• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Off season Thread

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rangers got Shatt at ~6.5 x 4 years. That's not bad at all. Short term. Apparently he took less money to play for his childhood team. Oh well, nothing you can do there if you're shero and made him the best offer.

We can always chase fowler next year. Nevermind, looks like Anaheim is closing in on a mega extension.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fowler got extended. This one stings a bit. Unless a trade happens (doubtfup) our D will still be a disaster next year unless young guys take huge steps.

Next step Kovy signs in Russia. Alzner and Shatt both good deals, bummer.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
rumor is that shatenkirk turned down 7 years and 7 million from us to take a 4 year 6 million from the rangers. YIKES that is embarrassing!

i get the hometown discount but we are a state away in nj come on.

this team is a huge rebuild so i wasn't expecting him coming here and honestly i'm not expecting great things this year. this team is going to go through massive growing pains. the good news is that the #1 pick next year is a lights out legit d man i heard

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
rumor is that shatenkirk turned down 7 years and 7 million from us to take a 4 year 6 million from the rangers. YIKES that is embarrassing!

i get the hometown discount but we are a state away in nj come on.

this team is a huge rebuild so i wasn't expecting him coming here and honestly i'm not expecting great things this year. this team is going to go through massive growing pains. the good news is that the #1 pick next year is a lights out legit d man i heard

Shattenkirk might have saved us from ourselves here. 6.5x4 and 7x7 are insanely different ballparks. Can't get too frustrated, we're definitely moving in the right direction in terms of stocking the prospects again. Takes a little bit of time.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Also, the most substantial thing to take away from this is how Shero has completely cleared the way for the young guys. Hall, Zajac, Henrique, Palmieri and Boyle are the only vets left at F.

That means:
Zacha
Nico
Wood
Blender
Lappin
Noesen
McCleod
Speers
Quenville

Have huge chances to make the opening night roster. Need to see what they can do.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the hell are we going to offer Hall to keep him here?

Governorship?

His own Island?

Rename the bloody state?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm more disappointed in Shattenkirk passing up on our high offer rather than Shattenkirk himself passing us over...

We can't even overpay people to be here? damn.....

bull mularky.... !!!!

TheSgtDabbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course it would be the Rangers...just rub our faces in it why don't they.

Oh well. Things are moving in the right direction. I'd rather not overpay for a defenseman when the team would still struggle to score goals.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough to argue against playing for your favorite team. If I was a pro hockey player it would take something miraculous for me to sign with the Rangers over the Devils.

KingOfNJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Long time since I've posted but have kept up with the posts/threads here and there.

My two cents on today/state of the team

I think when Ray first took the job and what he inherited, he pitched a 5 year plan to ownership in that by year 5 we're a playoff team and we have assets/organizational depth to be competitive over the following 5 years.

With getting lucky and winning the lotto (Nico) and having a 28 mill(!!!) in cap space, I believe Ray's plan was to go hard for Shattenkirk and essentially cut a year into the rebuild. Shattenkirk would not have made us a playoff team this year but he would have filled a huuuugggee void for this team today/down the line.

But (as always) the most prized free agent goes across the river. Cant blame Ray, as he took a big discount to go play for his home-town team. Cant knock it, I'm sure alot of players would do the same given the circumstances. He's still getting a ton of money over the next 4 years.

With that said, I'm glad we didn't throw out big money/long contracts to any of the guys that got signed today and hope we still don't on any remaining players (Radulov) It was Shatty or bust. Would have liked Stone, but he never hit the market.

I know this thing sucks, but this rebuild is exactly what this organization needs if we have any chance of repeating our past success in being a contender/playoff team year after year. Ray & Co have had two really strong drafts in the past two years and it needs to continue for at least the next two in order to start seeing results on the ice.

Still plenty of time in the offseason to address our needs, but it looks like the plan is to play a bunch of kids this upcoming season and see what they got.

My only concern (and this is waaayyy to early) is that we continue to be drafting within the top 10 over the next 3 years and Hall bolts as soon as he can. Would be a major step backwards to lose him

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might just get Shatt on for this but I personally wouldn't mind the return of Jagr. And I was never going to buy a Shattenkirk jersey to begin with.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
King welcome back and good post. Agree with you. SJ, I know I would take Jagr over Boyle. Always liked Jagr. Guy does not age.

TheSgtDabbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I one of the few that hope Kovy somehow comes back? Aside from the fact that I bought his jersey and have still yet to wear it (for obvious reasons), he could instantly make this team dangerous with that ridiculous shot that goes in before the goalie realized he took it in the first place. He's a guy that you have to pay extra attention to when he's on the ice, opening up room for other guys (Hall, Rico, Nico, etc.).

I know it's not gonna happen and I still have my sour grapes with him, but man do I miss watching him play.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I one of the few that hope Kovy somehow comes back? Aside from the fact that I bought his jersey and have still yet to wear it (for obvious reasons), he could instantly make this team dangerous with that ridiculous shot that goes in before the goalie realized he took it in the first place. He's a guy that you have to pay extra attention to when he's on the ice, opening up room for other guys (Hall, Rico, Nico, etc.).

I know it's not gonna happen and I still have my sour grapes with him, but man do I miss watching him play.

I think our power play would be lights out with Kovy. That said I feel like if NJ was where he wanted to play he'd have signed already but could be wrong.

KingOfNJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No shot Kovy plays here and I doubt he even comes back this year. I think he stays in Russia. At this point I don't even think we get much for him.

I'd take Jagr back on a 1 year deal just so the young guys have a mentor this year. He'd still be an asset to flip at the deadline. I'm surprised Pitt hasn't reached out to him. He'd be a perfect fit there.

TheSgtDabbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our power play would be lights out with Kovy. That said I feel like if NJ was where he wanted to play he'd have signed already but could be wrong.

You're probably right. I just think it would be awesome. That said, I am interested to see how the team fairs as it stands now. May not look amazing on paper but with lots of young guys in it's really anyones guess.