history indicates he won't be ready until midseason unless the tear was very minor? Not to mention the 5th & 6th WR slots may open up. DHB could be a cap casualty, and Hunter is a UFA. That leaves the WR options as: Brown, S-S, Bryant, and a list of PS guys (Tucker, Thomas, and 2 newbies on reserve/futures contracts). I don't think Sanders or Wheaton would come cheap, so I think we can effectively eliminate them from the discussion. Wheaton has struggled with health lately so he's a risky option.

O-lineman... Johnson has seen lots of playing time over the last few years. Mainly on the interior. But he could be a Hubbard-type backup capable of filling in anywhere. I think the coaches are fully planning on proceeding with Finney, Hawkins & Feiler though. I think Feiler is being groomed to become what Finney has been the last 2 seasons. Finney is on the cusp of replacing Foster completely. Could happen this offseason if Foster's contract becomes a casualty. Doubt they will want to mess with the cohesiveness of the O-line if they want to remain in "win now" mode.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also speaking of possible B&G returns this offseason... Rumor mill has 3 former Steeler WRs hitting the FA pool, and 1 O-lineman.

Emmanuel Sanders
Mike Wallace
Marcus Wheaton

Wesley Johnson

WR... While I'm not really excited over the thought of any of those WRs, the fact remains that Eli Rogers is coming off a big knee injury and the slot position could be up for grabs. No timetable yet, but history indicates he won't be ready until midseason unless the tear was very minor? Not to mention the 5th & 6th WR slots may open up. DHB could be a cap casualty, and Hunter is a UFA. That leaves the WR options as: Brown, S-S, Bryant, and a list of PS guys (Tucker, Thomas, and 2 newbies on reserve/futures contracts). I don't think Sanders or Wheaton would come cheap, so I think we can effectively eliminate them from the discussion. Wheaton has struggled with health lately so he's a risky option.

O-lineman... Johnson has seen lots of playing time over the last few years. Mainly on the interior. But he could be a Hubbard-type backup capable of filling in anywhere. I think the coaches are fully planning on proceeding with Finney, Hawkins & Feiler though. I think Feiler is being groomed to become what Finney has been the last 2 seasons. Finney is on the cusp of replacing Foster completely. Could happen this offseason if Foster's contract becomes a casualty. Doubt they will want to mess with the cohesiveness of the O-line if they want to remain in "win now" mode.
WR... Now that Daryl Drake is the WR coach he may have his eyes set on a couple of AZ WR's set to hit the open market. Both John & Jaron Brown. Both would be slot-capable.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WR... Now that Daryl Drake is the WR coach he may have his eyes set on a couple of AZ WR's set to hit the open market. Both John & Jaron Brown. Both would be slot-capable.
Mike Wallace or jaron

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Wallace or jaron
I wonder what value Mike Wallace would put on himself at this point in his career. At 31 years old, and after 9 years in the league... Is he starting to value team, rep & measurables over money? Who knows. If he wants to be a team player then I could see him signing for cheap.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:
I wonder what value Mike Wallace would put on himself at this point in his career. At 31 years old, and after 9 years in the league... Is he starting to value team, rep & measurables over money? Who knows. If he wants to be a team player then I could see him signing for cheap.
Right:agree:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lawrence Timmons expected to be released by the Dolphins, but do the Steelers want him?

As a depth option, why the hell not? He's an upgrade over Matakevich & Fort. He was still very productive for Miami when he played. He shouldn't be viewed as a starter though. Because if he is then the answer is no IMO.

I'd be willing to bet the Steelers players lobby for him if he gets released.

@ATL96Steeler

I was just talking to a MIA fan last night about LT and he said he thought the Dolphins would be unloading several big cap hits and he might be one...now I see this so obviously he was onto something.

Yeah...He's a Buck in this system and Vince proved he could handle that role...they need a Mack starter so he'd be an expensive back up...we know this guy is a Steeler...LY he wasn't ready to take a lessor role or less money...maybe that's changed and he's willing to play for less now.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just talking to a MIA fan last night about LT and he said he thought the Dolphins would be unloading several big cap hits and he might be one...now I see this so obviously he was onto something.

Yeah...He's a Buck in this system and Vince proved he could handle that role...they need a Mack starter so he'd be an expensive back up...we know this guy is a Steeler...LY he wasn't ready to take a lessor role or less money...maybe that's changed and he's willing to play for less now.
I'm sure he'll enter FA with a higher number than he will come away with. If he wants to play for a contender like PIT then he'll have to lower that number by quite a bit.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take Mike Wallace back in a heartbeat.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
www.nfldraftscout.com

great site, IMHO the best for pre-draft

one of their recent mocks has us taking

–28. Pittsburgh Steelers — Ronnie Harrison, SS, Alabama

The Steelers have dealt with several issues in the back half of the defense all season, something that was obvious in the loss to the Jaguars. Adding a player with Harrison’s downhill speed and toughness would be a good start to rebuilding the Pittsburgh image on defense.

Dane Brugler: Mock draft 2.0 – NFL Draft Scout

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cbs, which stinks, has us taken two different bama linebackers, and a bama safety

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kenny Vaccaro 'on his way out' of New Orleans
8451.jpg

New Orleans Times-Picayune's Larry Holder reports Saints DB Kenny Vaccaro is "likely on his way out" of New Orleans.

Vaccaro had his 2017 season ended early after being placed on injured reserve due to problems with his groin and wrist. The former first-round pick is now an unrestricted free agent and will likely sign a fairly big contract in free agency. The Cowboys were a team rumored to be interested in acquiring Vaccaro in the past