• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Spring Training Thread

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bochy said he expects Smith to be okay for Opening Day but he's no doctor. The MRI came back clear, but he could be in jeopardy. Osich and Okert better be ready.
I know that it is simply a precaution, having him rest a week, but elbow issues can get really scary really fast. If he has to sit a week longer, he may be starting the season on the DL.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that it is simply a precaution, having him rest a week, but elbow issues can get really scary really fast. If he has to sit a week longer, he may be starting the season on the DL.

Yeah one of the beats said they laid out a plan for him and he would be ready for Opening Day if he meets all the goals, but any set back probably starts him in the DL.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah one of the beats said they laid out a plan for him and he would be ready for Opening Day if he meets all the goals, but any set back probably starts him in the DL.
I saw that too, which is why I wrote that. Guess I should have mentioned that.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No love for Parker? I don't think they want to lose a talent like his. Sure he has his flaws but they haven't given him enough time to cut bait yet.

I can also see all 3 fitting in.

I'm rooting for the guy, but I don't see him being productive at AT&T or in the NL in general. But, I'm happy to be wrong.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm rooting for the guy, but I don't see him being productive at AT&T or in the NL in general. But, I'm happy to be wrong.
You much be a very cheery person, in general...

:dhd:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Quit lyin', playa! :heh:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You much be a very cheery person, in general...

:dhd:
I'm just saying...I think we're going to win the division this year. But, I just don't see JPark as a contributing piece to that. But hey, I LOVED the signing of Zito, so what do I know.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just saying...I think we're going to win the division this year. But, I just don't see JPark as a contributing piece to that. But hey, I LOVED the signing of Zito, so what do I know.

Zito earned every dime of that contract in 2012 so you weren't wrong.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
plus he hung the nickname 'kung fu panda' on sandoval. merchandise from all the panda gear more that offset his salary :nod:
Yup. Not sure the panda merch fully offset the contract, but 2012 AND the panda merch certainly makes the contract at least a wash.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at all in '16, but now in the very first ST game.

Nice.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at all in '16, but now in the very first ST game.

Nice.

Hopefully a sign.

Chris Marerro, a big, right-handed, power hitting 1st baseman, with the walk-off 3-run homer. The MiLB free agents the Giants went after this offseason all had nice games: Neil Ramirez, Orlando Calixte, Chris Marrero, Wynton Bernard, even Roberto Gomez was throwing in the high 90s.

Good to have baseball back

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully a sign.

Chris Marerro, a big, right-handed, power hitting 1st baseman, with the walk-off 3-run homer. The MiLB free agents the Giants went after this offseason all had nice games: Neil Ramirez, Orlando Calixte, Chris Marrero, Wynton Bernard, even Roberto Gomez was throwing in the high 90s.

Good to have baseball back

Crick pitched one inning and only gave up one walk! Baby steps. :D

Reactions: LHG

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A thought on Marrero, if he has a huge spring (off to a great start in that regard), it is very possible he forces his way onto the team. He is out of options and so he would have to clear waivers. He bats right-handed, so he can fill that right-handed power bat off the bench Bochy is looking for, and has spent time in the OF, so he can back up LF.

Giants are very high on him and would probably rather not lose him. Keep an eye on him this Spring. He may just force the Giants' hand. By the way, he's still a young guy. Only 6 months older than Jarrett Parker.

My prediction still stands at Parker-Gorkys-Ruggiano rounding out the OF, but I could see Marrero pushing Ruggiano if he totally kills it.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A thought on Marrero, if he has a huge spring (off to a great start in that regard), it is very possible he forces his way onto the team. He is out of options and so he would have to clear waivers. He bats right-handed, so he can fill that right-handed power bat off the bench Bochy is looking for, and has spent time in the OF, so he can back up LF.

Giants are very high on him and would probably rather not lose him. Keep an eye on him this Spring. He may just force the Giants' hand. By the way, he's still a young guy. Only 6 months older than Jarrett Parker.

My prediction still stands at Parker-Gorkys-Ruggiano rounding out the OF, but I could see Marrero pushing Ruggiano if he totally kills it.
He isn't currently on the forty, so he would not have to clear waivers. However, he may have an out in his contract (I have no idea if he does, though I doubt he does, usually only bigger names have outs, like Rollins).

Last edited by a moderator:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He isn't currently on the fourth, so he would not have to clear waivers. However, he may have an out in his contract (I have no idea if he does, though I doubt he does, usually only bigger names have outs, like Rollins).

Duh, thanks for reminding me. I'm not sure if he has an opt-out or not, they generally do though I'm sure we'll find out as the Spring goes on.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He isn't currently on the forty, so he would not have to clear waivers. However, he may have an out in his contract (I have no idea if he does, though I doubt he does, usually only bigger names have outs, like Rollins).
Apparently, Andrew Baggarly is thinking something similar - Giants' Chris Marrero impresses with walk-off homer in spring opener.

I cannot find anything about an opt-out in his contract.