• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Texas Rangers offseason thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are some thoughts of Scott Lucas regarding our Rule 5/40 man roster decisions.

OF Jose Almonte – Not under consideration but worth a mention. Per custom, the Rangers spent willingly on international free agents in 2013 despite rules that would limit them to a maximum bonus of $250,000 the following year. They spent the most on Almonte, who hasn’t hit much stateside and has missed over half the schedule in each of the last two seasons because of injuries.

RHP Jairo Beras – The former outfielder and controversial signing might have the highest velocity of any Ranger eligible (at least in short bursts), but he’s awfully raw and had only middling success in low-A. I don’t see it.

IF Michael De Leon (Texas’s #28 prospect per MLB.com) – Three years ago, De Leon memorably made his pro debut in AA at the tender age of 17 before heading to Hickory. In 2017, he returned to Frisco and found conditions far less hospitable than in High Desert. De Leon is an silky smooth defender but will have to show better contact to merit a 40-man spot, in my opinion. He’s the most likely top-30 prospect to be omitted.

RHP John Fasola – Texas’s 2016 reliever the years had scouts purring during his AAA debut that May. (I was there. I heard the purr.) Unfortunately, elbow surgery erased his 2017. He’s on the bubble. At the least, you the fan should keep him in mind as someone who could help the Rangers next year.

LHP Brady Feigl – Hmm. Which Brady Feigl? Acquired for Luke Jackson last offseason, the lefty was a force of nature at times and struck out nearly one of every four batters. He also had several rough patches and was hit pretty hard on the whole. Did I mention he’s left-handed?

RHP Reed Garrett – Garrett’s 4.98 ERA in Frisco doesn’t impress, but half of his runs came in four April starts. Stronger in relief, he held opponents to a respectable .235/.322/.385. He can deal mid-90s without trouble. I think he’s down the list a bit and probably unprotected, but I won’t be surprised if he is.

RHP Jonathan Hernandez (#21) – I’d rank him higher than 21st. Like Yohander Mendez two years ago, I think Texas will protect him even though he’s yet to reach AA. Hernandez showed good improvement during the season and has a strong reliever profile if starting doesn’t pan out.

RHP Ariel Jurado
(#9) – Jurado is Texas’s highest-ranked prospect (per MLB.com) among potential R5 eligibles. I think the Rangers protect him, yet I wouldn’t be shocked if they didn’t. The 21-year-old had a trying season, allowing a .302/.350/.450 opposing line as he sought the complimentary pitches to his solid sinking fastball. He’s not ready now.

C/IF Isiah Kiner-Falefa – Virtually without power in four prior seasons, IKF hit the first five homers of his career and led the AA Texas League with 31 doubles in 2017. His occasional catching duties are no gimmick. He could become a genuinely useful 25th man, not just a guy who gathers dust at the end of the bench. I’m leaning “protect.”

LHP Brett Martin (#10) – My thoughts on Martin are similar to Jurado. The upside probably necessitates protection, but Martin had another up-and-down year beset by injury. He’s yet to reach AA. He does fit better in a bullpen role than Jurado.

LHP Joe Palumbo (#12) – The professionals understandably listed Yohander Mendez, Ariel Jurado and 2-3 other pitchers ahead of Palumbo last winter. By the time the season began, he might have been Texas’ best pitching prospect. Then, as I listened to his third start of the season on the radio, his elbow exploded. If all goes well, Palumbo could return to action next June or July. Even with the uncertainty of recovery, the arm has too much promise to risk losing. I think Texas protects him.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RHP Adam Parks – Like Fasola, Parks was in the midst of turning heads in 2016 when his elbow failed him. He underwent Tommy John surgery for the second time in his career.

RHP Pedro Payano – Payano can mix and match four pitches but lacks premium velocity, and nobody at any level of pro baseball exceeded his 25 hit batters. Maybe next year.

C Yohel Pozo – Pozo hits for contact as well as anyone in the system, but he’s just 20 and didn’t reach full-season ball until the latter half of 2017. He’d be a risky if justifiable addition. Catchers take time.

IF Juremi Profar – Profar the Younger surrendered a third of his extra-base hits and nearly half his walks in the transition from high-octane High Desert to Frisco. He’ll return to AA and hope for addition to the 40 next November.

C Jose Trevino (#13) – Trevino is a born leader and is going to reach the Majors, but he didn’t hit well in his AA debut (.241/.275/.323). Would an MLB team be willing to draft him and carry him all year as a third catcher? That seems too much to ask, but I still think Texas protects him. I said “catchers take time” but Trevino turns 25 in a few days. We’ll know what we have in him by the time his options run out.

RHP Collin Wiles – A rough final month marred his final stats, but the former supplementary 1st rounder displayed great control in a largely successful season in Frisco. I see too many names in front of him to be protected.

RHP Scott Williams – Williams lacks the increasingly commonplace upper-90s velocity, but he’s not a soft-tosser by any stretch and is as effective as anyone in the system. Playoffs included, he carries a 30-inning scoreless streak in 2018. He received a Major League camp invite in 2016 but was hurt last spring. A tough call.

RHP Sam Wolff – As you might have read though local media, Texas intended to bring up Wolff until he suffered an elbow injury, the latest of maladies that have chopped up his past three years. He’ll be out for at least the front half of 2018. So, like Palumbo, Texas must consider the risk that another team could draft Wolff, stash him on the 60-day DL until ready, send him on a month-long rehab assignment, and use September as part of his mandatory active period.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmmm, I don't totally discount Elvis opting out. Would hate to see it. But you see it happen all the time. "Player likes where he's at, team loves having him, but the player wants to a chance to win it all, and get the big bucks in the process."
I think he opts out. Boras is his agent. He always thinks he can get a better deal.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
apparently most reports have now dropped the Rangers out of the running for Ohtani. they are now listing the Yankees, the Dodgers and several others ahead of the Rangers. they have also stated that the Rangers are moving on from Darvish, Arrieta and a couple of other pitchers. supposedly the price tag on them is well outside the Rangers allowance. we appear to only have approximately 30M to spend on our 2018 needs and even 1 of them would eat up close to 2/3rds of that.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he opts out. Boras is his agent. He always thinks he can get a better deal.
i think he opts out because like his mentor, Beltre, playing for a real competitor is more important. yes money will play a factor but players want to win and what is going on with the Rangers doesn't give them the feeling that the owners and management share that desire. you should shoot for the stars not target the 2nd or 3rd tier of competition as aiming at the WC is

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that is a bad plan. stop thinking one year at a time make moves that are designed to improving the team for years not 1 year

A) My post didn't suggest that is what's happening, and B) nothing the Rangers are doing suggests that either.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A) My post didn't suggest that is what's happening, and B) nothing the Rangers are doing suggests that either.
signing medical rehabs on 1 year deals says it is what the Rangers are doing. and the reports are saying that the Rangers are looking for short term deals when all the top free agents are looking for 5 or 6 year deals. Darvish, Arrieta, Lynn, Cobb etc are not going to sign 1 or 2 year deals with the Rangers when other competitors are going to offer 5 or 6 which leaves the Rangers with the Jimenez's, Chatwood's and Cashner's of the baseball dregs.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
apparently most reports have now dropped the Rangers out of the running for Ohtani. they are now listing the Yankees, the Dodgers and several others ahead of the Rangers. they have also stated that the Rangers are moving on from Darvish, Arrieta and a couple of other pitchers. supposedly the price tag on them is well outside the Rangers allowance. we appear to only have approximately 30M to spend on our 2018 needs and even 1 of them would eat up close to 2/3rds of that.
As far as Otani goes, there is no way to know if anyone has a leg up on anyone else. We will not drop out of pursuing him until he says he is signing elsewhere.

I haven't read one report where Darvish's agent has even had talks with any of the teams yet.

I hope we don't even look into signing Arietta.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as Otani goes, there is no way to know if anyone has a leg up on anyone else. We will not drop out of pursuing him until he says he is signing elsewhere.

I haven't read one report where Darvish's agent has even had talks with any of the teams yet.

I hope we don't even look into signing Arietta.
we will just have to wait but don't be surprised if we miss on all 3 because of us being to cheap

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simply not enough movement to be giving any opinion at this time. You can be sure negotiations are in progress and until JD decides to tell us something we can know nothing solid.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simply not enough movement to be giving any opinion at this time. You can be sure negotiations are in progress and until JD decides to tell us something we can know nothing solid.
okay that's acceptable but i still feel we will be disappointed after it's all done.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
okay that's acceptable but i still feel we will be disappointed after it's all done.
Depends on what you expect. I expect 2018 is the first step to prepare the team to regain prominence again in seeking a WS.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on what you expect. I expect 2018 is the first step to prepare the team to regain prominence again in seeking a WS.
i have no problem with steps to regain prominence but no more signing 1 year medical rehabs. we have no top of the rotation pitching close to being ready for the big leagues for 3 to 5 years and the closest thing on the roster right now is a seemingly declining Hamels who moves on after this coming season. we need to sign at least 1 or 2 quality pitchers now to long term contracts in the area of 5 or 6 year deals so that as our young pitchers move up they have good examples to work and learn from. Perez, Cashner, Jimenez etc are not those teachers.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i have no problem with steps to regain prominence but no more signing 1 year medical rehabs. we have no top of the rotation pitching close to being ready for the big leagues for 3 to 5 years and the closest thing on the roster right now is a seemingly declining Hamels who moves on after this coming season. we need to sign at least 1 or 2 quality pitchers now to long term contracts in the area of 5 or 6 year deals so that as our young pitchers move up they have good examples to work and learn from. Perez, Cashner, Jimenez etc are not those teachers.
JD knows what to do. Again not enough movement to know what is best until a few things break. Be patient.