• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Top Prospects

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:D

Slightly tipsy? Hmmm. I'm not s***-faced, so 'slightly tipsy' works. :heh: But I'm assuming that Sabien (in whom I have nearly total faith) has given Evans complete or near-complete control over decision-making. In which case, we have, what, two or so years of evidence of his running of the front office...as well as (coincidentally or not) nearly two years of the Giants falling on their faces on the field. The moves the Giants have made in the minors have me almost completely flummoxed. And some of the moves at the big-league level are also hard to understand. Basically, I have no idea what the Giants are up to. I can only hope that as some of the old guys come up for contract renewals (or the ending of contracts) at the end of the year, that the Giants show some good sense and say hasta la vista, baby, to Pence, Moore, Cain, etc. And FOR ONCE, give the young guys (Beede, Rogers, Arroyo, Jones, etc.) a decent and CONTINUING chance (i.e., don't call them up for a couple of games, claiming they're going to give them time to play...and then send them right back down).

And I know Bochy likes the vets, but if he's not ready to play the kids (OR if he's actively working against giving them a chance), then maybe it's time for him to step aside as well.

Now THAT ought to stir up some vitriol. :D
I think Cain will walk just like Affeldt, Lopez and Peavy did at the end of their contracts. Hunter Pence has one more year left on his contract. How he performs in 2018, I think, will dictate whether he is re-signed. My initial thought is that next year will be his last, possibly in baseball. As for Moore, I fear that he will get his optioned picked up. The Giants won't want to give hand over many starting rotation spots to rookies and they may want to give him one more look. I know a few on this board think that should happen but I'm about done with him. However, if he can bounce back, he would be a good arm to have in the rotation.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hello from vacation. I currently have a snootfull of chianti in me (no, I'm not in Italy if that's what anyone thinks, if only), so temper any reactions to this posting of mine. But having tried to catch up on what the Giants are up to across several threads, my overwhelming reaction is...I no longer have faith in the Giants front office. Their bizarre roster shuffling and cavalier treatment and movement of the kids in the farm system makes me think, finally, that they no longer (if ever they did) have a long-term plan. They're just treading water. Carlos Moncrief??? Please. Guys being yanked up, then sent down?

Time to start the clock on Bobby Evans.

Hope your having a fun time!

The Giants front office hasn't really changed much in 20+ years. Guys have been added, promoted, demoted, or left, but for the most part it's been the same core group. Sabean has more of a scouting role now, but he still oversees everything, and Evans got a fancy new title, but Evans has been doing what he's doing now long before he was officially "promoted" in 2015. Now he's just the face, and has a bit more pull. But again, this is basically the same group, it's not like Evans came from outside the org, or use to sit in the corner and was never listened to. This isn't all on him, and the Giants won't pin it all on him.

Having said that, I don't think you would be wrong to wonder about the front office. Do they have a plan? Yes certainly. It's hard to be that mad about what they've done TBH, they have spent a lot of money to improve the team. Now, is it a good plan? Debatable. Giants spent a lot of money but it's looking like a lot of bad investments. And unfortunately many of their recent trades haven't worked out well either.

I'm still going to give them the benefit of the doubt for the time being, but it would be nice if we could have a string of good moves soon.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DrB posted his current top 20 yesterday. He already has Ramos at #1.

Gotta say, I don't agree with this list at all. He has Reynolds at #3, Howard at 12 and Ziegler at 19.

Personally, I just feel that Ramos is too young and SSS to jump to the top spot this early. I do like him in the 3 or 4 spot, though. Reynolds has not shown me much of anything yet to warrant a power spot in the top 10. I like him in 6-10 range. Howard looks OK, but as sfgrtb said a few weeks ago, his SLG could be his Achilles heal. He has a total of 20 XBH in 400 ABs this year. I like him more than MLB likes him (51), and he isn't definitely on my radar, but 12 is still a bit aggressive, I think. And if he likes Ramos at #1, it doesn't make much sense to rate Ziegler so low. They are both 5-tool kiddies who are putting up amazing numbers (granted, Ramos is 17 while Ziegler is 20).

Reactions: LHG

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude is 28. Just another retread signing.
Beede's replacement? I guess the Giants didn't want to bring another guy from single A and figured they filled AA with enough retread signings that it was time for some to go to AAA.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beede's replacement? I guess the Giants didn't want to bring another guy from single A and figured they filled AA with enough retread signings that it was time for some to go to AAA.
He may be a decent retread, that's not my point. Just pointing out that he isn't a needle-mover.

And yes, they needed an additional arm in Sacto anyway.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He may be a decent retread, that's not my point. Just pointing out that he isn't a needle-mover.

And yes, they needed an additional arm in Sacto anyway.
Wasn't trying to argue your point. I was merely pointing out why I thought he was signed. I don't expect much from him. Would rather had seen someone internally promoted. Of course, there aren't too many guys in Richmond showing a need for promotion.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't trying to argue your point. I was merely pointing out why I thought he was signed. I don't expect much from him. Would rather had seen someone internally promoted. Of course, there aren't too many guys in Richmond showing a need for promotion.
Didn't think you were arguing.

But yea. When no one deserves/needs promotion, than why do it?

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude is 28. Just another retread signing.

It's the Giants' Way.

Sabes and Evans driving in a car.

Sabes: "Hey, look! A dumpster!"

Evans: "Think we can find a decent player there?"

Sabes: "Better pull over. I once found a decent pitcher in one of these. Signed him cheap. Proved that I am smarter than all the other GM's."

Evans: (pulls over)

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the Giants' Way.

Sabes and Evans driving in a car.

Sabes: "Hey, look! A dumpster!"

Evans: "Think we can find a decent player there?"

Sabes: "Better pull over. I once found a decent pitcher in one of these. Signed him cheap. Proved that I am smarter than all the other GM's."

Evans: (pulls over)
Imagine the two of them driving by used car lots. "Hey, Sabes, should we go kick some tires?" "Yeah, why not."

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, ALL GMs look in dumpsters. And there are lots of prizes to be found.

Casilla
Vogelsong
Blanco
Torres
Huff

Just to name a few...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AFL roster news:

So far, these are the guys the Giants are sending to the AFL, Tyler Beede, Tyler Cyr, Aramis Garcia, Steven Duggar.

I'd wager that all of those guys see the majors in 2014.

Giants can send 3 more players. Some decent guesses are Rodolfo Martinez, Reyes Moronta, Joan Gregorio, Michael Cederoth, Heath Quinn, C.J Hinojosa. Giants like to send guys that missed a lot of time for various reasons. I don't include Arroyo because it sounds like the Giants are sending him to a Caribbean league, which are a bit more competitive. We'll see.

Winter Leagues: Scottsdale Scorpions: Roster

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AFL roster news:

So far, these are the guys the Giants are sending to the AFL, Tyler Beede, Tyler Cyr, Aramis Garcia, Steven Duggar.

I'd wager that all of those guys see the majors in 2014.

Giants can send 3 more players. Some decent guesses are Rodolfo Martinez, Reyes Moronta, Joan Gregorio, Michael Cederoth, Heath Quinn, C.J Hinojosa. Giants like to send guys that missed a lot of time for various reasons. I don't include Arroyo because it sounds like the Giants are sending him to a Caribbean league, which are a bit more competitive. We'll see.

Winter Leagues: Scottsdale Scorpions: Roster
Wow! That's amazing that they can go back in time and make the big leagues retroactively after playing in the AFL!:heh:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow! That's amazing that they can go back in time and make the big leagues retroactively after playing in the AFL!:heh:
I was about to say something very similar.

Well done, sir!

Reactions: LHG