• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Season Officially Starts Today

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brandin Cooks' chemistry with Tom Brady among Pats' OTA storylines
5:00 AM ET
  • i

Mike Reiss ESPN Staff Writer
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The New England Patriots move to the third phase of the voluntary offseason program this week, holding their first organized team activity on Monday. Players can now be at the facility for up to six hours and take part in 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 drills.

While the first OTA open to the media isn’t until Thursday, here are a few things of particular interest in the no-pads setting:

Cooks’ chemistry. The Patriots are loaded at wide receiver with the addition of speedy Brandin Cooks, who joins an already solid depth chart of Julian Edelman, Chris Hogan, Malcolm Mitchell and Danny Amendola. When watching an OTA, it is commonplace to hear quarterback Tom Brady talking to his pass-catchers about how precise he likes routes to be run as the work begins to develop a foundation to take into training camp. Cooks, in particular, will be one to watch.

Malcolm Butler would be back in New England, the Patriots can now boast that they have arguably one of the NFL’s best 1-2 cornerback tandems with Butler and Stephon Gilmore. This will be their first chance to work together in 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 drills -- where coaches often stress the importance of communication -- with reporters also potentially getting a feel for which cornerback the coaching staff currently views as the top option in the slot in a three-corner nickel package.

Any sign of Gronkowski? Tight end Rob Gronkowski is making progress in his return from back surgery that prematurely ended his 2016 season, and this will be a chance for further context on how far along he is. If Gronkowski can get in the ring as part of a WWE show, is it unreasonable to think he could be on the field in a non-contact, no-pads setting?

A new look at running back. While running backs coach Ivan Fears has passionately pointed out that it isn’t real football until players are in full pads, this will be a first look at how natural Mike Gillislee and Rex Burkhead look catching the football. They join James White, Dion Lewis and D.J. Foster atop the depth chart in a new-look backfield. The Patriots no longer have a big, power rusher with LeGarrette Blount now in Philadelphia, as Gillislee has a similar physical makeup as Stevan Ridley at 218 pounds.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brandin Cooks' chemistry with Tom Brady among Pats' OTA storylines
5:00 AM ET
  • i

Mike Reiss ESPN Staff Writer
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The New England Patriots move to the third phase of the voluntary offseason program this week, holding their first organized team activity on Monday. Players can now be at the facility for up to six hours and take part in 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 drills.

While the first OTA open to the media isn’t until Thursday, here are a few things of particular interest in the no-pads setting:

Cooks’ chemistry. The Patriots are loaded at wide receiver with the addition of speedy Brandin Cooks, who joins an already solid depth chart of Julian Edelman, Chris Hogan, Malcolm Mitchell and Danny Amendola. When watching an OTA, it is commonplace to hear quarterback Tom Brady talking to his pass-catchers about how precise he likes routes to be run as the work begins to develop a foundation to take into training camp. Cooks, in particular, will be one to watch.

Malcolm Butler would be back in New England, the Patriots can now boast that they have arguably one of the NFL’s best 1-2 cornerback tandems with Butler and Stephon Gilmore. This will be their first chance to work together in 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 drills -- where coaches often stress the importance of communication -- with reporters also potentially getting a feel for which cornerback the coaching staff currently views as the top option in the slot in a three-corner nickel package.

Any sign of Gronkowski? Tight end Rob Gronkowski is making progress in his return from back surgery that prematurely ended his 2016 season, and this will be a chance for further context on how far along he is. If Gronkowski can get in the ring as part of a WWE show, is it unreasonable to think he could be on the field in a non-contact, no-pads setting?

A new look at running back. While running backs coach Ivan Fears has passionately pointed out that it isn’t real football until players are in full pads, this will be a first look at how natural Mike Gillislee and Rex Burkhead look catching the football. They join James White, Dion Lewis and D.J. Foster atop the depth chart in a new-look backfield. The Patriots no longer have a big, power rusher with LeGarrette Blount now in Philadelphia, as Gillislee has a similar physical makeup as Stevan Ridley at 218 pounds.
BK OTAs were closed to the media today. Did you pick up any nuggets though?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The media cannot attend any workouts until Thursday....heh heh

From an "un-named" source...............

Scar put the linemen through a sweaty, huff n puff up/down workout. Supposedly, like nothing anyone has ever seen. The rumor is that everyone was saying, "Thank God I'm not an offensive lineman."

Brady AND JG put the WR through an epic route running and timing drill. A lot of balls hit nothing but turf.

The humor was that it was a Karate Kid practice. Pads on......Pads off, Pads on....Pads off. Drills....Pads on, Break and water....pads off.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Scar put the linemen through a sweaty, huff n puff up/down workout. Supposedly, like nothing anyone has ever seen. The rumor is that everyone was saying, "Thank God I'm not an offensive lineman."

Brady AND JG put the WR through an epic route running and timing drill. A lot of balls hit nothing but turf.

The humor was that it was a Karate Kid practice. Pads on......Pads off, Pads on....Pads off. Drills....Pads on, Break and water....pads off.

They beat the Falcons with conditioning.
Have to be even more conditioned this year.

Have to be ready to "Play for 75".

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well the older I get the closer mine seem to the turf.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belichick spoke to the media shortly. "These OTAs are the learning curve that every Patriots' player must adapt."
"This is where we find out if a player has the mental and physical ability to do was is needed to play for this team"

Then he literally killed the press conference......."That's it. There's nothing more to say. No one is getting cut and we haven't done enough work to evaluate anyone."

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone know how Hodges meeting went with NE? I have not heard much on that front.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawkins ran a 4.34 40 I wonder if he can return kicks/punts? What's up with another 5' nothing WR?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Street is 6'3" and Hawkins is 5'7" I don't get it, but Belichick knows something I don't.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Street is 6'3" and Hawkins is 5'7" I don't get it, but Belichick knows something I don't.

I am curious what he signed for dollar wise.

For example...Michael Floyd signed with the Vikings for $1.5 mil.
Floyd, 27, is former 1st round pick , 6'3", 220 lbs and had some experience/success with the Pats last year.
Hawkins, 31, went undrafted, 5'7" 180 lbs on his fifth team.

I would have thought Floyd would have more upside and potential to stick around for the whole year (after his home confinement) and maybe longer.
But I am not Bill. Bill has...how many rings now?
Enough two hands are needed to show them all.

ohiopatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To put it in perspective, Hawkins is the same weight and 2" shorter than Welker. Out here in NE Ohio, he was a fan darling because of his speed, hands and shiftiness. With Josh Gordon AWOL most of the time, he was the Browns "go-to" guy for their beleaguerered QB's. After several years with mediocre teams, I'm sure he is looking for one last chance to grab a championship ring. Despite his speed, Hawkins did not return punts or kickoffs. He would need to beat out TB favorite Amendola to have a shot at a roster spot.
I hope the Pats are able to hold onto the UDFA slot receiver out of Northwestern, Austin Carr (if he is as good as advertised). This guy would be the eventual replacement for Dola and/or Edelman. I seem to remember another UDFA slot receiver with a similar resume who never made it with the Pats as a Welker backup. In fact, I think he also came from Northwestern. Anybody remember his name?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Cyrus Jones still hasn't figured out how to catch a punt and the WR's struggled holding onto the football.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Patriots will keep 5 WRs for sure, maybe Bill will keep six. One will be inactive every week.

Edelman, Cooks, Mitchell and Hogan are guaranteed. That leaves, Amendola, Carr, Hawkins.

Let's say Bill decides to keep 6. Send Carr to PS and if anyone gets dinged, Carr comes to the big club.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brandin Cooks knows he'll still probably have to stash the arrows in 2017

By Phil Perry May 25, 2017 3:05 PM

FOXBORO -- Toward the end of Thursday's OTA practice at Gillette Stadium, Patriots receiver Brandin Cooks caught a touchdown from Tom Brady in the back corner of the end zone despite close coverage from corner Malcolm Butler. Cooks reached behind him, as if he was pulling an invisible arrow from an invisible quiver on his back, starting what was once his signature touchdown celebration.

But he stopped there.

"I didn't want to shoot it," he said with a smile after the workout. "Just having fun out there with the guys, competing every day. That's what it's all about."

Cooks may have to continue showing restraint during the regular season when it comes to his post-touchdown choices. Even though the NFL has eased off of the penalties for certain celebrations, Cooks still probably won't be shooting any arrows in 2017.

"No, I'm gonna be respectful," he said. "If it's a penalty, it's a penalty. I'm not going to do anything to hurt the team . . . I think it still will be [a penalty]."

Cooks was not able to execute his preferred celebration after it was made clear last season that imitating archery was off-limits. Josh Norman was fined $10,000 last season for his bow-and-arrow act.

There is a biblical origin story to Cooks' celebration, he told the New Orleans Advocate last year.

"Send forth lightning and scatter your enemy, and shoot your arrows and rout them," Cooks said, referring to Psalms 144:6. "I just remember it sticking with me for such a long time, I remember thinking, maybe I can do something with this."

He added: ”I’ve been doing it for three years now, and there was never a complaint about it. Now, all of a sudden, there is. It just reminds me that, it's almost as if they try to take so much away from us, but for something like this, that means so much to someone that has nothing to do with violence, it's frustrating. I'll definitely continue to speak my opinion about it, and if they have a problem with it, so be it."

After the NFL announced that it was relaxing its policy on penalizing celebrations, Cooks tweeted "#shootyourarrows" four times with several bow-and-arrow emojis. But just a few days later, he appeared resigned to keeping his celebration in moth balls so that his team wouldn't be penalized for an act that the league might deem "threatening." He wasn't thrilled.

"It's for God," he said, "so if that's threatening, then I think we've got a problem."

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The media finally got a chance to see the 2017 New England patriots on the field and at work...........

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The media finally got a chance to see the 2017 New England patriots on the field and at work...........
OOOpppsss

PFW’s Patriots OTA Blogservations
Thursday, May 25, 2017 4:57 PM EDT
80x80-andy-hart-headshot-2015_0.png

By Andy Hart
Patriots Football Weeky

Questions for Ask PFW | Blog

Patriots make a series of transactions

Patriots sign WR DeAndrew White

Austin Carr 5/23: 'I can tell why the Patriots win: strong leadership and team atmosphere'

LATEST NEWS
PFW’s Patriots OTA Blogservations
Butler, Patriots back to work at OTAs
Patriots sign WR Andrew Hawkins
Hawkins celebrates signing with hilarious video
News Blitz: Hawk lands in Foxborough

LIVE NOW
ReplayPatriots Replay

Thu., May. 25, 2017 3:00 PM to 11:59 PM EDT

Bill Belichick’s Patriots are no longer five weeks behind the rest of the NFL.

That was one of the nuggets from the New England coach’s meeting with the media prior to the Patriots OTA practice Thursday morning on the fields behind Gillette Stadium.

With the draft, free agency and the bulk of the offseason roster building in the books, Belichick’s team is now laying the practice field foundation that players build on later this summer and into the 2017 season. The defending champs are just like every other 90-man roster across the league – working to get better at every opportunity.

In the first week of the third phase of the NFL’s offseason program, Thursday marked the first time the media had viewing access to New England’s OTA action that began earlier this week.

Unfortunately the weather may have been the biggest story of the day, with cold, rainy, breezy conditions making for a true wet-ball environment for the two-hour session. That certainly manifested itself with deflected passes and some punt return struggles.

The session took place with players in jerseys, helmets and shorts/leggings/sweats. It included plenty of individual, group and 11-on-11 team action, but no contact.

The good news, though, was that the technically voluntary work included the bulk of the Patriots roster with stars Tom Brady, Rob Gronkowski, Julian Edelman, Malcolm Butler, Stephon Gilmore, Brandin Cooks and others competing through the soggy action.

Here are one man’s blogservations of all the action, seen from beneath a rain-soaked hood and written in the now-blurred ink of a notebook that sadly fell into a puddle:

--Those players not seen on the field for the start of the workout were Dont’a Hightower, Malcolm Mitchell, Alan Branch, Stephen Gostkowski, Joe Cardona and Max Rich.

Andrew Jelks, an undrafted rookie tackle out of Vanderbilt, was on the field in his jersey but did not have a helmet on. He did not appear to take part in the workout, but rather watched from behind the action throughout.

--Veteran linebacker Jonathan Freeny, who finished last season on injured reserve with a shoulder issue, wore a red, non-contact jersey. The three quarterbacks were the only other players in the red jerseys.

--The twin practice fields are currently orientated in an East-West direction for the spring. They generally get repainted and rotated to a North-South setup for training camp.

--Rookie defensive lineman Deatrich Wise Jr. took the practice field with large knee braces on both legs that seem to give him a rather unique gait.

--Despite the red jersey, Freeny took an active role as middle linebacker and playcaller with the defensive huddle in pre-practice, walk-through action.

--The offensive and defensive units went at each other in some three-quarter-speed walk-through action prior to practice in the red zone. The newcomer Gilmore recorded a pair of interceptions on Jimmy Garoppolo passes intended for Julian Edelman in the “action.”

--The early practice form running and warmups had a slightly new setup. The defense, in its blue jerseys, was on the far sideline with players lined up in small groups on each 5-yard line. The white-wearing offense was on the near side in similar lines. The two sides would then do their form running – such as high knees – halfway across the field and then back to their beginning sideline.

--For what it’s worth, Tom Brady, Garoppolo and Jacoby Brissett were in one line together for the form running.

--It’s always interesting to see what new pads, dummies and equipment are added to the practice field with the new year. Unfortunately there wasn’t a lot to see on Thursday. The most notable was the use of a pad on end of a stick used in joust-like fashion to poke at ball carriers or receivers. It’s kind of reminiscent of one end of the apparatus used in the joust segment on American Gladiators back in the day.

--During early practice work tight ends Rob Gronkowski and Dwayne Allen caught passes with the wide receivers, while the likes of Matt Lengel, Sam Cotton, Glenn Gronkowski, Jacob Hollister and James O’Shaughnessy worked with the running backs. Allen didn’t have a great day catching the ball overall, including a couple drops in the individual work with the receivers.

--The quarterbacks worked on their seven-step drops and then stepping up in the pocket to avoid ball boys with pads in individual work. On one of the first reps Garoppolo slipped down pretty hard as he planted his back foot on the top of his drop. He bounced to his feet quickly and seemed no worse for the wear.