• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Top Prospects

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heliot Ramos drew a ton of buzz this weekend from amateur scouts, professional scouts, and many in between:

Baseball Prospectus: Baseball Prospectus | Monday Morning Ten Pack: July 3, 2017

DD00G7iU0AA6WRp.jpg:large

Fangraphs: Daily Prospect Notes: 7/3 | FanGraphs Baseball

DD0t4tfUMAA_PuO.jpg

Scout in training Chris Kusiolek (I really trust his opinion)

MiLB.com
Giants' Ramos rocks in first two pro games

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Down on the Farm: Do Giants have their next Matt Duffy in the minors?

"I really like the young shortstop here, Ryan Howard," Ritzo told Alex Pavlovic on The Giants Insider Podcast. "He flies under the radar here because of Reynolds and Quinn and the outfielders, but all he does is hit."

--Melvin Upton Jr. joined for the Sacramento River Cats for the first time on July 1. He went 0-for-3 and is apparently dealing with yet another injury after just one game.

-- Jarrett Parker is struggling in his rehab with the River Cats. The outfielder is now only hitting .208 in 14 games with Sacramento.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB.com updated their top 30 prospect list for the Giants. They are:

1. Christian Arroyo, ss
2. Chris Shaw, lf
3. Tyler Beede, sp
4. Heliot Ramos, cf
5. Bryan Reynolds, cf
6. Austin Slater, rf
7. Steven Duggar, rf
8. Aramis Garcia, c
9. Sandro Fabian, rf
10. Heath Quinn, rf
11. Andrew Suarez, sp
12. Joan Gregorio, sp
13. Seth Corry, rp
14. Ryder Jones, 3rd
15. Jacob Gonzalez, 3rd
16. C.J. Hinojosa, ss
17. Shaun Anderson, sp
18. Kyle Crick, rp
19. Garrett Cave, rp
20. Garrett Williams, sp
21. Sam Coonrod, sp
22. Jordan Johnson, sp
23. Melvin Adon, sp
24. Miguel Gomez, 2nd
25. Kelvin Beltre, 2nd
26. Matt Krook, sp
27. Reyes Moronta, rp
28. Rodolfo Martinez, rp
29. Stephen Woods, sp
30. Bryan Johnson, lf

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB.com updated their top 30 prospect list for the Giants. They are:

1. Christian Arroyo, ss
2. Chris Shaw, lf
3. Tyler Beede, sp
4. Heliot Ramos, cf
5. Bryan Reynolds, cf
6. Austin Slater, rf
7. Steven Duggar, rf
8. Aramis Garcia, c
9. Sandro Fabian, rf
10. Heath Quinn, rf
11. Andrew Suarez, sp
12. Joan Gregorio, sp
13. Seth Corry, rp
14. Ryder Jones, 3rd
15. Jacob Gonzalez, 3rd
16. C.J. Hinojosa, ss
17. Shaun Anderson, sp
18. Kyle Crick, rp
19. Garrett Cave, rp
20. Garrett Williams, sp
21. Sam Coonrod, sp
22. Jordan Johnson, sp
23. Melvin Adon, sp
24. Miguel Gomez, 2nd
25. Kelvin Beltre, 2nd
26. Matt Krook, sp
27. Reyes Moronta, rp
28. Rodolfo Martinez, rp
29. Stephen Woods, sp
30. Bryan Johnson, lf
I saw this the other day. Do you remember who they previously had listed at #30?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Newest prospect Shaun Anderson is headed to San Jose and he'll make his first start this Saturday. The Red Sox had him on an innings limit, and the Giants will continue that. They plan to use him with a piggy-back starter, meaning he'll start and go 3-4 innings, and then another starter (probably Mark Reyes) will follow him.

No word on Santos yet, but surely just moving over to the Giants DSL squad.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This really stinks,

Tyler Beede is out for the season. Had a groin injury in his last start.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This really stinks,

Tyler Beede is out for the season. Had a groin injury in his last start.
He had a very meh season.

In my eyes, he is AT BEST our #3 prospect right now, and I am tempted to rate Ramos ahead of him as well.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a very meh season.

In my eyes, he is AT BEST our #3 prospect right now, and I am tempted to rate Ramos ahead of him as well.

Still, I'd rather have him out there figuring stuff out. Tough to judge a pitcher in the PCL as a whole, better to look game-by-game. Reports I've seen on him say that his stuff is still there, very crisp. Really needs to lock down him command though. Facing a job opening next year, makes his hill to climb that much bigger.

Reactions: LHG

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still, I'd rather have him out there figuring stuff out. Tough to judge a pitcher in the PCL as a whole, better to look game-by-game. Reports I've seen on him say that his stuff is still there, very crisp. Really needs to lock down him command though. Facing a job opening next year, makes his hill to climb that much bigger.
Sure. But was he going to get a September cuppo, either way? I don't think so. He isn't on the 40. I feel the same about Suarez.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beede needs to be added to the 40 this offseason, so it was in the cards.
That would have required a DFA or a 60-run to get him on the 40 for September. Maybe shut down Morse officially? Cut Moncrief loose? I think they want to allow Slater to play if he has any chance to get back, and they have stuck with Cain this long, why change that now?

Bottom line, I didn't expect the team to bend over backwards to get him to SF this season. As far as baseball goes, I don't see his injury as being a huge deal. I would have preferred he was available to further work in Sacto, though, and if ducks for him personally, though.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would have required a DFA or a 60-run to get him on the 40 for September. Maybe shut down Morse officially? Cut Moncrief loose? I think they want to allow Slater to play if he has any chance to get back, and they have stuck with Cain this long, why change that now?

Bottom line, I didn't expect the team to bend over backwards to get him to SF this season. As far as baseball goes, I don't see his injury as being a huge deal. I would have preferred he was available to further work in Sacto, though, and if ducks for him personally, though.
It could be possible the Giants dfa Jordan Johnson for a 40 man spot. But they won't holdly Moncrief tightly unless he hits .600 with a 1.000 SLG. It is very possible that they would have called Beede up in September. Look at Stratton. Has he ever earned a call up, other than his pedigree?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could be possible the Giants dfa Jordan Johnson for a 40 man spot. But they won't holdly Moncrief tightly unless he hits .600 with a 1.000 SLG. It is very possible that they would have called Beede up in September. Look at Stratton. Has he ever earned a call up, other than his pedigree?
I think they are quicker to call up a guy (and start his clock) if he is a lesser prospect than if he is a legit prospect. Arroyo was called up because they thought there was a chance he was ready. Stratton was called up because they didn't care.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they are quicker to call up a guy (and start his clock) if he is a lesser prospect than if he is a legit prospect. Arroyo was called up because they thought there was a chance he was ready. Stratton was called up because they didn't care.
And I was wrong the scenario I pictured on Stratton. I thought the Giants purchased his contract before he was in need of protection. They actually purchased his contract the offseason before his call up.

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hello from vacation. I currently have a snootfull of chianti in me (no, I'm not in Italy if that's what anyone thinks, if only), so temper any reactions to this posting of mine. But having tried to catch up on what the Giants are up to across several threads, my overwhelming reaction is...I no longer have faith in the Giants front office. Their bizarre roster shuffling and cavalier treatment and movement of the kids in the farm system makes me think, finally, that they no longer (if ever they did) have a long-term plan. They're just treading water. Carlos Moncrief??? Please. Guys being yanked up, then sent down?

Time to start the clock on Bobby Evans.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hello from vacation. I currently have a snootfull of chianti in me (no, I'm not in Italy if that's what anyone thinks, if only), so temper any reactions to this posting of mine. But having tried to catch up on what the Giants are up to across several threads, my overwhelming reaction is...I no longer have faith in the Giants front office. Their bizarre roster shuffling and cavalier treatment and movement of the kids in the farm system makes me think, finally, that they no longer (if ever they did) have a long-term plan. They're just treading water. Carlos Moncrief??? Please. Guys being yanked up, then sent down?

Time to start the clock on Bobby Evans.
I'm no fan of how they've handled playing the young guys (or, rather, not playing them and just bouncing them back and forth). It does reek a bit of desperation. However, I'm not ready to start calling out Evans or say the FO doesn't know what they are doing. I may land somewhere in between some who say in the FO we trust and your current, slightly tipsy (is that okay to say?) perspective. I really do hope things start going down a little bit differently come August but I have my doubts.

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:D
I'm no fan of how they've handled playing the young guys (or, rather, not playing them and just bouncing them back and forth). It does reek a bit of desperation. However, I'm not ready to start calling out Evans or say the FO doesn't know what they are doing. I may land somewhere in between some who say in the FO we trust and your current, slightly tipsy (is that okay to say?) perspective. I really do hope things start going down a little bit differently come August but I have my doubts.

Slightly tipsy? Hmmm. I'm not s***-faced, so 'slightly tipsy' works. :heh: But I'm assuming that Sabien (in whom I have nearly total faith) has given Evans complete or near-complete control over decision-making. In which case, we have, what, two or so years of evidence of his running of the front office...as well as (coincidentally or not) nearly two years of the Giants falling on their faces on the field. The moves the Giants have made in the minors have me almost completely flummoxed. And some of the moves at the big-league level are also hard to understand. Basically, I have no idea what the Giants are up to. I can only hope that as some of the old guys come up for contract renewals (or the ending of contracts) at the end of the year, that the Giants show some good sense and say hasta la vista, baby, to Pence, Moore, Cain, etc. And FOR ONCE, give the young guys (Beede, Rogers, Arroyo, Jones, etc.) a decent and CONTINUING chance (i.e., don't call them up for a couple of games, claiming they're going to give them time to play...and then send them right back down).

And I know Bochy likes the vets, but if he's not ready to play the kids (OR if he's actively working against giving them a chance), then maybe it's time for him to step aside as well.

Now THAT ought to stir up some vitriol. :D