• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Lions Free Agency thread

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumored that NE DT Alan Branch could land here. He would be an upgrade, but he is a temporary fix. Just another Ngata IMO.

Would like to hear something about Zeitler from CIN, but nothing yet.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That or someone like Ronald Leary from DAL

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumored that NE DT Alan Branch could land here. He would be an upgrade, but he is a temporary fix. Just another Ngata IMO.

Would like to hear something about Zeitler from CIN, but nothing yet.

Zeitler is gonna cost an arm and a leg. I feel like we can find a guy in the draft.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zeitler is gonna cost an arm and a leg. I feel like we can find a guy in the draft.

That has been Quinn's MO so thats probably what will happen most likely.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a lot of talk about Joe Dahl. The guy can play any position on the line and looked good in preseason, but got no love from Caldwell. He might get a shot at both RG and RT. LT played better at RG, but is no better in pass pro then Warford and not as good a run blocker. Make or break time for him.

Reiff and Warford just were not that good IMO. Warford can run block well but is a flat out liability in pass pro. Reiff is average and can be beaten by speed on the outside. Glad we tried him at RT but the guy should probably be a guard. He is just too slow.

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that we have much of a choice, but I'll trust management's decisions on keeping this O-line together or letting some pieces walk in free agency. It would be great to see the unit prosper over the next several years. That said, each piece has to deliver value.

I'd rather see the Lions do nothing to bring in players during free agency as much as keep the right players. If that means keeping everyone we currently have, great. Making the lines better, O and D, has to be a priority.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see BQ looking at a blocking TE as a must during FA. Unless he has his eyes on a late round TE in the draft. Ebron, Wright, Wick and any other guy who attempted to help block on the edge sucked. Hell, these guys could barley perform a chip before entering their route. Not sure who it will be, but the run game is not just the five up front.

I watched Ebron too many times do a clean release with no contact with a outside rusher and people expext Rieff or Decker to compete with that. Which 90% of the time resulted in a hurry or a pressure. The other 10% Rieff gave up the sack...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would like to see AJ Klein come in for a visit. Don't see Panthers paying him to remain a backup when he can get starter money elsewhere. Kid is young and proved he was solid in backup roles for Luke and Davis. He will start somewhere next year. He won't break the bank either.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would like to see AJ Klein come in for a visit. Don't see Panthers paying him to remain a backup when he can get starter money elsewhere. Kid is young and proved he was solid in backup roles for Luke and Davis. He will start somewhere next year. He won't break the bank either.

Not before the draft though. We will see how that goes first, but Klein probably would not be too happy here if we just used him as a blocker. Blocking TE needs to be updated though. I would be OK with an offensive change where we use more traditional TEs and get rid of the TEINOs(TE in name only). Especially if they do not have good hands.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not before the draft though. We will see how that goes first, but Klein probably would not be too happy here if we just used him as a blocker. Blocking TE needs to be updated though. I would be OK with an offensive change where we use more traditional TEs and get rid of the TEINOs(TE in name only). Especially if they do not have good hands.

Used a yuuuge pic for effect as always. He's a LB for the Panthers

Carolina+Panthers+v+Arizona+Cardinals+GO2IHrrlI_Yl.jpg

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Used a yuuuge pic for effect as always. He's a LB for the Panthers

Carolina+Panthers+v+Arizona+Cardinals+GO2IHrrlI_Yl.jpg

Oh my bad. Thought he was Olsen's backup. Couldnt tell you who the backup TE in Carolina is either. Was taking your word for it that he was good. Never really heard of him. Have to take a look.

We certainly need LB help. Thats another position Quinn will probably want to address in the draft instead of FA, but if everyone passes him up and he becomes a bargain at that point it would not surprise me if he went after him.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"According to Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline, free agent RG Kevin Zeitler is expected to sign a deal "close to $10 million per year, if not slightly over that amount."

Steelers RG David DeCastro and Bears RG Kyle Long both make $10 million per year as the league's two highest-paid right guards. With the inflation of the salary cap and Zeitler already one of the best guards in the game, he could easily top $10 million per year. Pauline hears the Bengals aren't prepared to go that high for Zeitler. Zeitler is arguably the top offensive lineman available."

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take Josh Gordon, I do not care how often he smokes pot.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"According to Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline, free agent RG Kevin Zeitler is expected to sign a deal "close to $10 million per year, if not slightly over that amount."

Steelers RG David DeCastro and Bears RG Kyle Long both make $10 million per year as the league's two highest-paid right guards. With the inflation of the salary cap and Zeitler already one of the best guards in the game, he could easily top $10 million per year. Pauline hears the Bengals aren't prepared to go that high for Zeitler. Zeitler is arguably the top offensive lineman available."

As much as I hate paying interior lineman, He would change the whole dynamic of our O-line

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 25-year-old Warford is the younger of the pair and should be more expensive to retain, having started in all 57 of his appearances since the Lions chose him in the third round of the 2013 draft. Warford ranked as Pro Football Focus’ 20th-best guard last year, and he could end up with a $9MM-per-annum payday in the coming weeks.

I would rather pay Zeitler 10 million a year than Warford 9 million a year.

This ^^^^.

Reiff has proven now he is not a high level Tackle on either side. He just cant handle speed. I would be OK if we ended up with him at Guard though some team will probably pay him. Warford could still revert to form next year so keeping him would not be the end of the world, but we dont need both. They are both Guards in my eyes.

Best part of this article is at the end where it says Orlovsky will definitely be a free agent. I think every Lions article should end with that line. Even a shitty article would still look great that way.